Payment Notice

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Payment Notice

Post by cflake » 15 Nov 2016, 7:29 pm

Hi All, I'm a new shooter and live in Victoria.

So after:
- Submitting the forms to attend a safety course
- Waiting 6 weeks for one to start
- Attending course
- Visiting doctor to get ID signed off and paperwork witnessed
- Submitting paperwork and waiting 28 days + AusPost time
- Getting a "You didn't fill in the forms properly" letter
- Revisit doctor to get forms re-signed because the dates didn't match up
- Resubmitting forms
- Waiting anther 7 days

I got a "License payment notice" in the mail. I paid via BPay the same day, then got my photo taken at a photo point.

So my question is.. can I do anything with the payment notice? It contains my license number. I would like to buy ammo (22lr) to use at Springvale.

OR Do I have to wait yet another 2 weeks for someone to mail me a photo license?

They make it hard to get your license that's for sure... And I'm about to do the same for a handgun license (2 NORI shoots down!)
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Payment Notice

Post by RealNick » 16 Nov 2016, 9:10 pm

Been too long since I got my license to remember clearly but isn't there something on the payment notice about it working as an interim license?

Once paid with proof of receipt it works as your license until the photo one arrives, something to that effect?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 16 Nov 2016, 9:16 pm

Proof of payment via receipt is usually good enough but to save the argument questions i just waited for the plastic card, it's only usually a week or two
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 16 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

cflake wrote:
So my question is.. can I do anything with the payment notice? It contains my license number. I would like to buy ammo (22lr) to use at Springvale.

Yes. Proof of payment and the top part of the payment form is your license. You'll get the plastic one in a week or two, however, in the meantime you are fully licensed, just make sure to have both in hard copies on you when you go shopping.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 17 Nov 2016, 7:42 am

I remember some payment had to be made at a Wespac bank
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 17 Nov 2016, 8:18 am

I Cannot speak for Vic but in NSW the payment slip is only valid as a license if renewing an existing license where as if its a new license you need the photo card before buying anything.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Nov 2016, 10:20 am

juststarting wrote:Yes. Proof of payment and the top part of the payment form is your license. You'll get the plastic one in a week or two, however, in the meantime you are fully licensed, just make sure to have both in hard copies on you when you go shopping.

Pretty sure JS is right. Just ask when you go to the lgs
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 01 Aug 2017, 8:23 pm

Sorry to necro this, but does anybody know if this has changed?
Because from what i can gather, the current payment notice in Vic is not valid for anything but paying for your licence.Mine has clearly marked on the lower portion of the upper 3/rd "this payment notice is NOT an interim license/registration or permit" I didn't even ad the caps for dramatic affect, the actual notice has not in caps,bold and underlined, so they seem pretty adamant about it!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 01 Aug 2017, 11:21 pm

I have my partners payment notice for a new license on the fridge from a couple of years ago (eek) and it says "this is not an interim license" so unless that's changed, you might need to wait for the card.

But you can use the license number to start a PTA etc, probably not buy ammo though.
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 02 Aug 2017, 1:12 pm

Dexer wrote:I have my partners payment notice for a new license on the fridge from a couple of years ago (eek) and it says "this is not an interim license" so unless that's changed, you might need to wait for the card.

The unpaid notice isn't a license, doesn't it say more though about once being paid and stamped by the bank it is?

I'm sure that was the case when I got mine like 2-3 years ago.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 02 Aug 2017, 1:53 pm

I should say the part that is on the fridge is the part returned after you've paid. This is the receipt I guess... Vic roads keeps the bottom 2/3's of the page.

Down the bottom is the "not an interim license" part. So, if this is all you're left with until your card comes, I assume that you can't use it? Unless things have changed. Payment was made via BPAY so there's no receipt/stamp on the notice itself. The back of this just has an address update information box.

Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 02 Aug 2017, 5:37 pm

I went rifle shopping today and questioned dealer about notice, he said "nah its all good once paid" but a customer interjected, who happened to be a firearms instructor and they have changed it in the last 12 months.Data card is no longer a temp permit,there is no temp permit so the whole PTA+Licence concurrent thing is no more.Obviously even dealers don't realize this, but it seems from what i can gather now, you simply cannot posses a firearm until 28 days after the issue date of payment notice.
Last edited by Dunxy on 02 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Aug 2017, 5:49 pm

"Payment was made via BPAY so there's no receipt/stamp on the notice itself. "

You do get a receipt though.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 15 Aug 2017, 1:44 pm

Had to necro this as i found some pertinent info (from a long dead post here) and it should be clean cut info for newcomers (like myself) who may stumble upon these threads from google searches.

The payment notice is NOT a interim permit, at least in Vic.
picture sharing

Its obviously been an issue with dealers accepting it, but if you get caught in possession of a firearm without the plastic card you are in breach of the law.Sure SOME dealers MAY turn a blind eye, but i wouldn't want to get caught out and risk losing my licence by not waiting until the proper licence arrives, which in my case took less than a week from paying and having my picture taken.That being said it is still actually illegal for a new licence holder to posses a firearm for the first 28 days, i looked it up because i was curious if i could say borrow one of my mates firearms, but its not allowed.Hell, even shooting his firearms under supervision is verboten anywhere but a range.You may as well consider yourself unlicensed for these first 28 days. Im not saying i agree or disagree with any of this, it is the hard facts though and the last thing you want is somebody to read this thread and get the impression that the data card allows you to posses a firearm when it clearly does not.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws