Send license and PTA together to skip a months waiting?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Send license and PTA together to skip a months waiting?

Post by jays » 29 Sep 2013, 11:57 am

Hi all,

I've got my license paperwork etc. ready to go to post Monday, haven't done my PTA yes as I'm still tossing up between a few different rifles.

Instructions for completing it all say you've got to wait 4 weeks for your license, then 4 weeks for first firearm.

A guy at my local store said you can mail them together and skip the second 4 week waiting period. Is that right?

Would I be better to delay off sending in my license application for a few days until I make up my mind on exactly what rifle to put on my PTA. then sending them both together?

Or should I send my license application now to get the ball rolling and send in my PTA in due course?

Don't want to rush the decision and buy the wrong thing obviously, but keen to start shooting so it would be awesome if I could skip a month waiting :D

Thanks.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Send license and PTA together to skip a months waiting?

Post by Herdsman » 30 Sep 2013, 10:26 am

Yep, you can send them together and skip a little of the waiting.

As you said, it's 4 weeks for your licence and 4 weeks for your first PTA but they don't have to be one after the other.

If you send in your license application and PTA, they'll process them both but not issue your PTA until your licence has been approved and you've waited 4+ weeks as part of the whole process.

If you send in just your license applications and wait 4-5 weeks to get it back, then send in your PTA it goes to the bottom of the pile and you have to wait till they get to it again.

If you can make your mind up in a few days then wait and send them both in together.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 30 Sep 2013, 10:29 am

Send them together.

I did this back when I got my license/first pta and I think from memory I had to wait about 6 weeks total for everything to be done.

If you do them one after the other you'll likely end up waiting 9-10 weeks total.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jays » 30 Sep 2013, 10:39 am

Lorgar wrote:Send them together.

I did this back when I got my license/first pta and I think from memory I had to wait about 6 weeks total for everything to be done.

If you do them one after the other you'll likely end up waiting 9-10 weeks total.

Righto. Cheers.

I'm tossing up between 2 options for my rifle but will decide sooner rather than later. I'll hold off for a few days and send everything together.

Thanks all.
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws