Replica vs imitation firearms

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Replica vs imitation firearms

Post by bawoog » 05 Nov 2013, 7:25 am

Can someone clear up the difference for the terms 'replica' and 'imitation' for me for firearms?

In my lingo I'd say they're the same thing - they get interchanged enough - but there's obviously some specific meaning in legal jargon that I'm missing between the two...

Cheers for educating a dunce.
bawoog
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: Replica vs imitation firearms

Post by Hercl » 05 Nov 2013, 10:13 am

Replica is a working copy of an original firearm.

Imitation = a toy basically...
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hatter » 05 Nov 2013, 10:19 am

Hercl wrote:Imitation = a toy basically...

They're still treated almost like a real FA though right?
30-06 Steyr 98 -- .243W Steyr Pro Varmint -- 32-20 WCF Winchester 1885 -- 223 Remington 700 5R
Hatter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 05 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

Hatter wrote:They're still treated almost like a real FA though right?

In many circumstances, yes.

e.g. if you hold up a petrol station I believe it's treated as a 'real' firearm as the threat perceived by the station attendant is the same as if you had a firearm capable of firing.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Aster » 05 Nov 2013, 12:47 pm

Norton wrote:e.g. if you hold up a petrol station I believe it's treated as a 'real' firearm as the threat perceived by the station attendant is the same as if you had a firearm capable of firing.

Correct. The restriction is in place because a criminal could still potentially stage a robbery, threaten someone, and have the same level of intimidation/threat as that of a genuine firearm.

If you were found with an imitation one off the books, they would not take kindly too you, regardless of the fact it's incapable of firing.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by bawoog » 05 Nov 2013, 2:50 pm

Right... But then there are replica's which are not capable of firing, right?
bawoog
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Bourt » 05 Nov 2013, 3:04 pm

bawoog wrote:Right... But then there are replica's which are not capable of firing, right?

Yep.

There are replicas which are working copies of firearms, designed to be working copies. Like making a copy of an old rifle which isn't made any more. Just a regular rifle really...

Or...

Sometimes to make 'imitation firearms' they break down an actual working firearm and mould and cast every piece and from the pieces reassemble what is then a technically functioning firearm, except... If they've cast it out of weak metals because its only intended to be an imitation, even though it could physically fire a cartridge, it would probably just blow up in the process.

Still a "replica" though because it could actually fire a round.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Boatman » 05 Nov 2013, 4:12 pm

Bourt wrote:If they've cast it out of weak metals because its only intended to be an imitation, even though it could physically fire a cartridge, it would probably just blow up in the process.

Still a "replica" though because it could actually fire a round.

And you just know there are still idiots out there who have bought a low quality replica or imitation thinking they could get away with it as a cheap gun, and tried to fire it :roll:

Wonder how many fingers were lost this way...
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Victorian gun laws