Illegal for shooters to advertise guns for sale in Victoria?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Illegal for shooters to advertise guns for sale in Victoria?

Post by VICHunter » 07 Nov 2013, 7:24 pm

We all know the various second hand gun listing websites.

I understood from the FAQ's on these that as long as the serial of the FA and your license was included, that everything was fine.

However, this is from Vic Pol website here - http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... #advertise

Can I advertise the sale of firearms?
Only licensed firearm dealers may advertise the sale of a firearm. Section 101(1) of the Firearms Act details that it is illegal for a person to publish (or cause to be published) an advertisement for the sale of a firearm by a person who is not a licensed firearm dealer.

The exception to this is where an advertisement is published by an approved club or in a commercially published firearm or shooting sports magazine. Victoria Police does not consider internet websites to fall within the description of a 'commercially published firearms or shooting sports magazine' and will not allow persons or organisations that are not licensed firearm dealers to advertise on the internet.

This is from Victorian firearms act here - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/ ... /s101.html

Firearms Act 1996 - SECT 101

Prohibitions on advertising
101. Prohibitions on advertising

(1) A person must not publish or cause to be published an advertisement which
advertises that a firearm is offered for sale by a person who is not a
licensed firearms dealer.

So there you go...

Not saying the for listing sites are up to anything dodgy, and there may be some other information elsewhere which counters the above, but that's the information I found.

Victorian sellers do with that as you will.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Illegal for shooters to advertise guns for sale in Victo

Post by Khan » 08 Nov 2013, 8:22 am

I guess as long as peoples license number and rifle serial number are up there the know people are legit nothing dodgy is going on?
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by keen » 08 Nov 2013, 10:29 am

I'm not in Victoria, but that's such BS.

Licensed legit shooter, selling their legally owed property, and you can't advertise it for sale to other licensed shooters?

:roll:
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Aster » 08 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

I've created a post with quotes from each states various laws, I'll lock this and move the conversation there.

Follow up post here - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=593
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Return to Victorian gun laws