Transporting firearms without car/license?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Transporting firearms without car/license?

Post by Boatman » 02 Oct 2013, 9:57 am

A mate of mine (through his own stupid fault) has recently lost his drivers license and is no a pedestrian for the next 6 months.

He doesn't shoot, but it got me thinking... How's someone supposed to transport their firearms without a car?

I know it's your own fault for loosing it so you can't complain about any inconvenience afterwards, but does it basically mean your out of shooting for a while unless you've got a mate to drive you round?

Can't imagine you'd get far riding your pushy down the street with a rifle slung over your shoulder? Same for the bus?

Still have my license obviously but I've lost a few points. Just got me thinking...
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Transporting firearms without car/license?

Post by Monty » 02 Oct 2013, 11:45 am

Legally speaking, you're able to transport your firearm by care, motorbike, plane, bus, train... Anything really as long as it's in case, ammo separate etc.

Reality is a different story unfortunately and a stop from the police along the way wouldn't be unexpected.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Hucka » 02 Oct 2013, 12:09 pm

Monty wrote:...motorbike...

Oh yes, I can see that going well.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Norton » 02 Oct 2013, 12:55 pm

There was a news article a few months ago about someone getting picked off a train for travelling with their rifle wasn't there?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AusC » 02 Oct 2013, 1:28 pm

Hucka wrote:Oh yes, I can see that going well.

I know a few people who shoot pistols and travel by bike, as they are entitled to do.

All legit obviously, everything in locked cases in storage on the bike etc. Nothing accessible while riding.

No problems yet, but I think they're both reasonably prepared for a grilling if they ever get pulled over while transporting their stuff.

Sucks I know, and now how it should be, but that's the reality of the situation.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws