New firearms restrictions proposal (TAS)

Questions about Tasmanian fun and ammunition laws. Tasmanian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: New firearms restrictions proposal (TAS)

Post by Gwion » 23 Jan 2017, 11:46 am

Noisydad wrote:Get onto the Combined Firearms Councils email list and see what's planned for all of us. It ain't pretty!

Got a link to some info, Noisy???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Jan 2017, 3:26 pm

Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Spudman75 » 27 Jan 2017, 7:09 pm

I take it you haven't seen the new Storage requirements due to come into force in TAS. They already estimate it will cost firearms owners $12-15 million to comply, better get your wallets out boys. It is too late to block, since submissions ended in late December. http://www.police.tas.gov.au/services-online/firearms/firearms-storage

Seriously those in TAS need to get out in the street and protest.
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Jan 2017, 7:43 pm

That one was shelved.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Bushie » 27 Jan 2017, 8:59 pm

Don't worry guys gun crime will stop if our law abiding citizens are unarmed
and if the crooks aren't allowed pistol grips they will shoot up another country

Stuff like this absolutely does my head in
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gun-nut » 28 Jan 2017, 7:35 pm

The boys in Tas have a lot of s**t coming down the pipeline that they have to deal with.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 28 Jan 2017, 7:43 pm

Gun-nut wrote:The boys in Tas have a lot of s**t coming down the pipeline that they have to deal with.

ok.... so its like this;

currently EVERY state has their gun-grabbing departments working feverously DRAFTING regs and bills to present to parliament combining the 'Adler' agreement laws and no doubt they will sneak in ANYTHING....just imagine theyre all rubbing their hands...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Jan 2017, 8:13 pm

Storage laws (actually, regs) being brought in line with the rest of the country is no big deal. My safe already meets those specs anyway.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bills Shed » 28 Jan 2017, 8:44 pm

Agree with Gwion,
There's are nothing new if you have lived in any other state beside Tas. I have lived in WA... Now that place is just hard work for a firearm owner. I do not envy them and their requirements to own and use a firearm. Makes Tassy regulations look very civil!

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Spudman75 » 29 Jan 2017, 10:57 am

Gwion wrote:Storage laws (actually, regs) being brought in line with the rest of the country is no big deal. My safe already meets those specs anyway.

Do you have CCTV and a monitored alarm? That is the new law. It will only get harder and more expensive. Sit back and wait if you want...
Spudman75
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 30 Jan 2017, 2:04 pm

Spudman75 wrote:
Gwion wrote:Storage laws (actually, regs) being brought in line with the rest of the country is no big deal. My safe already meets those specs anyway.

Do you have CCTV and a monitored alarm? That is the new law. It will only get harder and more expensive. Sit back and wait if you want...

No, and i wont need to because i will never have ten or more firearms. 8 or 9 is the most i will ever have.
If you have 10 guns and your safe doesn't meet these requirements i think you're a bit complacent anyway. Again, these requirements are the same for most other states, anyway.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gun-nut » 30 Jan 2017, 7:16 pm

Gwion wrote:
Spudman75 wrote:

No, and i wont need to because i will never have ten or more firearms. 8 or 9 is the most i will ever have.
If you have 10 guns and your safe doesn't meet these requirements i think you're a bit complacent anyway. Again, these requirements are the same for most other states, anyway.

Even if YOUR fine with it, doesn't mean that others aren't for various reasons. Either way we should NEVER give in to the antis.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Jan 2017, 8:36 pm

There is much about firearms laws that i think are stupid and pointless. Safe storage is not one of them.

It's lucky that these are the only new requirements for Tas, as the rumor a couple of years ago was that A&B safes would have to meet the same as catC.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by straightshooter » 31 Jan 2017, 6:46 am

Although I haven't read through the new Tasmanian regulation proposal I suspect that the usual pavlovian response of immediately blaming the anti gun lobby by gun owners might might be a little inappropriate, but that is NOT to say that the gungrabbers won't be all for it.
Now who do you think might benefit most financially from widespread installation of 'approved' cctv systems and 'approved' monitored alarms?
When there is a buck to be made there will always be somebody whispering in the government's ear to introduce legislation that ostensibly is for the 'public good' but in reality is simply for the whisperer's backers to make a motza.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2017, 8:21 am

Gun-nut wrote:
Even if YOUR fine with it, doesn't mean that others aren't for various reasons. Either way we should NEVER give in to the antis.

And what, exactly, are these various other reasons for NOT BEING OK with safely storing firearms???

Yes, installing monitored security and CCTV is rather onerous but if you don't want to do it or cant afford to, sell a few of your firearms so that you have fewer than 10. If having more than 10 firearms is that important to you, further protecting them with heightened security will probably sound like a reasonable idea to you.

I am saving for a CCTV installation myself, but it's not for my firearms, its just for all the thieving bastards in Tasmania and all my tools and equipment. Tassy has the second highest crime rate per capita in Australia after NT. Theft & violent crime rates per capita are around 7 times that in Victoria (from memory, check AIC & ABS). Couple that stat with the ever increasing rise of ICE and that makes increasing security all round a good idea in my book.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 31 Jan 2017, 10:06 am

Gwion wrote:..... if you don't want to do it or cant afford to, sell a few of your firearms so that you have fewer than 10.

Bazzzinga!!
Aaaand they have won.
Exactly what the plan was... to DISCOURAGE the LAWFUL ownership of firearms, so G-banger suggests you not only bend over for them, but hold the container of lube too!!

Gwion wrote: Tassy has the second highest crime rate per capita in Australia after NT. Theft & violent crime rates per capita are around 7 times that in Victoria (from memory, check AIC & ABS). Couple that stat with the ever increasing rise of ICE and that makes increasing security all round a good idea in my book.

While at the same time crime rate are doing what??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2017, 10:27 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Gwion wrote:..... if you don't want to do it or cant afford to, sell a few of your firearms so that you have fewer than 10.

Bazzzinga!!
Aaaand they have won.
Exactly what the plan was... to DISCOURAGE the LAWFUL ownership of firearms, so G-banger suggests you not only bend over for them, but hold the container of lube too!!

Gwion wrote: Tassy has the second highest crime rate per capita in Australia after NT. Theft & violent crime rates per capita are around 7 times that in Victoria (from memory, check AIC & ABS). Couple that stat with the ever increasing rise of ICE and that makes increasing security all round a good idea in my book.

So, I guess you're inferring that all the people who comply with these same regs in other states, without complaint, are also just "anti stooges who are happy to take it up the arse"???

You, my friend, and those like you, are the most effective weapon the antis have. Your tired, rabble rousing rhetoric serves only to keep the divide between shooters and non shooters as wide as possible. The "them and us" line is feeble, tired and childish.

Just imagine the headline:
"Shooters Protest Safe Storage of Firearms"

Well done, Genisis, you're really helping the cause!
:clap: :drinks: :friends: :clap:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 31 Jan 2017, 11:11 am

I was concerned about this topic and also am wondering who the antis are.I store 3 rifles at my residence in a store bought gun safe and everything else at an Industrial workshop with security and cameras.I keep the bolts and ammo at the workshop.All my dealings with police over 30 years has been cordial and informative.If you want 10 or more firearms or are a collector having good security makes sense .I read about the Sydney prof who feels disarming everyone will prevent gun homicide but he is not taken seriously by the authorties.It is just his opinion.stop being so outraged and deal with it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 31 Jan 2017, 11:21 am

I was concerned about this topic and also am wondering who the antis are.I store 3 rifles at my residence in a store bought gun safe and everything else at an Industrial workshop with security and cameras.I keep the bolts and ammo at the workshop.All my dealings with police over 30 years has been cordial and informative.If you want 10 or more firearms or are a collector having good security makes sense .I read about the Sydney prof who feels disarming everyone will prevent gun homicide but he is not taken seriously by the authorties.It is just his opinion.stop being so outraged and deal with it
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 31 Jan 2017, 11:22 am

duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 31 Jan 2017, 11:38 am

I have know idea why that posted 3 times.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 31 Jan 2017, 11:58 am

Gwion wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Gwion wrote:
You, my friend, and those like you, are the most effective weapon the antis have. Your tired, rabble rousing rhetoric serves only to keep the divide between shooters and non shooters as wide as possible. The "them and us" line is feeble, tired and childish.

Nicely said,

I too will never have 10 firearms or more and if I looked at my rifles as $1000.00 notes I would be pretty broke. If I had a lot of $1000.00 notes in my gun safe I would beef up my security to match the risk on my investment.

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 31 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

Gwion wrote:

Bazzzinga!!
Aaaand they have won.

So, I guess you're inferring that all the people who comply with these same regs in other states, without complaint, are also just "anti stooges who are happy to take it up the arse"???

Perhaps go back and read my comment, s l o w l y if it helps, theres no inference about people complying, its about people REDUCING THEIR FIREARM STOCKS.....

Now go make a knife, or just hammer your anvil maniacally...

Now cease your nonsense.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by duncan61 » 31 Jan 2017, 12:17 pm

I have know idea why that posted 3 times.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 31 Jan 2017, 12:43 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Gwion wrote:

Bazzzinga!!
Aaaand they have won.

Perhaps go back and read my comment, s l o w l y if it helps, theres no inference about people complying, its about people REDUCING THEIR FIREARM STOCKS.....

Now go make a knife, or just hammer your anvil maniacally...

Now cease your nonsense.

OK children, now go back to you reloading room and think about what you have done :shock:
I do not think you two are getting anywhere. Go build bullets :drinks:
Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Gwion » 31 Jan 2017, 12:49 pm

Bills Shed wrote:
OK children, now go back to you reloading room and think about what you have done :shock:
Bill

OK... sorry uncle Bill.... :lol: :unknown: :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bills Shed » 31 Jan 2017, 1:03 pm

Gwion wrote:
Bills Shed wrote:
Bill

OK... sorry uncle Bill.... :lol: :unknown: :drinks:

Good...now go blow something up :clap:
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Jandamurra » 01 Feb 2017, 2:12 pm

Gwion wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

Bazzzinga!!
Aaaand they have won.

No, I reckon people with your attitude are the most effective ally the anti's have.
I don't suppose you've considered the possibility that eventually the requirement for a CCTV etc. could going to be all LAFO's, even if you just have one gun?
Because the post-NFA gun laws have never shown a tendency to just get worse and worse and worse, have they?
Possibility? What am I saying? Inevitability more like it.
Some sort of line in the sand must be drawn. I don't know exactly what, but people must decide what their priorities are, and whether it's better to risk trouble with the law or going along with a situation that is very obviously only getting worse and worse.
This forum has always been good for not censoring comments and from my side of things, I am careful not to be too inflammatory or specific. That includes here.
But for Christ's sake, how much more are we going to take?
It's about more than just guns. It's about freedom.
BTW, when will the CCTV's be mandatorily hooked up to some police central monitoring unit, so they'll know every time you open up your safe?
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by anthillinside » 26 Feb 2017, 10:58 pm

While I agree with safe storage, I should be the one to determine what is safe, perhaps given reasonable minimum guidelines.
Not a semi* rigid set of rules that are interpreted by someone whos ideas could change at the drop of a hat.
* Ammunitions in a "seperate lockable container" being a case in point.
Now,
How many cars do you own? just how much are they worth?
Does the Government dictate how they must be stored?
WHY NOT? Many,many more cars are stolen and used to commit many many more crimes.
Yet it is not illegal to leave a car unlocked in the street. foolish perhaps but not illegal.
What I want is "common sense" legislation and we can hardly say that too much of the firearms legislation is that.
The antis get their way by being noisy (not black powder noisy :silent: ) but media noisy at every oportunity, to combat them we must do the same.
So far fighting emotion with reason hasn't worked.
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Feb 2017, 7:15 am

You know that the primary consideration of 'safe storage' is removing access to the OWNER..... though it's 'marketed' as keeping the firearms safe from theft and access by unlicensed, particularly kids.....

Safe storage = no defensive use.... therefore it should be up to the owner whether or not they lock the guns up... as a kid my old man had a cupboard full of ammo, just out of reach..... and the guns not locked up.... SOMEHOW I resisted to temptation to not combine A with B.

Common sense SHOULD NOT be legislated....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Next

Return to Tasmanian gun laws