POU, club chits and SA licence

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

POU, club chits and SA licence

Post by andym79 » 18 Nov 2013, 6:26 pm

Hi,

I have a Category A,B; POU 1,2,3 on my license.

When I fill out a PTA to acquire a category B firearm, if I tick 1, 2 and 3 for POU am I suppose to get a club chit to be able to use that firearm for POU 1?

I know a category B firearm can be acquired without a club chit, as I have done so, for use POU 3, 2 and 1! When my license is due renewal, will SAPOL say you have x number of firearms for club use (POU 1, 2 and 3), we need X number of club chit so that they can be used for POU 1?

In a nutshell can someone explain to me the role club chits play in category B firearms use?

From SAPOL website

"License Renewal

There is no requirement for a specific number of shoots to be completed to be considered 'active' for longarms, however attendance at one shoot is considered a minimum. Reg 21 (9).

A club chit will be requested by Firearms Branch for the renewal of Class A, B or C licences endorsed with purpose of use 1 regardless of how many other purposes are endorsed on the licence (Section 12 and 19 allows the Registrar to ask for any documentation or certificates to support the issue of a licence or renewal.)

Return To Top
Purchase of Firearms for Club use (POU1)

Chits will be requested for applications to purchase Class B firearms where POU 1 is the only purpose endorsed on the licence. A chit will not be requested if other purposes of use are endorsed for Class B."

it spells out clearly that you can acquire without a chit if you have other POU, but what role do chits play in license renewal?
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: POU, club chits and SA licence

Post by Hardcast » 18 Nov 2013, 9:20 pm

Hey Andy,

This has come up more than once at Club meetings, and as far as I can remember, if you state purpose of use as Hunting and Club use then theoretically
your Club should be giving you a chit anyway, or else, if their rules say so, you can't use the rifle there for comp or standard shoots.
They would let you use it at the range to 'sight in' etc. but not in a comp.
Hope this helps.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by andym79 » 18 Nov 2013, 10:01 pm

Hardcast wrote:Hey Andy,

This has come up more than once at Club meetings, and as far as I can remember, if you state purpose of use as Hunting and Club use then theoretically
your Club should be giving you a chit anyway, or else, if their rules say so, you can't use the rifle there for comp or standard shoots.
They would let you use it at the range to 'sight in' etc. but not in a comp.
Hope this helps.

So how would you go about issuing chits for rifles already purchased and registered? it would have been nice for someone at the club to explain all of this two years ago! Do SAPOL accept chits post registration of a firearm?

in theory would this mean that a rifle used in competitions, not accompanied by a club chit, should not be used in competition?

Why does all of this need to be so confusing.
andym79
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Old Fart » 19 Nov 2013, 6:19 am

andym79 wrote:Why does all of this need to be so confusing.

Yep. All to difficult.

I know in Victoria you just write "hunting" or "target shooting" for your reason and that's it. For proof you just need a club membership if you're doing target shooting. Non of this chit per rifle and half/half proof for different reasons :?

Ours should be the same.

Write a list of your gear and head to your club, they should give you what you need to cover it.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Releb » 19 Nov 2013, 8:48 am

This doesn't half sound like they're just trying to make it too difficult to be worth your while :evil:

What a mess... :?
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hardcast » 19 Nov 2013, 10:37 am

Best talk to the club andy, I mean they might allow you to use them, different clubs have silly little rules.
If you must have a chit to compete, how can an Interclub comp be run, if the other clubs shooters aren't your clubs members. ??
Way too many regs.

At our club, things like this, used to be very strict, (almost over board), not that I would complain about that, I would rather be safe than sorry,
but over the last few years, it seems to have eased off a bit, which then gets confusing.

Yes, if the whole idea of purchasing a firearm is so as to use it at the Club (and to Hunt), then theoretically a 'chit only' rifle should be used,.... is
what I was told by my Club Sec.

But then, if you're a SSAA financial member, you are entitled to shoot at any SSAA affiliated range.

Good luck.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by inventurkey » 19 Nov 2013, 10:40 am

My brain has stopped working trying to understand the SA regs :P
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Hardcast » 19 Nov 2013, 6:57 pm

"My brain has stopped working trying to understand the SA regs" :P

Yeah it's best if you just nod your head and don't try to understand. :oops:
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Tonit » 21 Nov 2013, 10:15 am

Hardcast wrote:Yeah it's best if you just nod your head and don't try to understand. :oops:

That seems to be the Governments motto these days.
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws