Shooting license and moving interstate?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Shooting license and moving interstate?

Post by hootshoot » 14 Oct 2013, 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently an A/B license holder in Victoria, but could be moving to NSW at some point in the next few months.

Can someone tell me what the deal is with your shooting license and moving interstate?

Someone must have done it before, I'm sure...

Cheers for any advice.
Howa 1500 in .270 Win
Stevens 310 in 17 HMR
hootshoot
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Shooting license and moving interstate?

Post by ebr love » 14 Oct 2013, 2:49 pm

Double check the details with NSW registry, but I'm pretty sure there is some interstate agreement that your license can be transferred to NSW - you don't have to do the whole process again.

There is an agreement between a few states for using and transferring licenses, I think it's NSW, VIC and maybe QLD?

You can shoot interstate between those places on your local license if it's just a visit.

If you move to the state I think your current license is valid for 3 months before you have to have it transferred in to the new states registry, then your original firearms license from your old state becomes invalid.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Shooting license and moving interstate?

Post by Lorgar » 14 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm

I did more or less what EBR said with my drivers license from NSW to VIC.

After moving I could drive around on it for 3 months, then I had to transfer to the VIC license system.

Just went into the VIC Roads down here and handed over my old one, and they churned out a new one and it was done.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws