Air rifle on private property - Complaints by neighbours

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Air rifle on private property - Complaints by neighbours

Post by Cashman79 » 11 Dec 2014, 7:36 pm

Hi guys,

Quick question...

We own 6.5 acres near laidley Qld. I was sighting in my new .177cal air rifle and neighbors that have taken a set against called the police which has happened a couple of times now. But get different answers with different cops.

Some say I am fine others say I will have a case to answer to. But ring weapons lic and the say I am fine with the way I have it setup as in projectile does not leave our property.

But the cops are getting pissed but won't say anything to them but keep seeing me and saying well it's a weapon and there has been a complaint. Just frustrating because all the neighbors are trying to get me on is I don't have 40 acres that is their only gripe and I say well I can get my .223 or .243 out and then they have a reason.

Any insight would be appreciated as young fella just turned 11 and he should be able to go plinking on our own property.

Thanks
Cashman79
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Air rifle on private property - Complaints by neighbours

Post by brisb » 11 Dec 2014, 8:30 pm

Email QLD weapons and get a reply in writing.

Print it out and show it to anyone who complains, and the cops if/when they turn up after a complaint.

And tell your neighbour to stick it.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 11 Dec 2014, 8:31 pm

Cashman79 wrote:Some say I am fine others say I will have a case to answer to.

You'd be arrested on the spot for firearms offences if you were doing anything wrong.

They wouldn't tell you about it then leave, not to return (so far).

You're right.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Cashman79 » 11 Dec 2014, 10:24 pm

Thanks guys that what I was thinking. But where is everyone getting so confused about 40 acres??? The cops are the worst. Thanks for the help guys
Cashman79
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Dec 2014, 4:02 am

Maybe every time you intend on using it ring the police first and let them know that way when the ****** next door start up they can say we have received a phone call explaining that you will be shooting there and that its perfectly legal, saves the police having to come out and should piss the d**kheads next door right off.

That's what my friend used to do when is neighbours did the same thing, in the end the police told the neighbours to stop ringing and making malicious phone calls when they know its legal for him to do what he was doing! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 12 Dec 2014, 5:47 am

The law in Queensland is you must have 40 acres plus one square foot!!!Now ( Mausers ) going to jump on this straight away but, IMHO when did a air rifle really become a weapon????? If you where shooting a compound bow your neighbour and the Cops wouldn't have a leg to stand on!!!! But as Brisb said get it in writing from weapons lic and your problems are over!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 12 Dec 2014, 6:28 am

So I a nutshell; Qld and Tassy suck, NSW sucks big hairys - but not as big as SA, WA can just succeed from the Commonwealth and leave the rest of us alone, Vic is juuussst right!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Westy » 12 Dec 2014, 7:14 am

Noisydad wrote:So I a nutshell; Qld and Tassy suck, NSW sucks big hairys - but not as big as SA, WA can just succeed from the Commonwealth and leave the rest of us alone, Vic is juuussst right!

if it wasn't so full of Vicheads I'd have to agree Noisy :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cashman79 » 12 Dec 2014, 9:51 am

Thanks guys. Westy in regards to the 40 acres I have looked through the weapons act it could not find anything on minimum land size. If you know where abouts in the act it explains that can you let me know so I can read up on it. Might just start ringing the cops before hand from now on. Thanks again for your insight guys I have actually learnt a bit off this site.
Cashman79
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Westy » 12 Dec 2014, 10:37 am

Not sure where in the Weapons act but I know that's the case , happy to be wrong???? has been that way since 1996 from memory
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 12 Dec 2014, 11:18 am

As far as I'm aware (for QLD at least), there is no minimum land size, however you must have *sufficient* room for the appropriate caliber you intend to shoot. This means, if you have 6 acres, an air rifle or .22 will be sufficient with care and providing the projectiles do not pass into neighboring properties without their permission. The 40 acre rule I would think it more towards large caliber rifles..

Plinking in your backyard is also illegal as far as I'm aware too.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 12 Dec 2014, 1:19 pm

Over an air rifle? Really? :roll:

I'm with Brisb, Tell the neighbours to stick it.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sbd3927 » 13 Dec 2014, 1:38 pm

As above get something in writing,
Ask the police if they can do something about nuisance calls.

.... tell the neighbours if you and your kid keep getting harassed about firing an air rifle.... you'll get him a trail bike instead. :)
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Dec 2014, 9:16 pm

sbd3927 wrote:As above get something in writing,
Ask the police if they can do something about nuisance calls.

.... tell the neighbours if you and your kid keep getting harassed about firing an air rifle.... you'll get him a trail bike instead. :)

Go on, buy a trail bike.. :twisted:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cashman79 » 13 Dec 2014, 9:46 pm

Haha fellas already own a trail bike and I invite all the neighbors kids to ride on our property. They were even out videoing the kids riding so whent and blasted them but the first thing I said in case they wanted to use for evidence I accused them of being Pedo's and I didn't appreciate it haha the look on their face "priceless"
Cashman79
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by KaptainM » 13 Dec 2014, 11:02 pm

Hi Cashman,

Been looking at this forum for quite some time but I signed up to post this link for you regarding the 40 acres you hear about.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... tional.htm

Recreational shooting on rural lands (Categories A & B only)

For Recreational shooting on rural lands, the size of the property you wish to shoot on needs to be of sufficient size to ensure safe use for the category/ies of weapons (generally greater than 40 acres). It is an offence to shoot on or across neighbouring private land without the owner’s permission.
KaptainM
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 14 Dec 2014, 8:49 am

So no 'bridge' to burn then haha

I take it from your last 'blast' there wont be any reconciliation in the future. No calm discussion to dispel the issues?

Maybe you and they can be an episode on 'Australia's worst neighbours' ...or Today Tonight.

I'd hate to have a pissed off neighbour always looking to find something to dob or have a whinge about.
If you buy any bikes in the future, make sure its 2-stroke chook chaser!
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Noisydad » 14 Dec 2014, 9:57 am

...and get a wood fire so you cut up trees. With a chainsaw. Every Sunday morning.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Dec 2014, 10:43 am

12 gauges with 7 1/2 club loads are far safer to use on small properties ;)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mausermate » 14 Dec 2014, 12:41 pm

Westy wrote:The law in Queensland is you must have 40 acres plus one square foot!!!Now ( Mausers ) going to jump on this straight away but, IMHO when did a air rifle really become a weapon????? If you where shooting a compound bow your neighbour and the Cops wouldn't have a leg to stand on!!!! But as Brisb said get it in writing from weapons lic and your problems are over!!!!

what? what happened?. What did I miss? My name got mentioned and I was asleep. You talking that imperial s**t again Westy. If I've told you once............
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brisb » 14 Dec 2014, 12:43 pm

KaptainM wrote:Hi Cashman,

Been looking at this forum for quite some time but I signed up to post this link for you regarding the 40 acres you hear about.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... tional.htm

Recreational shooting on rural lands (Categories A & B only)

For Recreational shooting on rural lands, the size of the property you wish to shoot on needs to be of sufficient size to ensure safe use for the category/ies of weapons (generally greater than 40 acres). It is an offence to shoot on or across neighbouring private land without the owner’s permission.

That's exactly the problem info though Cashman.

"...sufficient size to ensure safe use for the category/ies of weapons (generally greater than 40 acres)..."

Legally we need to be able to do something or be prohibited from doing it, either way it needs to be clear. If there is no legislation specifically prohibiting something then it is legal. "Generally" does nothing to clarify what's allowed :|

A bit of scribble on the QLD Police website is not law. What they've written there does nothing but confuse the issue.

(Not having a go at you KaptainM, just venting over the crap they expect us to deal with)
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 14 Dec 2014, 12:47 pm

Bourt wrote:
Cashman79 wrote:Some say I am fine others say I will have a case to answer to.

You'd be arrested on the spot for firearms offences if you were doing anything wrong.

They wouldn't tell you about it then leave, not to return

I'm putting my chip here.
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by pajamatime » 15 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

lol irrational unreasonable is what they are.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Dec 2014, 4:26 pm

I was under the impression that the "greater than 40 acres" was to rule out "Pit Street farmers" from applying for a Weapons Licence as a Rural Landowner classification.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cashman79 » 18 Jan 2015, 10:07 pm

Hey guys thanks for all the input and help.

It is just so confusing and hard to deal with when you have some police saying that's a general "law" for any cat A or B firearms I mean it is even hard when I just put my 11 yr old son through his safety course a week ago and asked the trainer for clarification and he said needed a minimum of 40 acres so I said show me where in the weapons act it states it exactly and he said " oh I think it's in there somewhere".

Anyway thanks again everyone not trying to stir it up again just trying to get stuff clarified it is funny though you go to a police station and bring up the subject and you see them arguing over it like a seagull with a chip haha.

PS. I did ring weapons licensing again and told I have no problem just have to be nice and comply with the officers and all should be good. But I am getting a letter sent out from licensing that I can hand to the police so here's hoping.

Thanks for letting me have a rant and hopefully we can sort it out for some others as well.
Cashman79
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 19 Jan 2015, 9:44 am

Cashman79 wrote:It is just so confusing and hard to deal with when you have some police saying that's a general "law" for any cat A or B firearms I mean it is even hard when I just put my 11 yr old son through his safety course a week ago and asked the trainer for clarification and he said needed a minimum of 40 acres so I said show me where in the weapons act it states it exactly and he said " oh I think it's in there somewhere".

AKA I don't know what I'm talking about and am just repeating something I heard

Asking where it's written in the Weapons Act is spot on. That's all that counts. (or other relevant legislation, Criminal Code act etc. if relevant)

There's no such thing as a "general" law. It's law or not. Open the Weapons Act, do a search for 40 acres... Nothing. It's not "in there somewhere".

A bit of semi-related info, on the QLD license application for "Annexure for rural purpose / primary producer / recreational shooting / recreational fishing" is says

Select the categories of weapons you wish to apply for...

...on the rural property for the following reason:

[_] The property owner/manager/lessee - Note: If the property is UNDER 40 ACRES, a police inspection MAY be conducted. Further information may be required.

Again, "may" aint the law. He's probably seen that form pass his desk and one point and run with it.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 03 Jan 2018, 9:37 am

I always thought it HAD to be 40 acres for any registered "weapon"...not that it stopped me on 1.5 with the air rifle. What do you reckon the go would be with a .22 lr?
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 03 Jan 2018, 9:51 am

Serious? I was shooting air rifles like 10 metres away from Brett a few weeks ago and he didn't complain about the noise :lol: let alone some rando guy next door, screw em get the .22 out! Not going to weigh in on the land size thing, haven't read the whole thing, i also fear i may have just done some thread revival but it was here when i refreshed the active stuff
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by RoginaJack » 03 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

Just remember you are "sighting in" the Air Rifle and not 'target shooting'. Target shooting is all together different and must be at/on a approved range etc.

Draw up a mud map showing shooting position, target, butt stop and safety area behind etc.

Cheers.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Jan 2018, 4:35 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:I always thought it HAD to be 40 acres for any registered "weapon"...not that it stopped me on 1.5 with the air rifle. What do you reckon the go would be with a .22 lr?

In qld there is no legislation to cover the land req there is however a Generally accepted min of forty acres for the use of a firesrm ij a rural area. If ya use a firearm on less than forty they will probably ping ya under the minimum distance from dwelling or road part of the weapons act. If ya get an a@@hole cop they will find a way. :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws