How to become a professional shooter in Tasmania

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Professional Shooter

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 Jul 2015, 9:27 am

That's a sweet setup Title. You'd make some people very nervous over here :lol:
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 20 Jul 2015, 9:29 am

I make some people nervous over here! :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by chacka » 20 Jul 2015, 1:21 pm

Illegal in about 20 different ways here :x
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Sam45 » 20 Jul 2015, 7:13 pm

Title_II wrote:You can shoot silencers at my house by I won't pay you :)

I have a MAX-11 full auto with Viper-9 silencer and the thing is just evil. I used to have a video online but I can't find it.

My MAX-11:

http://max-11.com/

It is very quiet with 158 grain subsonics in full auto. It is scary! You get some gas in the face sometimes though because the receiver isn't sealed.

Well now your just bloody showing off Tiger :drinks:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 20 Jul 2015, 7:32 pm

Of course! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by rummer » 27 Jul 2015, 11:02 am

So is there any firearm you can't have in Pennsylvania, Title?

I guess they draw the line when things start to become canons/explosives rather than firearms?

:?:
Tikka T3 Laminated - 270 Win
Ruger 77/17 - 17 HMR
rummer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 27 Jul 2015, 11:29 am

rummer wrote:So is there any firearm you can't have in Pennsylvania, Title?

I guess they draw the line when things start to become canons/explosives rather than firearms?

:?:

There aren't any guns that are illegal in our Great Commonwealth (see below for funny exceptions). Cannon are fine. Explosives are fine. Tanks with cannon, etc. :)

There actually are a couple of firearms that are technically illegal in Pennsylvania but I don't think anybody has ever been charged with it. It is not intentional, it is due to unexpected conflicts in the laws. One is a "sawed off" black powder shotgun. But a real "sawed off" shotgun (short barreled shotgun, SBR) is legal :) Thee is one other quirk like that I think. But other than that, all guns are legal.

Regarding explosives, they are legal but there are storage requirements if you keep them for more than 24 hours, licensing requirements for high explosives kept for more than 24 hours, and serious federal transportation requirements.

However, Explosive Destructive Devices are illegal in Pennsylvania. This would be hand grenades, mines, explosives turned into weapons. It also includes projectiles containing explosives over 1/4 oz. per projectile. The .50 caliber Raufos MK211 round contains just a hair under 1/4 oz of RDX and is legal in Pennsylvania. There are also a few 20mm High-Explosive rounds which contain 1/4 oz of explosive. Once we get above that, we can't own them in Pennsylvania if they have an explosive filler. However, 1/4 oz is also a federal cuttoff that would require a $200 tax stamp per device (per round/grenade/etc.) anywhere in the US unless you decide to be a licensed dealer or manufacturer. So for the average Pennsylvanian it doesn't mean that much.

Also, keep in mind, unless you want to get a dealer's license or a manufacturer's license (which you certainly can) then all civilian machineguns in the US have receivers registered by 1986. So they are very expensive, around $4,000 for a MAC M-10 and around $12,000 for the cheapest rock-bottom version of a converted M16 (up to $25,000 for factory guns). While this is all extraordinarily expensive, that brings necessity into play. And necessity is the mother of invention :) A 1986 receiver (or even a simple registered sear part) does not an old gun make. You can change anything you want on it within reason. M16s can be turned into belt feds in multiple calibers including .22. Every machinegun has a .22 conversion available for it with giant magazines :) That $4,000 MAC can shoot 9mm, .45 caliber, 7.62x25, .380, .22, 5.56 (although the SABRE is suspended and we are waiting for a newcomer). One machinegun can be a subgun, an assault rifle, a light machinegun, and a beltfed in 10, 20, or 30 calibers.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Yelp » 29 Jul 2015, 12:06 pm

Title_II wrote:There aren't any guns that are illegal in our Great Commonwealth (see below for funny exceptions). Cannon are fine. Explosives are fine. Tanks with cannon, etc. :)

"Jealous" doesn't begin to describe :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 29 Jul 2015, 12:23 pm

Steal, iron, bronze, and brass aren't a penny a pound like they were in the past. The simple scrap metal value of any serious military equipment is thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars, and the real price is obviously higher.

It is nice to know I could, but that is tempered by the realization that I shoulda back in the day :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by lole » 04 Aug 2015, 12:52 pm

You'd think brass was worth it's weight in gold here :roll:
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dogger » 23 Apr 2017, 1:05 am

In WA, theirs a course you pay to go though, though a body called CALM. Commonwealth something Land Management with the WA dept of Agricultural. They teach you to become a Dogger, dogs are a major livestock killer in WA.
I know you asked about Tassie, id ask the state depth of Ag. Goodluck
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Apr 2017, 3:13 am

The OP died of old age last year.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Tasmanian gun laws