First gun safe inspection just done

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

First gun safe inspection just done

Post by harris » 02 Oct 2013, 9:10 am

So after a year and a bit from getting my shooting license, I got a knock on this morning to find a police officer asking for me by name.

Made my heart jump for a second I can tell ya :lol:

Anyway, he was there for a gun safe inspection obviously, and all went pretty smooth.

My gun safe is bolted to the brick in my garage which has a single roller door. The cop asked if I had an alarm installed in the garage which I don't, and he said that's ok. It's not mandatory but they like people to have them which is fair enough.

In and out in less than 10 minutes, so not a big deal.

Wasn't quite sure what to expect as you hear the occasional horror story about safe inspections from the fuzz, but it was all pretty painless. So there you go.
Guns don’t kill people, husbands who come home early from work kill people
harris
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: First gun safe inspection just done

Post by Press » 02 Oct 2013, 11:21 am

harris wrote:Wasn't quite sure what to expect as you hear the occasional horror story about safe inspections from the fuzz, but it was all pretty painless. So there you go.

99% of the time they're easy done.

I know a few people who've had tougher inspections but they brought it on themselves by not being real co-operative with the copper.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Monty » 02 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

Press wrote:99% of the time they're easy done.

I know a few people who've had tougher inspections but they brought it on themselves by not being real co-operative with the copper.

Or they have a bit of history. I read a thread some time back where someone apparently had 6 officers turn up who gave his house the once over and 2-3 of them got together to pull a safe lose from the wall as and excuse to confiscate their firearms.

I don't know the full story obviously, but I don't really picture 6 police going anywhere without some previously established good cause.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 02 Oct 2013, 1:25 pm

Yeah they shouldn't be a big deal.

You only ever hear the problem stories is why everyone gets in a huff over them. Most of the guys who do the inspections are fine. Half are FA enthusiasts themselves who are happy to have a chat about your toys :D
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 02 Oct 2013, 1:31 pm

Monty wrote:I don't know the full story obviously, but I don't really picture 6 police going anywhere without some previously established good cause.

I can't say I'm a fan of having the police inspect my setup, but yeah... Tough to believe 6 police turning up was for a run-of-the-mill check.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Khan » 02 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm

For the first couple of weeks after I got my license I thought every knock at the door was the cops springing an inspection on me, lol.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Beechy » 02 Oct 2013, 6:55 pm

If you're not home can they inspect anyway?
"Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
Remington 700 TAC21 308 - H&R Tamer/ATI 410 - Winchester 94 22M
www.australasiansurvivalistguild.com
Beechy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by saywhaaat » 02 Oct 2013, 7:07 pm

Beechy wrote:If you're not home can they inspect anyway?

His safe was behind a roller door? They've have to break in to inspect it if he wasn't there :P
saywhaaat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 02 Oct 2013, 7:09 pm

No. Strictly speaking they are supposed to make an appointment with you, as you are required to let them inspect your gun safe but it has to be at a "mutually agreeable time".

They might turn up at your door if they're in the area or something or can't reach you, but you can refuse and make an appointment for later.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Beechy » 02 Oct 2013, 7:59 pm

saywhaaat wrote:

His safe was behind a roller door? They've have to break in to inspect it if he wasn't there :P

Well, obviously.... But to articulate my question better, Can my partner let them in to inspect if I am not there? I vaguely remember the firearm safety instructor saying that no-one is supposed to have safe keys but me.
"Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
Remington 700 TAC21 308 - H&R Tamer/ATI 410 - Winchester 94 22M
www.australasiansurvivalistguild.com
Beechy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 02 Oct 2013, 8:04 pm

Beechy wrote:Well, obviously.... But to articulate my question better, Can my partner let them in to inspect if I am not there? I vaguely remember the firearm safety instructor saying that no-one is supposed to have safe keys but me.

If you're the only license holder yes, only you must have the keys.

If your partner is licensed for everything that's in the safe, she can show them if you want.

But if she had an A license only, and there were A/B firearms in the safe, or if she had no license at all... You'd be in the s**t.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by saywhaaat » 02 Oct 2013, 8:05 pm

Beechy wrote:Well, obviously.... But to articulate my question better, Can my partner let them in to inspect if I am not there? I vaguely remember the firearm safety instructor saying that no-one is supposed to have safe keys but me.

Just poking fun Chief :)

No harm intended.
saywhaaat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws