Military appearance

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Military appearance

Post by Vati » 09 Jan 2015, 8:34 am

ex_reven wrote:We need to take a leaf out of the greens book on some of their campaign methods.

I'll start making up lies to support my unfounded personal opinions immediately :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 11 Jan 2015, 8:58 pm

What if you made it look like a SMLE? Would that be too military looking? Sorry blokes, but I just don't care for all the black stuff, I'm a walnut and blued steel kind of fella. But I guess you do whatever floats the boat.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 12 Jan 2015, 10:52 am

Baronvonrort wrote:The M14 is classified as a current military weapon because it's still used for military target shooting comps and ceremonial purposes in the USA

Be that as it may, the point is it's stupid to restrict things on that basis. It has nothing to do with anything...

A semi-automatic centre fire should be treated as a semi-automatic centre fire whether it's black, blue, timber, pink with polkadots.

Whether it's used for combat, hunting, target shooting, ceremonies or for literally shooting fish in a barrel.

They use it for military ceremonies in the USA, great, good for them. It should have no bearing on anything else.

Surely you agree it makes no sense to be allowed one self loading CF rifle and denied another, even though their function is exactly the same, because a military force in a different country uses it for something or other. I can't see how you couldn't.

That stupidity is the issue.

What if they stopped using their current range of rifles and swapped to the ones we're currently allowed under regular cat D licensing? We'd just be arbitrarily swapping the 'can' and 'can't' have list for no logical reason.

(not having a go at you)
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 12 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

headspace wrote:What if you made it look like a SMLE?

Paint it blaze orange.

The NSW powers-that-be are all about blaze orange :lol:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Jan 2015, 12:04 pm

headspace wrote:What if you made it look like a SMLE? Would that be too military looking? Sorry blokes, but I just don't care for all the black stuff, I'm a walnut and blued steel kind of fella. But I guess you do whatever floats the boat.

I have a walnut thumbhole stock on my Anshutz 22, I like thumbhole wood stocks I think they look hot and more modern.

I have built wood,composite and alloy boats, wood can swell up in humid conditions which is why wood doors and windows can get tighter after rainy weather, maintaining the moisture content in the wood is key to long term survival.
I will never own another wooden boat I will go composite or alloy, this canoe would be the only exception for me to have a wooden boat, I should add a stock done with balsa/S glass epoxy could look hot and sidestep the moisture content issues with wood.
www.storerboatplans.com/Balsacanoe/Balsacanoe.html
My aversion to wood comes from having to repair dry rot

I like the MDT LSS stock, it's alloy so no worries about maintaining it, 2 bolts hold the receiver and no bedding required,it's simple and light.

I wish people would be more accepting of individual choices people make, there are guns I don't like yet if you are happy with it I am happy for you even if I dislike your choice.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 12 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm

Seconds wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:The M14 is classified as a current military weapon because it's still used for military target shooting comps and ceremonial purposes in the USA

Be that as it may, the point is it's stupid to restrict things on that basis. It has nothing to do with anything...

A semi-automatic centre fire should be treated as a semi-automatic centre fire whether it's black, blue, timber, pink with polkadots.

I agree with what you are saying, I don't see any difference between the lethality of a Ruger mini 14 and AR15.

Restricting bolt action rifles on military appearance is absurd, I have a lot of sympathy for those in WA on this issue.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 12 Jan 2015, 3:09 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:Restricting bolt action rifles on military appearance is absurd, I have a lot of sympathy for those in WA on this issue.

:thumbsup:
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Supporter » 12 Jan 2015, 3:10 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I have a lot of sympathy for those in WA on this issue.

I wasn't effected, but you'd hate to be one of the poor SOBs who dropped 3.5k on a 110BA before they started snatching them up only to lose it a month later :(
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by anthillinside » 12 Jan 2015, 4:58 pm

OK Try this... Paint the f****** thing PINK! they couldn't possibly say it "looks like a military weapon.

It proves the idiots who write our legislation are .... idiots?
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by balter » 13 Jan 2015, 9:04 am

anthillinside wrote:It proves the idiots who write our legislation are .... idiots?

That was proven looooooong before this conversation :lol:
balter
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Point223 » 04 Mar 2015, 2:26 pm

balter wrote:That was proven looooooong before this conversation :lol:

+1
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by VasHunter » 20 Apr 2017, 3:46 pm

IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 3547 times

I have a Remington 700SPS .308 with a Mod X Gen III Chassis which is perfectly legal in NSW.

Makes the rifle considerably more accurate from stock and love the look of it and resembles a military rifle with a pistol grip.
The 7600 tactical is fully legal on NSW aswell.
"A bad day hunting is better than a good day at work"

Tikka CTR T3x .7mm-08
Rem700 SPS mod X Gen III .308
Lithgow Arms A101 .22LR
Adler A110 Tactical
Savage arms 22-250
VasHunter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Apr 2017, 12:23 pm

This is the start of the major push by the government to completely disarm us, they have managed to get this ridiculous ruling through, it has no practical basis what so ever, it has no bearing on public safety, it is simply a political move towards dictatorial control, this move is something we should expect from North Korea or some other similar dictatorship that is ruled by a despot leader.

All the talk under the sun will not change a thing, these laws are made and changed in parliament by politicians, the greens will never change, neither will labor who have support for disarmament written into their constitution, the coalition are to busy pandering to the UN. so they will not change, shooters need to support ALL of the pro firearm minor parties.

As well as becoming a lot more united, shooters need to support pro firearm parties, so that we get our MP's into parliament, if governments have to deal with us to get legislation passed, they will start to want to appease us, rather than the greens etc, nothing will change until we have a significant presence in parliament, but this is up to shooters to stop bickering amongst ourselves and look past personal prejudices as to which minor party we support, we need to support ALL those that support us.
Member-Deleted

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws