Long Range Shooting

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Long Range Shooting

Post by grizzly » 16 Nov 2014, 4:37 am

Hi,

I'm emmigrating to Australia shortly and was wandering what the situation was legally for long range shoots? Are you able to just go out into the bush and shoot on public land as long as it is so far from a public road or can you only shoot on private land whether it be with the landowners permission or on an organised shoot/range? I've had a look at a few posts on here where people have been shooting in the bush over rolling hills etc. Would this be public land or an organised club? Thinking as well as Pistol it would be nice to continue long range shooting steel plates etc.

Thanks,

G
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Re: Long Range Shooting

Post by Baldrick314 » 16 Nov 2014, 8:00 am

You'll find a couple ranges that hold long range shoots mate depending on where you are moving to. Target shooting on private property is illegal in Australia. You're allowed to sight in but that's about it.

As for the pistol shooting, have you checked our rules because you'll find them very limiting. Not trying to turn you off, I shoot pistol myself, but a lot of people find it a huge hassle getting into pistols over here. For instance you can only use them at designated ranges, limited to 357 or less in calibre, 6 month probationary period where you can't own a pistol and then another 6 months where you can own a maximum of two.

Where are you coming from? And what state are you planning to move to? Local guys will be able to clue you in a bit better
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by grizzly » 16 Nov 2014, 9:13 am

Thanks for the reply Baldrick314. I've had a look at the cat H requirements as IPSC Pistol is my main interest but I don't want to give up long range shooting altogether. I notice someone on here had a lovely Desert Arms Tactical and AI's seem popular.

The requirements don't seem too bad just have to get them done. I'm coming from the UK to Sydney. We have 3 month probation here but after that you get one FAC which covers all firearms and section 1 shotguns. It seems your laws and clubs seperate the disciplines more. I would also like to shoot metallic silouhette as well further down the line. Once you have your .45 for metallic silouhette are you able to use it for IPSC/target or can you strictly only use it for steel comps?
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by Baldrick314 » 16 Nov 2014, 9:51 am

Coming from UK I guess you'll be used to jumping through hoops haha. Would be a massive culture shock if you were coming from the US.

In NSW you can only use high cal for Metalic silhouette. In Victoria you can use 45 for IPSC which will hopefully catch on elsewhere but not yet.

I don't know a lot about the Sydney shooting scene but there is a metallic silhouette club at Gosford which is about an hour out of Sydney.

As far as long range the furthest range I've found in my immediate area is Cessnock which is a 900 metre range. It would be about 3 hours drive from Sydney roughly
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by grizzly » 16 Nov 2014, 10:48 pm

Yeah we are used to wanting things we can't have here but if you take handguns, full auto and semi centrefires out of the equation we can have everything else. The law makers here focused on the action so we can still have AK47's and AR15's as long as they are not semi. As much as I love my AR15 I think I'd trade all that to shoot IPSC Pistol.

Thanks for the info. I've done a bit of searching online and found the Anzac Rifle Range at Malabar. I don't think I'm gonna get closer to Sydney than that! : )

http://www.nswra.org.au/pages/Malabar-Range.html
grizzly
Recruit
Recruit

United Kingdom

Post by Hucka » 17 Nov 2014, 12:55 pm

Which state are you moving to Grizzly?

edit: sorry, see you said Sydney in the post now.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by RealNick » 17 Nov 2014, 12:57 pm

Pistol shooting no worries, ranges all over the place.

There are long shooting ranges F-Class comps and the like.

Hunting on private property or state forests is allowed. Sighting in as well, not extended target shooting in the state forest though. (This is Victoria too, may vary a little for others?)
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 17 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

grizzly wrote: I've done a bit of searching online and found the Anzac Rifle Range at Malabar. I don't think I'm gonna get closer to Sydney than that! : )

http://www.nswra.org.au/pages/Malabar-Range.html

Well there you go. I may have to do a trip down to check that out one day
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by ANILE8 » 15 Jul 2017, 7:41 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Target shooting on private property is illegal in Australia. You're allowed to sight in but that's about it.

Not in VIC it ain't.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/fr2008211/s22.html
ANILE8
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 15 Jul 2017, 12:55 pm

In Sydney there is a number or ranges I am not even sure of all of them but with in 1 hour of where I live the ranges are
1 Malabar outdoor max range 800 meters
2 Conddel park pistol club indoor 25 meter
3 Auburn pistol club indoor not sure of length
4, Cecil hills pistol and shot gun and rime fire Olympic park
5. Holyrod pistol and rimfire range 25m
6 St Mary indoor shooting center 50 m open till 10 at night 6 days
7 Blacktown pistol club
8 Marconi shotgun range Heathcote
9 Terry hills shot gun range
10 Silverdale outdoor 200 m
11 Hornsby outdoor 200( Not sure on the range )
Any one in Sydney feel free to add any others as I am sure there is more but they are all like I said with in commuting distance from me so plenty of place in Sydney to shoot at now for a reason when you get here just saying I want to shoot nope, you will need a reason to shoot join a shooting organisation Such as SSAA many other too OR get your R Licence (http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/hunting-licences) do your firearms training send papers of to (http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms) wait 2 months or more and you good to go with long arms Pistols its a bit like drawing teeth you can do it but it takes a bit longer and a lot more cash .
what part of the UK are you coming from
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws