Transporting Guns on V/Line Train

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Transporting Guns on V/Line Train

Post by southwest shooter » 18 Aug 2017, 2:39 pm

Just carry it down your pants .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 18 Aug 2017, 6:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
duncan61 wrote:I have flown and caught interstate trains with my firearms in a case and just duct taped the crap out of the case and did not have any gun related stickers on it.At the airport the security may put a sniffer on it for gunpowder but if its clean and empty no problem.If your shotty breaks down just suitcase it

Didn't it go though the X-ray type machine?

PS. I reckon an old guitar case would be the go. No point upsetting the other train travelers.

I've never flown with firearms. Don't you have to notify the airline and get a permit? :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Aug 2017, 7:11 pm

No.I flew to Darwin and just turned up at the Perth luggage put down area and told them it was my rifle and it was put in the luggage same as my suitcase with knifes fishing gear and 50 rounds of 7mm.On the way back at Darwin I had a bit of a wait and the security ran a sniffer over the case and as they said unless there is a reasonable amount of raw powder it wont go off.At Perth I collected my luggage and went home.When I get the Integrity bus to Carnarvon I just hand my rifles in bags and the 7mm in its case and they load them in the luggage compartment.I tell them what they are so my scopes dont get smashed by them throwing a pushbike or something on them.I contacted Indian pacific for the hell of it and they have a no firearms at all policy.Not allowed in baggage at all
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2017, 10:53 pm

"(b) cause a dangerous or offensive object or substance to be carried on a regular passenger service vehicle."

And here lies the problem. From a legal perspective a firearm is NOT dangerous goods.
In every state in this country and many others throughout the western world it has a very special meaning in law. It is a general term for chemicals that can have an immediate reaction causing a high risk to the safety of people in the vicinity.
Example, explosives, petrol, LPG gas, acids, radioactive materials etc. The chemical if released in to our environment can in large quantities, particularly in cities cause havoc or many casualties, including fatalities.

A knife or firearm if used incorrectly is a dangerous OBJECT there is a huge difference.

People need to be careful sometimes when choosing their words. Clearly there is a need for more education in this area.

In any case it would appear that in SA at least you can't transport Firearms on the trains. Or dangerous goods.

Sorry if it looks like I'm lecturing.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Aug 2017, 11:06 pm

PS. To above post.
As there is no mention of quantities of dangerous "substances" aka goods in the regulations quoted. All matches and gas cigeratte lighters should be banned also as they are classified as "dangerous goods"
Yet an unloaded piece of water pipe aka shotgun is considered dangerous. Next it will be walking sticks. Aka clubs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 19 Aug 2017, 7:46 am

Well that changes things. Was planning on driving up to darwin to see my brother next year. If it's that simple will look at flights instead :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bones-350 » 23 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm

Also in my firearm training I recall the instructor saying if you take your firearm out of your house be it innocently putting it in your car or cleaning it in your backyard and anyone sights it they just need to feel offended or threaten expect a call from the boys in blue if they report it and I don't need to say any more on what may happen.
Be careful guys is all I can say.
Your only friend when it comes to firearms is fellow FIREARM OWNER.
Marlin.22lr, Marlin17 hmr, Marlin.22wmr, Weatherby action Krieger.223rem, Howa action,Krieger 243w, Ruger 7mm.RM, Rem30.06 & Adler
bones-350
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 23 Aug 2017, 9:24 pm

Heres a true story.I was at the tourist resort 40 K away and I had a gun safe bolted in my room at the Remote Aboriginal station where I worked.Some darlings turned up in town over the weekend and thought it would be fun to jump the fence and ransack my living quarters where they used my plumbing tools to remove the safe from the wall and take it to the tip and bend it open with the tools they took from the tyre shed.Oldest was about 16 youngest 10.The fun part was I fueled them up at the resort before they went back to Meekatharra and my gear was probably under the blanket they were sprawled out on.I did not recognise any of them from the community.Police get involved cut a deal return my firearms problem goes away.I go the 450 Km to Meekatharra and get my 3 firearms which were my lever .17HMR minus mag.My bolt action 36 inch barrel goose gun 12g minus mag and my H/R single shot hornet.As the female senior constable carries 2 of them out the police station she puts one on each hip no bags and swaggers out to my Nissan Patrol.I had a gun safe holding up the rack and a bit of roof sheeting tecked to the top to stop rain getting in and as a bit of cover from view.I had no time to open anything and get ready she just took off and stood at the back of my ute.It was court day in town and 200 blackfellas are watching this rock show.I went berserk and she tried to threaten me but we went back in the station where I explained I could never come back in this town every one of them now knows I have firearms in my box.The Senior Sergeant got it and I hoped chatted her later perhaps she was new and did not understand where we were.Bottom line bag box or do something in public to avoid attention but you are allowed to have your stuff its why you are licensed.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 25 Aug 2017, 4:29 pm

Did you put it down your pants ? How did you go ?
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws