Military appearance

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Military appearance.

Post by batter » 23 Oct 2014, 11:47 am

Point223 wrote:So I gather if I have a 7600 modified with a pistol grip and I get a visit from the cops I should kiss my gun goodbye?

That picture of the Mossbergs is from the USA, not here.

I just posted it as an example of the stupidity of classing thing by appearance.
batter
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 Oct 2014, 4:10 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Point223 wrote:So I gather if I have a 7600 modified with a pistol grip and I get a visit from the cops I should kiss my gun goodbye?

Pistol grip rifles are not banned in NSW providing the butt stock isn't removable, collapsible or foldable. I was looking to get one of these http://cheytac.com/firearms/375-cheytac-2/ which would be perfectly legal if not for the folding butt stock. As for converting an existing rifle to a pistol grip I think you should be fine, just don't have a butt stock that's removable, foldable etc etc...If you want to be sure then call your local firearms registry or gun shop and ask them to confirm the legalities of any modification you're thinking to make.

Modern military rifles all have pistol grips which have superior ergonomics to the old fashioned stuff, what was the old saying once you go black you will never go back.

The AR15 type stocks are allowed provided they are fixed or pinned so they cannot fold/be telescopic.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 23 Oct 2014, 7:23 pm

brett1868 wrote:

Pistol grip rifles are not banned in NSW providing the butt stock isn't removable, collapsible or foldable. I was looking to get one of these http://cheytac.com/firearms/375-cheytac-2/ which would be perfectly legal if not for the folding butt stock. As for converting an existing rifle to a pistol grip I think you should be fine, just don't have a butt stock that's removable, foldable etc etc...If you want to be sure then call your local firearms registry or gun shop and ask them to confirm the legalities of any modification you're thinking to make.

Yep folding butt stock on a cheytac is a problem because we will be hip firing that bad boy :?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Point223 » 24 Oct 2014, 8:35 am

We need a million shooters to go downtown to the city protesting these sh1t laws then they will hear us.. do we have a million shooters in Australia wide that are willing to campaign for a better future for shooters?
Remington Model 7600 Police .308
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 24 Oct 2014, 9:35 am

Simple solution to all of these arguments - join your local Shooters & Fishers Party and support them. This is the only avenue we currently have that stops the ridiculous and ill (un) informed commentary that Gun Control Australia et all make.

As gun owners, we know the truth. The important thing that doesn't seem to happen is that owning a firearm and using it for hunting or target use is an acceptable sport, just like golf clubs - they've been used to hurt others, but, you don't see golf clubs requiring a PTA or to be registered. Same as kitchen knives, baseball bats etc etc. The "general public" need to have positive reinforcement about the fact that as responsible firearms owners, we aren't lunatics, but, actually law abiding citizens who securely manage their firearms.

They are getting heavy on the semi auto handguns issues and it won't stop there. As I've previously stated, we will end up lucky to have single shot .22's rifles. Get caught with a sling shot in NSW and it's 10 years gaol. Great.....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by feedr » 26 Oct 2014, 3:46 pm

Point223 wrote:We need a million shooters to go downtown to the city protesting these sh1t laws then they will hear us.

They'd probably say it was a revolution and roll out the heavy stuff on us :|
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Point223 » 04 Nov 2014, 11:04 am

A million would make a whole city grind to a halt. No need for violence. Just peaceful demonstrations. I'm not trying to create an Australian Spring :P
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lole » 04 Nov 2014, 11:24 am

I've got the solution to make them not look scary.

hello_kitty_ar15.jpg
hello_kitty_ar15.jpg (18.39 KiB) Viewed 7985 times
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Point223 » 04 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

LOL!
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 04 Nov 2014, 1:44 pm

Sadly I would endure having a semi in hot pink just to be allowed one haha
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Phaine » 05 Nov 2014, 8:44 pm

Endure?! Lets do it! :lol:
Phaine
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by pajamatime » 19 Nov 2014, 4:53 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Sadly I would endure having a semi in hot pink just to be allowed one haha

pretend your metro sexual or some straight excuse like that lol
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 20 Nov 2014, 8:41 am

You can say you're a sensitive new-age shooter :lol:

Not one of us old cranky bastards.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by headspace » 24 Nov 2014, 4:54 pm

Could you march in the Gay Mardi Gras with that pink thing?
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 24 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

headspace wrote:Could you march in the Gay Mardi Gras with that pink thing?

Only if you had a handbag and shoes to match mate :lol:
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 24 Nov 2014, 8:59 pm

Jack V wrote:

Only if you had a handbag and shoes to match mate :lol:

I'd rather pat a Funnel Web spider. Having spent my time in uniform and put a lot of taxpayer funded ammo downrange I'll stick with a bolt action blued metal and good walnut. :lol:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seik » 25 Nov 2014, 10:59 am

You could... You'd probably get picked off by a blue and white thing though :P
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by grizzly » 24 Dec 2014, 7:50 am

This law where you can't have anything that looks like a military frirearm is insulting to anyone with intelligence.

You would think that the law makers and leaders of any country should be the most level headed, clear minded, educated and informed people of their land. To review existing laws to try and prevent a percieved risk in the future is fair enough but to then ban a firearm based solely on it's appearance is the most uneducated, uninformed and absent minded decision I have ever seen in firearm laws.
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by Baldrick314 » 24 Dec 2014, 8:31 am

grizzly wrote:This law where you can't have anything that looks like a military frirearm is insulting to anyone with intelligence.

You would think that the law makers and leaders of any country should be the most level headed, clear minded, educated and informed people of their land. To review existing laws to try and prevent a percieved risk in the future is fair enough but to then ban a firearm based solely on it's appearance is the most uneducated, uninformed and absent minded decision I have ever seen in firearm laws.

It's absurd to us because we understand firearms. I'm sure when the laws were being drafted they were trying to make it so in the event of a robbery you wouldn't have someone waving around what looks like an AR in the faces of people who only know that profile from movies and would assume it's a machine gun. Not that rate of fire would really come into it in that situation but if I tell myself they had their hearts in the right place I might retain a little faith in our legal system.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by grizzly » 24 Dec 2014, 9:06 am

Baldrick314 wrote:
It's absurd to us because we understand firearms. I'm sure when the laws were being drafted they were trying to make it so in the event of a robbery you wouldn't have someone waving around what looks like an AR in the faces of people who only know that profile from movies and would assume it's a machine gun. Not that rate of fire would really come into it in that situation but if I tell myself they had their hearts in the right place I might retain a little faith in our legal system.

......and of course anyone that is willing to rob a bank has complete disregard for the law anyway so are unlikely to follow firearms laws when robbing said bank. If they want to reduce the rate of fire (which is understandable), pass laws on the action not the appearance.
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by Baldrick314 » 24 Dec 2014, 9:29 am

grizzly wrote:......and of course anyone that is willing to rob a bank has complete disregard for the law anyway so are unlikely to follow firearms laws when robbing said bank. If they want to reduce the rate of fire (which is understandable), pass laws on the action not the appearance.

If we could get them to see that tougher laws on legal firearms owners don't stop criminals then we wouldn't have to question the stupidity of these laws
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by nords » 24 Dec 2014, 1:53 pm

grizzly wrote:This law where you can't have anything that looks like a military frirearm is insulting to anyone with intelligence.

Just one of the many excuses they're using to make life hard for shooters in the hope of putting them off it.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sally-bee » 24 Dec 2014, 1:55 pm

I'm very new to shooting so not sure what my opinion is worth, but what I've seen on shelves in gun stores is making sense now.

Lots of what I'd call hunting rifles, very few of what I'd call tactical looking rifles.

Maybe 50 for everyone 1 of the other.

I agree it's very stupid to judge on appearance and not how it fires.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Baronvonrort » 24 Dec 2014, 7:41 pm

I think of it more like modern and old fashioned instead of military appearance.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 26 Dec 2014, 8:12 am

Baronvonrort wrote:I think of it more like modern and old fashioned instead of military appearance.

You like to... Not the Gov though :(

You may recall the Steve Lee video where he talks about the M14 being banned 6 months ago or whenever it was.

It's cat D but he had the license, it was the 'old fashioned' timber one, not a modern tactical version.

Still gone :(
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 26 Dec 2014, 8:13 am

sally-bee wrote:I agree it's very stupid to judge on appearance and not how it fires.

You're not the only one but the Gov aren't set to change it any time soon :(
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Odo » 05 Jan 2015, 4:21 pm

Yep the law is made vague on purpose. No guidelines, no measurements, just appearance.
Like putting some racing stripes on a Datsun 180B and calling it a Ferrari.

Most of the handguns out there are of Military appearance......
Smith and Wesson. Norinco. Chinese Brno. Feinwerkbau. Gamo. Sportco. Slazenger. Drulov.
Odo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 05 Jan 2015, 8:13 pm

Just curious here what is a military look anyways????? Basic black bullets go in here and come out here??/ Sounds like your common rifle to me???
go figure any more military and it could be a rifle!!!Look out
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by nords » 06 Jan 2015, 8:55 am

I wonder if you draw a picture of a switch and write 'safe' and 'semi' in red on the side of your rifle is that counts as military so you can't have it :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Point223 » 06 Jan 2015, 8:59 am

As far as the law is concerned (and it is very vague admittedly) anything resembling an AR-15 or an AK47 in mag,look and appearance is military and therefore illegal. Think about all the tactical firearms you have seen and they're all no good as far as they're concerned.. I'm referring to NSW law I don't know about other states.
Point223
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws