Lose your shooting license if you lose your drivers license?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Lose your shooting license if you lose your drivers license?

Post by mobo » 06 Nov 2013, 2:02 pm

Hi guys,

I've been told that if you're a shooter and you lose your drivers license, you also lose your shooting license?

This is just a tale from some random bloke at my local store, so am taking with a grain of salt, but still...

Anyone know of this? Seems pretty harsh as they don't really have anything to do with each other IMO.

Anyone lost their drivers but kept their shooters license?
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Lose your shooting license if you lose your drivers lice

Post by shazz » 06 Nov 2013, 2:47 pm

Never heard of such a thing...

Maybe only if you do something criminal? Hit and run maybe?
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bourt » 06 Nov 2013, 2:54 pm

shazz wrote:Maybe only if you do something criminal? Hit and run maybe?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's if you get any sort of criminal conviction that would have stopped you getting a license to start with...

If you get a conviction after you have your license, you lose it.

It's not about losing your drivers license specifically.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Norton » 06 Nov 2013, 9:41 pm

I can't speak for every state, but a mate of mine in NSW had his drivers license suspended for little things like getting pinched not wearing his seatbelt a few times.

Shooting license never mentioned in the process as far as I know.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by whert » 07 Nov 2013, 9:49 am

Don't have the page handy, but I remember reading on the VIC police website or firearms act or one of the "offical" sources of information that if you lose your drivers license for drink driving, you do lose your shooters license.

Drink drivings obviously more serious than a seatbelt though, guess that's the deal...
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brisb » 07 Nov 2013, 8:43 pm

whert wrote:Drink drivings obviously more serious than a seatbelt though, guess that's the deal...

Drink driving's serious obviously... What's driving got to do with shooting though?
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by kram » 08 Nov 2013, 12:05 am

I'm pretty sure that if you get done DUI ,your shooters license goes too. And even if the conviction is overturned it's up to you to fight the system to get it back.
kram
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Khan » 08 Nov 2013, 8:22 am

brisb wrote:Drink driving's serious obviously... What's driving got to do with shooting though?

If you don't have the sense/self control to not drink and drive, same goes for firearms I suppose.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 08 Nov 2013, 11:30 am

Khan wrote:If you don't have the sense/self control to not drink and drive, same goes for firearms I suppose.

I used to know a guy who got done for drink driving.

As if that wasn't enough, he got caught for drink driving again, leaving the courthouse for the first charge!

Talk about no self control.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 10 Nov 2013, 4:32 pm

Lorgar wrote:I used to know a guy who got done for drink driving.

As if that wasn't enough, he got caught for drink driving again, leaving the courthouse for the first charge!

Clearly likes the booze a little too much.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 23 May 2018, 8:00 am

kram wrote:I'm pretty sure that if you get done DUI ,your shooters license goes too. And even if the conviction is overturned it's up to you to fight the system to get it back.

Only if you have firearms in the vehicle. It’s based on safe transport of firearms.
Your statement is rumor based on Olympic shooter Diamond.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 23 May 2018, 10:37 am

Still a fit and proper person to hold a firearms license?

I’d say some driving convictions would void this.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 23 May 2018, 11:17 am

Ahh fellas I don't think krams comin back!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 May 2018, 12:05 pm

In this glorious state of Victoria, if you have a bad driving record you may be deemed to be a "person not of good character", which then gives the Chief Commissioner the right to consider you to be "not a fit and proper person" and cancel your Shooters Licence. I am not aware of this having occured yet, but it IS available to them. One would need to have a fairly appalling record for this to be enacted, and a single cancellation cannot be it as I know a couple of people who have lost their brief for .05 and still shoot, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 May 2018, 12:11 pm

Even though this is a resurrected post from 5 years back, the matter is still relevant today, perhaps more so as the CCoP has been given broad powers to declare people "not of good character" since it was first posted in 2013. It serves as a reminder to all, don't get in a barney with your neighbours, engage in road rage, thump an idiot in the pub etc. All these things can go to your character status with the rozzers, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 May 2018, 12:11 pm

Ahhh glad I don't drink then.... I do lol at random breath tests.... they only going to get me I'd they outlaw coke zero
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marneth » 03 Jun 2018, 12:03 pm

Drink driving's serious obviously... What's driving got to do with shooting though?

It shows that you're not a fit and proper person to hold a firearm license.
marneth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Jun 2018, 11:03 am

southeast varmiter wrote:
kram wrote:I'm pretty sure that if you get done DUI ,your shooters license goes too. And even if the conviction is overturned it's up to you to fight the system to get it back.

Only if you have firearms in the vehicle. It’s based on safe transport of firearms.
Your statement is rumor based on Olympic shooter Diamond.

Correct, :thumbsup: a single PCA or other driving conviction by itself would not be enough to cause any issue with your shooters license, if however a person has multiple driving convictions, this can be used by the police to question your fitness as a proper person to hold a shooters license, THIS HAS HAPPENED IN THE PAST, with people having their shooters license cancelled, or new applications questioned, but only where there have been multiple driving offences.

I know of one very recent matter, where a new applicant was required to submit a reason as to why his multiple speeding fines should not preclude him as a fit and proper person, he had to get references to show that other than the driving matters, he was of good character and was otherwise a responsible person.
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Jun 2018, 3:32 pm

Yes, there was at least one instance where the Firearms branch sent out please explain letters to LFO re dismal driving records - goes to "fit and proper person". If the driving rules and regulations are not observed and your deemed unfit to hold a drivers licence why would you be allowed to hold a Firearm licence.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 11 Jul 2018, 3:35 pm

Its pretty random and seems inconsistant.
I know 4 people who all have similar but different scenarios.

One had unpaid minor fines-refused renewal

One had a couple of fines, refused application

One got pinged (2nd time) dui , with no firearms in car,had to surrendour firearms whilst car license cancled/suspended

Another mate is currently serving 2nd dui, just paid and recieved renewall, levels almost identical to one who had to surredour firearms.

So obviously consistancy is not high on their list of priorities...
Im not siding with or against these peoples actions and if its fair/unfair,just pointing out anything is possible,my personal opinion is irrelevent.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 11 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm

I do recall reading somewhere (I believe it may have been VicPol website) - that if you were caught driving illegally (drink driving and speeding were the two specific mentions) then it could mean that you are not a fit and trustworthy person to abide by the law, and thus your firearms license could be taken off you too. Not sure if it's ever been invoked before.

Can't find the link - and doing a google search seems useless as on their website firearms and speeding are on the main permanent menu and show up on each page.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by SakoBolts » 16 Aug 2018, 9:28 pm

Depending on the severity of the driving offense, & if convicted, then you could be deemed not a, "fit & proper person" hence they will then take your firearms licence. Another very ambiguous grey area of the firearms laws in this once wonderful country of ours.
SakoBolts
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws