Shortest rifle barrel length legal in Victoria?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Shortest rifle barrel length legal in Victoria?

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 05 May 2015, 8:33 pm

G'day Fellas ,
I was just wondering what the shortest legal rifle barrel allowed in Victoria?
Thanks
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Shortest rifle barrel length legal in Victoria?

Post by 1290 » 06 May 2015, 1:19 pm

There are a few considerations here nuke,
whether the firearm is off the shelf or diy shortened....

no.1) Minimum length for cat a/b is 75 cm.
no.2) If shortened, the barrel may not be REDUCED to LESS THAN 50CM = 19.6inch < note (in compliance with no.1)

You may purchase an off the shelf rifle with a say 16inch barrel! or even a 12inch barrel <- this isnt meant to make sense, its gunses lawses!!

So the shrtest length barrel is that which may be purchased 'off the shelf' compliant with the 75cm minimum overal length

or

your rifle trimmed to 19.68inch but more than 75cm overall measured parallel to the barrel... .

Easy , right :unknown: :crazy:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 06 May 2015, 4:38 pm

1290 wrote:There are a few considerations here nuke,

no.2) If shortened, the barrel may not be REDUCED to LESS THAN 50CM = 19.6inch < note (in compliance with no.1)

You may purchase an off the shelf rifle with a say 16inch barrel! or even a 12inch barrel <- this isnt meant to make sense, its gunses lawses!!

So the shrtest length barrel is that which may be purchased 'off the shelf' compliant with the 75cm minimum overal length

or

your rifle trimmed to 19.68inch but more than 75cm overall measured parallel to the barrel... .

Right so as long as the overall length stays longer than 75cm and the barrel is no less than 50cm I'm all good? I'm just asking cause my uncle has an old .222 that he wants to knock the end off of cause it's worn out the rifling , but he didn't know if he'd be able to, thanks 1290. :thumbsup:
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 10 May 2015, 5:14 pm

Is he having a smith do it or just doing it DIY?

If I remember from other topics on this if done in VIC the smith records the change with registry noting the length and reason it was shortened to keep things legal and everything's handed by them as far as keeping it legal and on the books goes.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 10 May 2015, 5:41 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:

or

Right so as long as the overall length stays longer than 75cm and the barrel is no less than 50cm I'm all good? I'm just asking cause my uncle has an old .222 that he wants to knock the end off of cause it's worn out the rifling , but he didn't know if he'd be able to, thanks 1290. :thumbsup:

If it's worn out the rifling as you say then chancer are the throat section of the barrel is completely buggered and no amount or shortening will fix that

might be time to invest in a new tube :thumbsup:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 10 May 2015, 10:04 pm

scrolllock wrote:Is he having a smith do it or just doing it DIY?

If I remember from other topics on this if done in VIC the smith records the change with registry noting the length and reason it was shortened to keep things legal and everything's handed by them as far as keeping it legal and on the books goes.

Yeah nah I'm not sure , I think he was getting a smith to do it though

Chronos wrote:
NukeBOMB88 wrote:

or

If it's worn out the rifling as you say then chancer are the throat section of the barrel is completely buggered and no amount or shortening will fix that

might be time to invest in a new tube :thumbsup:

Chronos

Yeah I think he just wants to see if this'll work cause he's a bit of a tight-ass and doesn't like spending money haha
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 11 May 2015, 2:50 pm

You can buy hand crowning tools from Midway for $20 or so for use in a drill.

Not an overly expensive experiment if he wants a practice run and will only take a cm off.

If he buggers it he can always just have the smith do it again.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 13 May 2015, 9:54 pm

As Chronos wrote, it's more than likely a waste of time and effort. If the rifle is shooting crap because the barrel is worn out, then the major problem is going to be at the other end of the barrel and shortening it will only remove the remaining bit of half decent rifling.

I'd personally be trying a new crown job and if that doesn't improve things, throw a new barrel on it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 13 May 2015, 9:55 pm

Wes wrote:You can buy hand crowning tools from Midway for $20 or so for use in a drill.

Not an overly expensive experiment if he wants a practice run and will only take a cm off.

If he buggers it he can always just have the smith do it again.

Yeah I dunno what he's gonna do I'll leave it up to him now that I've told him it's legal
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Deco » 14 May 2015, 1:32 pm

I'd think you'd want to have a bloody level and rock solid hand to crown a barrel by hand.....
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Seik » 26 May 2015, 1:30 pm

Deco wrote:I'd think you'd want to have a bloody level and rock solid hand to crown a barrel by hand.....

You gotta be Larry Potterfield to pull it off :lol:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 05 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm

Alright, time to necro this thread.

Minimum modified barrel is circa 20"

What about minimum overall length on a cat A/B licence? Can I for example cut down the butt and to what overall rifle length (and a link to evidence, please :) )
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Jul 2017, 2:53 pm

Found it.... Barrel = 50cm
Longarm OAL = 75cm

Most excellent.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws