New member - a few of questions

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

New member - a few of questions

Post by JC102 » 16 Nov 2013, 10:19 pm

Hi all. New member here. Currently thinking about getting into shooting and have a few questions.

1) Do you have to be a member of a shooting range to own a rifle? And how often do you have to attend? I ask because I'm not in a great situation transport-wise at the moment.

2) What is the maximum amount of rounds you can have in a firearm in Victoria?

3) Is there any way to own a replica handgun in Vic? I noticed websites no longer ship to Victoria. Are you allowed to display them? I've been interested in setting up a display cabinet, but I'm unclear on the laws.

Thanks in advance.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New member - a few of questions

Post by Aster » 17 Nov 2013, 8:10 am

Welcome JC,

JC102 wrote:1) Do you have to be a member of a shooting range to own a rifle? And how often do you have to attend? I ask because I'm not in a great situation transport-wise at the moment.

No, you don't.

JC102 wrote:2) What is the maximum amount of rounds you can have in a firearm in Victoria?

Hmm. I have the figure 5,000 in my head for some reason. Not sure where I got that from though... You'd want to make a call to Licensing and Regulations to double check that.

JC102 wrote:3) Is there any way to own a replica handgun in Vic? I noticed websites no longer ship to Victoria. Are you allowed to display them? I've been interested in setting up a display cabinet, but I'm unclear on the laws.

A replica handgun is treated as a "real" handgun and requires all the regular licenses/permits/storage requirements of a "real" gun.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by greyghost » 17 Nov 2013, 8:24 am

Joining a club is supporting information for your license application with "target shooting" as your reason.

No minimum attendance for rifles though. Only pistols.
Browning BLR .223
Sako 98 .270
greyghost
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by JC102 » 17 Nov 2013, 11:59 am

Thanks for the welcomes.

So I can just put down target shooting on the application without having to join a club prior? I intend to go to a club but I don't know when I'd be able to make it due to other commitments.

Aster, I meant how many rounds can you have in the magazine, not stored away.

So you need a handgun license to own a fake one?

One more thing, any ideas on what firearm I should learn with? Anything you can recommend would be appreciated. I'm interested in shooting regular targets and maybe clay targets later on.

Cheers.
Last edited by JC102 on 19 Nov 2013, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Muddy1967 » 17 Nov 2013, 12:05 pm

Join the SSAA. That will give you your valid reason for a shooting license.
If I am correct you don't have to join a specific club.
Please correct me if I am giving out the wrong advise.
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 17 Nov 2013, 12:09 pm

Muddy1967 wrote:Join the SSAA. That will give you your valid reason for a shooting license.

You're right. For rifle shooting you don't need club endorsement or anything like that, SSAA member is all the supporting evidence you need.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Releb » 19 Nov 2013, 8:47 am

Muddy1967 wrote:Join the SSAA. That will give you your valid reason for a shooting license.

If target shooting is your reason, yep.

Also in Vic I'm pretty sure you can just do hunting as your reason as well which doesn't need a range membership.

You can go to the range with hunting as the reason on your license as well.
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Antie » 19 Nov 2013, 10:46 am

Aster wrote:
JC102 wrote:2) What is the maximum amount of rounds you can have in a firearm in Victoria?

Hmm. I have the figure 5,000 in my head for some reason. Not sure where I got that from though... You'd want to make a call to Licensing and Regulations to double check that.

I think he means magazine capacity mate.

Pretty sure it's 10, not 5,000 :P
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Aster » 19 Nov 2013, 10:49 am

Antie wrote:I think he means magazine capacity mate.

Pretty sure it's 10, not 5,000 :P

I think you'll find they do in fact make 5,000 round mags...

Ok, not really :lol:

Yeah I misread "in a firearm" for "for a firearm". Thought we were talking storage there, not use.
Aster

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 19 Nov 2013, 4:46 pm

JC102 wrote:One more things, any ideas on what firearm I should learn with? Anything you can recommend would be appreciated. I'm interested in shooting regular targets and maybe clay targets later on.

If you wanna shoot clay targets you'll need a shotgun. For regular target shooting you'll need a rifle. As far as a first rifle I'd suggest either a .22LR (cheap ammo, no recoil, easy to learn on and can be used for hunting small game) or one of the smaller centrefire rifles like a .223 or .22-250 (not much more recoil, ammo still relatively cheap and larger range of hunting capability)

Good luck mate :)
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Press » 19 Nov 2013, 6:08 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:If you wanna shoot clay targets you'll need a shotgun.

Going to need some mad skillz to shoot clay pigeons with a rifle :lol:
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 19 Nov 2013, 6:36 pm

Press wrote:Going to need some mad skillz to shoot clay pigeons with a rifle :lol:

They're a lot easier to hit if you hang them on a post. It's that whole moving through the air business that makes it difficult :lol:
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wheelbarrow » 19 Nov 2013, 6:59 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:It's that whole moving through the air business that makes it difficult :lol:

Everyone needs a challenge ;)
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by JC102 » 19 Nov 2013, 10:43 pm

Hmm, I thought I saw some 20 round mags for sale in Victoria on usedguns.com.au I've also seen 30 rounds being used in AU on YouTube. I assume the laws are different in different states?

Is there anyway I can try out a semi-automatic rifle at a range? Or are they heavily restricted? I understand that unless the laws change, I'll probably never get the chance to own one.

One more question about buying a firearm. Ok, so I know you have to submit a form called a 'permit to acquire', which can either be submitted online or at a gun store. So do you have to know the exact firearm you want first and have it on hold before you submit the form?

Thanks for all your help.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 19 Nov 2013, 11:10 pm

JC102 wrote:Hmm, I thought I saw some 20 round mags for sale in Victoria on usedguns.com.au I've also seen 30 rounds being used in AU on YouTube. I assume the laws are different in different states?

Is there anyway I can try out a semi-automatic rifle at a range? Or are they heavily restricted? I understand that unless the laws change, I'll probably never get the chance to own one.

One more question about buying a firearm. Ok, so I know you have to submit a form called a 'permit to acquire', which can either be submitted online or at a gun store. So do you have to know the exact firearm you want first and have it on hold before you submit the form?

Thanks for all your help.

Mag capacity laws vary by state, firearms registry might be your best contact on that one. Semi autos are only available for pest control when you can prove the need so you'll never get to try one at the range unfortunately. Unless it's vastly different in Victoria you just need to know the class of firearm you want to buy in order to get a PTA. e.g. if you want a centrefire rifle you need to submit a PTA for a category B2 firearm
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 20 Nov 2013, 8:40 am

Baldrick314 wrote:Semi autos are only available for pest control when you can prove the need so you'll never get to try one at the range unfortunately.

Yup.

You're out of luck here JC. Semi-auto's are only given for primary production. From memory when you apply you have to specify the property where it will be used and a whole bunch of specifics.

Your permit/license is issued for these specifics and can only be used for the reason and in the places specified. If you have a Cat C license for pest control you can't take your semi-auto to the range or go hunting with it. You'd need to take your Cat B firearm for these instead.

Baldrick314 wrote:Unless it's vastly different in Victoria you just need to know the class of firearm you want to buy in order to get a PTA. e.g. if you want a centrefire rifle you need to submit a PTA for a category B2 firearm

Just action, calibre and capacity from memory.

It seems to be a bit of a lucky dip as to what actually comes back on your PTA.

I've done one where it came back with "308" and "bolt action" and nothing else.

Then another which came back with make, model, capacity, and all the rest.
Aster

-

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 Nov 2013, 9:11 am

Aster wrote:
Baldrick314 wrote:Semi autos are only available for pest control when you can prove the need so you'll never get to try one at the range unfortunately.

Yup.

You're out of luck here JC. Semi-auto's are only given for primary production. From memory when you apply you have to specify the property where it will be used and a whole bunch of specifics.

Your permit/license is issued for these specifics and can only be used for the reason and in the places specified. If you have a Cat C license for pest control you can't take your semi-auto to the range or go hunting with it. You'd need to take your Cat B firearm for these instead.

Baldrick314 wrote:Unless it's vastly different in Victoria you just need to know the class of firearm you want to buy in order to get a PTA. e.g. if you want a centrefire rifle you need to submit a PTA for a category B2 firearm

Just action, calibre and capacity from memory.

It seems to be a bit of a lucky dip as to what actually comes back on your PTA.

I've done one where it came back with "308" and "bolt action" and nothing else.

Then another which came back with make, model, capacity, and all the rest.

We really need uniform firearm laws don't we? lol. I always wondered if you had a semi-auto for primary production whether there's some concession to take it to the range for sighting in.
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Ken » 20 Nov 2013, 9:29 am

Baldrick314 wrote:We really need uniform firearm laws don't we? lol. I always wondered if you had a semi-auto for primary production whether there's some concession to take it to the range for sighting in.

There is the same confusion for where you can actually sight in too I think.

I think it's written somewhere that you can fire some minimal (but unspecified) number of shots to sight in, but elsewhere it's written that you can't target shoot or set up a temporary range on your property.

So, uh... What?
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JC102 » 20 Nov 2013, 7:39 pm

Damn. Guess I'll have to pop over to New Zealand sometime :D Does the same go for pump action shotguns?

I assume before the buyback you could buy semi-automatics and handguns easily?

What's the deal with shooting on a family members property? I have family who own property, which is large enough for shooting. Once I get my license and buy a firearm will I be able to target shoot there?
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 Nov 2013, 9:09 pm

JC102 wrote:Damn. Guess I'll have to pop over to New Zealand sometime :D Does the same go for pump action shotguns?

I assume before the buyback you could buy semi-automatics and handguns easily?

What's the deal with shooting on a family members property? I have family who own property, which is large enough for shooting. Once I get my license and buy a firearm will I be able to target shoot there?

Yeah it was easier pre '96 to get your hands on that stuff. Legally you're not supposed to 'target shoot' anywhere except for designated shooting ranges but you could get away with sighting in on your family's properties ;)
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sarki » 21 Nov 2013, 10:01 am

JC102 wrote:I assume before the buyback you could buy semi-automatics and handguns easily?

There was still a licensing process and everything obviously but yes, you could more or less have a semi-auto no questions asked.
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 21 Nov 2013, 10:01 pm

I've heard/seen people target shooting on their properties heaps of times. I just assumed it was legal.

If you were caught could that result in loss of license? Or is it just frowned upon?
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Muddy1967 » 22 Nov 2013, 4:15 am

JC102 wrote:I've heard/seen people target shooting on their properties heaps of times. I just assumed it was legal.

If you were caught could that result in loss of license? Or is it just frowned upon?

Are we talking Semi Auto's here or any fire arm?

Am I getting confused?, Is it legal to target shoot on private land with a bolt action Rifle in Victoria?

God bless,
Clay
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 22 Nov 2013, 7:29 am

JC102 wrote:I've heard/seen people target shooting on their properties heaps of times. I just assumed it was legal.

There isn't much "frowning upon" in firearms legislation. It's either legal or it's not.

Muddy1967 wrote:Are we talking Semi Auto's here or any fire arm?

Am I getting confused?, Is it legal to target shoot on private land with a bolt action Rifle in Victoria?

In Victoria you can confirm you're sighted in your private property, e.g. put a few rounds into a target. You can then hunt on your private property as much as you like. This is the same for bolt action or semi (as long as you're appropriately licensed etc. obviously...)

You can not set up anything that could be construed as a range. If you were found putting hundreds of rounds into targets on private property you would have some explaining to do.

Strictly speaking, those are the rules. What some people may do is another matter, and that's on them.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JC102 » 22 Nov 2013, 2:35 pm

Muddy1967 wrote:

Are we talking Semi Auto's here or any fire arm?

God bless,
Clay

Any firearm. I won't qualify for a semi-auto obviously so it will be a cat a or b firearm.

I'm not talking about setting up a range or anything. Let's say I buy a new .22, set up a target to shoot at (with a backing that ensures the bullets would not go through, I'll ask the safety instructor about that) and shoot say, 20 rounds just to test it out. Would that be ok? If not I'll just stick to the range.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aster » 22 Nov 2013, 2:52 pm

JC102 wrote:Any firearm. I won't qualify for a semi-auto obviously so it will be a cat a or b firearm.

I'm not talking about setting up a range or anything. Let's say I buy a new .22, set up a target to shoot at (with a backing that ensures the bullets would not go through, I'll ask the safety instructor about that) and shoot say, 20 rounds just to test it out. Would that be ok? If not I'll just stick to the range.

Mate, you'll soon learn that the problem with firearm laws is that most of it is very open to interpretation.

Like Lorgar said, strictly speaking you are not allowed to set up a range or do target shooting on private property in Victoria. The problem is they don't specify exactly what it means to be "a range".

You can sight in on private property. But again, it doesn't specify a limit on what number is considered "sighting in" and what number you have to cross for them to say your shooting like "a range".

Don't ask me why there is a difference between putting 1,000 rounds out while hunting, and 1,000 rounds out while shooting a target on your own property, but that's the way it is for the moment.

In practice, I can't believe anyone could possibly care about you putting 20 rounds into a target to break in / sight in a new rifle.

Like mentioned above though, if a neighbour complained to the cops that they could hear hundreds of rounds going out every day then you might have to explain yourself.

This is all being pretty pedantic though, just for the sake of the conversation.

For what you've described above, I'd be astonished if you ever had a problem.
Aster

-

Post by JC102 » 22 Nov 2013, 5:37 pm

Aster wrote:
JC102 wrote:Any firearm. I won't qualify for a semi-auto obviously so it will be a cat a or b firearm.

Mate, you'll soon learn that the problem with firearm laws is that most of it is very open to interpretation.

Like Lorgar said, strictly speaking you are not allowed to set up a range or do target shooting on private property in Victoria. The problem is they don't specify exactly what it means to be "a range".

You can sight in on private property. But again, it doesn't specify a limit on what number is considered "sighting in" and what number you have to cross for them to say your shooting like "a range".

Don't ask me why there is a difference between putting 1,000 rounds out while hunting, and 1,000 rounds out while shooting a target on your own property, but that's the way it is for the moment.

In practice, I can't believe anyone could possibly care about you putting 20 rounds into a target to break in / sight in a new rifle.

Like mentioned above though, if a neighbour complained to the cops that they could hear hundreds of rounds going out every day then you might have to explain yourself.

This is all being pretty pedantic though, just for the sake of the conversation.

For what you've described above, I'd be astonished if you ever had a problem.

Good to know. I'm on good terms with the neighbours and it wouldn't be a regular thing. I'm only up there every few months. I'd just go over and let them know I got my license and explain what I'm doing.

Thanks for all your help, mate. Much appreciated.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Seconds » 23 Nov 2013, 7:31 am

Aster wrote:Mate, you'll soon learn that the problem with firearm laws is that most of it is very open to interpretation.

Yep.

Welcome to the ball of string that is Australian shooting law.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 01 Dec 2013, 6:33 pm

Thanks for all the help.

A few more things.

1)I'm guessing the majority of you don't agree with the laws, how could they be changed in your opinion?
2) I understand that our firearms laws are quite good compared to most of the world (including the UK), but is there any chance that they will loosen up a bit or will they be staying like this?

Thanks.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 01 Dec 2013, 9:40 pm

JC102 wrote:I understand that our firearms laws are quite good compared to most of the world (including the UK), but is there any chance that they will loosen up a bit or will they be staying like this?

There have been a few baby steps in our favour lately, like opening of hunting in national parks in NSW and stuff like that.

Baby steps though, and I would expect a long road ahead for anything to significantly change.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws