Has anyone ever actually been in trouble for a toy gun?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Has anyone ever actually been in trouble for a toy gun?

Post by puffnstuff » 07 Oct 2013, 2:38 pm

Just one for curiosities sake here...

Doing a bit of reading on VIC firearm categories and license etc. and their is a spiel about toy firearms.

This is from the VIC Police website on firearms:

There are a wide variety of firearm-themed items available on the market aimed at children or firearm enthusiasts. Depending on the overall appearance and function of these items, some may be classified as a registrable firearm, a replica firearm or an imitation firearm. These require an authority to possess, carry or sell in the State of Victoria regardless of the intent of the manufacturer.

It goes on to explain what are and are not toys (yeah, really...) and the end result seems to read that if you have a plastic toy gun that's real enough looking you could potentially get charged for a proper firearms offence.

Surely no ones ever actually been charged for having a real looking toy... ?
puffnstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Has anyone ever actually been in trouble for a toy gun?

Post by Carter » 07 Oct 2013, 6:52 pm

Not for just having one surely...

I've seen a few things in the news where people have held up a petrol station or something with a toy though and the guys got charged for the "weapon" as well, not just robbery.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Utcherd » 07 Oct 2013, 6:54 pm

Carter wrote:I've seen a few things in the news where people have held up a petrol station or something with a toy though and the guys got charged for the "weapon" as well, not just robbery.

Safe to say he was in the bad books with the cops after the robbery when they decided whether to charge him for the toy gun or not :P
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Herdsman » 07 Oct 2013, 6:58 pm

Utcherd wrote:Safe to say he was in the bad books with the cops after the robbery when they decided whether to charge him for the toy gun or not :P

Yeah, funny that :P
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ariat » 07 Oct 2013, 7:45 pm

Isn't there something in the firearms act about causing panic, or fear or something... I can't remember the exact words.

If you're passing it off as a real gun then you'd be in trouble. I doubt they'd care if it's chucked in the kids toy chest.
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Oct 2013, 8:04 pm

I know a bloke who was a the servo in the Adelaide hills getting fuel when he noticed his mate was serving behind the counter , He had just bought a new car days before and in the glove box was a cap gun..... well he thought it would be funy to walk inside and pull it out and yell FREEZ. THIS IS A STICK UP ! Any how his mate behind the counter just slumped his shoulders and said "you blody idiots !, that cctv camera up there is monitered and they proberly have already dispached the police" The police didnt see the funny side, and did a full investigation despite the attendant telling them it was a prankster mate of his.... yep they got into a world of trobble over that toy gun.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Norton » 10 Oct 2013, 8:22 pm

LMAO.

The old fake petrol station hold up gag.

I can see the cops not loving that :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Boatman » 11 Oct 2013, 7:43 am

Norton wrote:The old fake petrol station hold up gag.

I can see the cops not loving that :lol:

Just lucky he's not in the states where the cops mistake spatula's and sandwich's for guns. Would have got himself shot...
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 11 Oct 2013, 2:10 pm

Only once. Got pulled over for a RBT and on the floor on the passengers side was a black coloured water pistol...but to the fellow doing the RBT it looked sus.
After they checked it and became a bit red faced (but then again, in this day and age who could blame them for being cautious), after a little lecture, I was on my way...with the water pistol, which was left in my vehicle by my nephew.............
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 11 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

Bugman wrote:After they checked it and became a bit red faced (but then again, in this day and age who could blame them for being cautious), after a little lecture, I was on my way...

LOL.

Fair enough to initially think they when they saw it on the floor in the dark or whatever, but how does a lecture about having a water pistol go exactly?

:lol:
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws