Clearing up plinking in Victorian state forest laws

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Clearing up plinking in Victorian state forest laws

Post by jeebo » 30 Oct 2013, 10:40 am

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to clear this question up once and for all... Can you plink in Victorian state forest or not?

I know this has probably been touched on and I found another topic with the same question in another shooting forum, but it's just a few people with "thinking" this or that or "never had a problem" and so on, but never a firm "yes, because of laws written here.................."

Can anyone point me to such a thing?

I've been around in circles with people enough on this :oops:
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Clearing up plinking in Victorian state forest laws

Post by disko » 30 Oct 2013, 1:11 pm

It's a frustrating one.

I had a quick Google but couldn't find it, but there is a doc from DSE or DPI which says you can get sighted in on a target (aka plinking) but you should do it as little and as quickly as possible.

It basically says it's ok then says that they don't want you doing it.

Not that you can't, but that it's sort of frowned upon and they'd prefer if you didn't.

You'd think giving a clear answer is going to kill them or something :roll:
Meopta Meopro 4-12x50mm on Fluted Howa Sporter.
.308 Winchester.
disko
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 30 Oct 2013, 1:47 pm

I'm sure people have said on here before that they've been stopped by rangers when plinking in a state forest.

Showed their license and whatever and all was good.

I think they're more worried about other things like people peppering a bunch of trees and killing them. Not a shooting thing specifically, but comes under "damaging native flora" or something like that.

If you have a plate for signing in, or a dead tree stump or something like that though. No worries?
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jeebo » 30 Oct 2013, 3:36 pm

disko wrote:You'd think giving a clear answer is going to kill them or something :roll:

There are clear answer as well which are just totally wrong, which is even more frustrating :evil:

I don't have it handy, but a while ago I was looking through some of the DSE maps, and they specifically show whole areas through water catchment areas where it says you can hunt deer. Spells it all out, word for word in no uncertain terms.

You're not allow to shoot anywhere near a water catchment area though, it's just totally wrong :|
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Khan » 30 Oct 2013, 8:21 pm

jeebo wrote:You're not allow to shoot anywhere near a water catchment area though, it's just totally wrong :|

Well that sucks.

No doubt you'd still lose your license and all that even though you had 1 map show it was ok, when another says it's not.

Hmmf.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 31 Oct 2013, 1:28 pm

Regardless of experiences/opinions shared here, your best bet is always to get something in writing from the powers that be if you're in any doubt.

Email vic licensing and registration, DSE and whoever else is relevant and a get a reply in writing.

"But the guy on the forum said..." isn't going to carry much weight if you have a disagreement with a ranger on what you can/can't do.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Plinker » 08 Oct 2017, 6:53 pm

I know this is an old thread but did this ever get cleared up?
Plinker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Oct 2017, 9:28 pm

Plinker wrote:I know this is an old thread but did this ever get cleared up?

that's a crack up plinker wants to know if he can plink in the state forest :lol:

I'm pretty sure it is that they (the DSEWLP, or what ever they call themselves today) don't like it but is an OHS matter being your rifle needs to be sighted or something
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 08 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm

It’s called public land for a reason folks. As long as you are shooting responsibly and not damaging flora etc. there’s no legal issue.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 09 Oct 2017, 7:07 am

southeast varmiter wrote:It’s called public land for a reason folks. As long as you are shooting responsibly and not damaging flora etc. there’s no legal issue.

You guys are lucky. You explicitly are not allowed to plink in NSW State Forests, and that includes sighting in. It's bloody annoying; I sort of get why they don't want to turn them into de-facto shooting ranges but I don't see the harm in allowing people to legally confirm their zero.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Oct 2017, 7:29 am

southeast varmiter wrote:It’s called public land for a reason folks. As long as you are shooting responsibly and not damaging flora etc. there’s no legal issue.

Or leaving empty brass behind.
I seem to find shotgun hulls all over the bloody place, especially on roads and tracks.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 09 Oct 2017, 7:31 am

Just email DEWLP and email LRD and you will have a decent answer. Or read the legislation.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by southeast varmiter » 09 Oct 2017, 8:59 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Just email DEWLP and email LRD and you will have a decent answer. Or read the legislation.

And in here is the problem. When you contact them you will get an opinion. Not fact.
Public land in Victoria is just that. Public land. You have full rights to use it reposnsibly.
These people have no idea how to answer your question and will not give benefit of the doubt as they don’t want repercussion to come back if they misguide or misunderstand.
The laws are very clear. Unless there is local changes to land use which needs to be gazetted (which you should check), there is no impediment to land use.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws