Deactivating old rifle and putting it on display?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Deactivating old rifle and putting it on display?

Post by ployer » 28 Oct 2013, 8:50 am

Hi all,

I've got an old .303 British WW2 rifle which technically works, but in reality is useless.

Sprinkled with rust, rough action, stock is borderline split and all the rest.

Not worth fixing but I like it as a collectable. No point it living in the safe where no one can see it though...

Can these things be de-milled or de-activated or whatever the correct term is and put on display without security?
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Deactivating old rifle and putting it on display?

Post by Chickenhawk » 28 Oct 2013, 5:14 pm

This is from VIC licensed dealer info sheet.

9.01 Classification of Deactivated Firearms
There is no provision under Victorian legislation to have a deactivated firearm removed from the Register of Firearms.
Deactivated firearms are required to be registered according to their original category of firearm and the owner must be appropriately licensed. The only event in which a firearm does not need to be attached to a licence is if it is deemed to be an exempt device under the Act.

9.02 Heirlooms Licence
For the purposes of obtaining a Heirlooms Licence, deactivated firearms should be certified as such by an Approved Firearms Identifier on the relevant form. Please email the Licensing & Regulation Division position based email account requesting an application form.

Looks like a dealer is your first stop in any case.

If it's still got to be licensed and registered, what are the chances it doesn't have to be stored like it did when active?
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ployer » 28 Oct 2013, 5:23 pm

I couldn't find anything on it either :(

We're on the same file I think, best I could find was this

2.10 Firearms on Display
Firearms on display should be secured by means of a cable or similar device to stop easy removal from the area. Firearms shall not be displayed on top of counters where customers have easy access. For safety reasons ammunition should not be displayed on counters where firearms are being handled.
Section 92 of the Firearms Act 1996 requires a Licensed Firearm Dealer to ensure that any firearm displayed on the licensed premises is:
• Under the immediate supervision and control of the dealer or an employee of the dealer; and
• Secured in a manner which would prevent removal by any person other than the dealer or an employee of the dealership.

Except that I'm not a dealer so that's pretty much useless.

A few phone calls to make tomorrow I guess.

Thanks anyway.
ployer
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Grrzrr » 28 Oct 2013, 7:28 pm

You'd think it would be pretty straight forward if you've filled in the barrel with weld or something :cry:
Grrzrr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws