Lose your shooting license if you lose your drivers license?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Lose your shooting license if you lose your drivers lice

Post by RoginaJack » 10 Jun 2018, 3:32 pm

Yes, there was at least one instance where the Firearms branch sent out please explain letters to LFO re dismal driving records - goes to "fit and proper person". If the driving rules and regulations are not observed and your deemed unfit to hold a drivers licence why would you be allowed to hold a Firearm licence.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 11 Jul 2018, 3:35 pm

Its pretty random and seems inconsistant.
I know 4 people who all have similar but different scenarios.

One had unpaid minor fines-refused renewal

One had a couple of fines, refused application

One got pinged (2nd time) dui , with no firearms in car,had to surrendour firearms whilst car license cancled/suspended

Another mate is currently serving 2nd dui, just paid and recieved renewall, levels almost identical to one who had to surredour firearms.

So obviously consistancy is not high on their list of priorities...
Im not siding with or against these peoples actions and if its fair/unfair,just pointing out anything is possible,my personal opinion is irrelevent.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by doc » 11 Jul 2018, 5:32 pm

I do recall reading somewhere (I believe it may have been VicPol website) - that if you were caught driving illegally (drink driving and speeding were the two specific mentions) then it could mean that you are not a fit and trustworthy person to abide by the law, and thus your firearms license could be taken off you too. Not sure if it's ever been invoked before.

Can't find the link - and doing a google search seems useless as on their website firearms and speeding are on the main permanent menu and show up on each page.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by SakoBolts » 16 Aug 2018, 9:28 pm

kram wrote:I'm pretty sure that if you get done DUI ,your shooters license goes too. And even if the conviction is overturned it's up to you to fight the system to get it back.

Depending on the severity of the driving offense, & if convicted, then you could be deemed not a, "fit & proper person" hence they will then take your firearms licence. Another very ambiguous grey area of the firearms laws in this once wonderful country of ours.
SakoBolts
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws