Rifle from Vic to Darwin

Questions about Northern Territory gun and ammunition laws. N.T. Weapons Control Act.

Rifle from Vic to Darwin

Post by WayneO » 17 May 2016, 5:41 pm

If I want to go hunting up north and plan on driving up there, is there a permit I can get for taking my firearms all the way there with me. I really dont want to have to use someone else's rifle if I dont absolutely have to.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Rifle from Vic to Darwin

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 May 2016, 7:16 pm

G'day WayneO,
What makes you think you need a permit to drive to Darwin? Contact NT Police for their requirements whilst you are actually there, and then go. Your licence is recognized in every State, just be aware that WA requires you to have a permit issued BEFORE you go there, this includes transit through the airport to other destinations, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 17 May 2016, 11:05 pm

Thank you very much for the info. Was chatting to a few guys who gave me a very different and scary outlook on it. I thought it sounded very wrong, which is the reason I asked here.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 18 May 2016, 4:57 pm

G’Day WayneO

No problems with BYO Firearms.

If you are not hunting on private land you will need to obtain a permit for hunting on crown land and a pig hunting permit or a waterfowl hunting permit.

https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_fil ... cation.pdf

https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_fil ... cation.pdf

https://nt.gov.au/leisure/hunting-and-s ... ng-permits

https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_fil ... on-map.pdf

There are also several safari mobs about that could get you onto some nice buffs etc.. if that's what your after..

Oh and btw here is the number for the Berrimah Police Station (Peter McAulay Centre) 08 8922 1560 that’s the station that the firearms unit operate from, if you want to ask them anything..

Hope this helps you. :thumbsup:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gregg » 19 May 2016, 1:52 pm

WayneO wrote:Thank you very much for the info. Was chatting to a few guys who gave me a very different and scary outlook on it. I thought it sounded very wrong, which is the reason I asked here.

Sounds like the story has been blown out of proportion here, but I suspect what the guy you were talking to was touching on was recognition of licenses from other states.

I can't remember clearly so don't take this as gospel, but I believe the problem states are WA (doesn't recognise anyone else?) and I thought possibly QLD? Definitely not 100% on that.

Driving though you're no doubt going Melbourne through SA and up to Darwin, yes?

In any case, wherever you're going through/to just call the police in each state to confirm, take notes of times, names etc, and off you go.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 19 May 2016, 8:30 pm

Thank you very much Darwindingo, that information is brilliant. Yes the main reason would be for some buff, but also for pig and a spot of spearfishing.
Now to start the process of organizing everything.
This Forum is amazing for information, thanks guys.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 19 May 2016, 9:56 pm

WayneO

You are most welcome, glad its of use !

From my understanding the "Safari" mobs can provide really good access to some prime land.. From what I've been told you have the option to either be presented viable animals or can free hunt and find your own.. I can only go from what I was told in that regard as I have never been on a Safari so to speak, but I can see the potential benefits of the local experience that such a venture could provide...

With regards to the fishing, Its pretty darn good..! Just don't underestimate the Croc's.....!!! I was fishing with a mate at Shady Camp off the barrage once when an Elder speared a 4m+ Croc, not more than 10m from us.. We hadn't even seen it.. :wtf: .! If you want some really good fishing just for fun, hit the Milkfish on the rod.. One of the best sports fish you could target... Make sure you have plenty of line on the reel..! I'll try and find you a map that shows a good spot near doctors gully fish feeding... lot of fun with some bread for burly and bait....! Oh and you don't need a fishing license or boat license here.. ( we are not yet a fully fledged nanny state )..lol

Let me know when you come up, If I'm in town at the time we could go for a fish or a hunt...!

Cheers

Jeff
Last edited by darwindingo on 20 May 2016, 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by WayneO » 20 May 2016, 5:43 pm

Thanks Jeff, I will certainly send you a PM once I get things sorted out and I know my dates.
Milkfish you say.......
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 20 May 2016, 6:42 pm

Yep they are a blast...! :thumbsup:

I sent U a PM of a map to the spot and some other info..

Cheers

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by WayneO » 20 May 2016, 8:39 pm

Thank you very much Jeff. I think its going to be a brilliant trip.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 20 May 2016, 8:42 pm

Honestly, I'll doubt you will want to go home !

Cheers

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Releb » 24 May 2016, 11:53 am

Sounds like a cracker of a trip :mrgreen:
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 25 May 2016, 9:40 pm

Releb wrote:Sounds like a cracker of a trip :mrgreen:

Yep, especially if I'm in town at the time, (I hope so) as I would appreciate some help getting through some 20L of moonshine in stock LOL... :drinks:

Cheers

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by WayneO » 26 May 2016, 4:35 pm

I can feel the hangover starting already :drinks:
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 May 2016, 5:13 pm

As long as you ditch ya shoes and don a pair of thongs at the NT boarder, she'll be righr.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 26 May 2016, 7:46 pm

WayneO wrote:I can feel the hangover starting already :drinks:

The shine is less likely to cause the big H as its got less fusel alcohols or fusel oils as some call it than commercially mass produced stuff , but then again 20L leaves plenty of room for excessive consumption and that throws the aforementioned theory right out the window. lol :D only one way to find out though :drinks:

on_one_wheel wrote:As long as you ditch ya shoes and don a pair of thongs at the NT boarder, she'll be righr.

Sounds like you have some experience with the good old Territory Safety Boots :lol: Its pretty laid back around here :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by K98k vs. Bigbeasts » 21 Nov 2017, 8:48 pm

Does anyone have a legible map on crown land for hunting? :unknown: :crazy:
Also any good hunting spots anyone know of in about 200ks of Darwin?
I am looking for Buffalo and/or Croc but will bag any goats, dogs, cats, pigs or foxes that come my way.
K98k vs. Bigbeasts
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 21 Nov 2017, 11:51 pm

K98k vs. Bigbeasts wrote:Does anyone have a legible map on crown land for hunting? :unknown: :crazy:
I am looking for Buffalo and/or Croc but will bag any goats, dogs, cats, pigs or foxes that come my way.

any one else think totally wrong lol
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 22 Nov 2017, 1:38 am

Yep, target species list appears a bit odd to me...

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Daddybang » 22 Nov 2017, 7:00 am

pomemax wrote:
K98k vs. Bigbeasts wrote:Does anyone have a legible map on crown land for hunting? :unknown: :crazy:

any one else think totally wrong lol

Yep this ones full of it!!! He'd know crocs are protected species otherwise!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Northern Territory gun laws