Where are the lever action fans ?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Where are the lever action fans ?

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Nov 2016, 11:20 am

I'm sure I heard on the telly news the other day that the threatened ban on the Adler was finally buried.
(maybe I was dreaming)

I felt sure that all you lever fans would be all over it like flies,,,,,,

But I can see no comments / postings about it here on the forum :unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Where are the lever action fans ?

Post by Tripod » 26 Nov 2016, 1:08 pm

You rang, Oh you mean cheap Turkish shotguns. Nothing to see here move along.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm

I'm a lever fan, among other things, and I love my old Winnie 94, and the Martinis, and my ML22, and will get another Win 1887 or modern copy one day. As for the Adler, too modern for my liking, a useful tool for the hunter but that is all I care about it. My support for it is based solely on opposition to the concept of banning types of firearm rather than types of people who have them. As for the import ban, as I understand the current status, import of the 5 shot will continue, the 7 shot restricted, and ownership of more than 5 round mags has gone back to the individual States to determine category, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 26 Nov 2016, 5:11 pm

I'm waiting till the Adlers turn 100. Then I'll know they're properly broken in.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Mick280 » 26 Nov 2016, 6:19 pm

Here I am!!!
Give me a SxS any day!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Nov 2016, 6:47 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I'm sure I heard on the telly news the other day that the threatened ban on the Adler was finally buried.
(maybe I was dreaming)

I felt sure that all you lever fans would be all over it like flies,,,,,,

It's a fine day for common sense if that's true.

Ill expect to see tge 8 + 1 in stores soon.

Surely the anti's would be kicking up a stink with all this "watering down of the JH legacy" after all his lawshave probably saved us all :unknown:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 26 Nov 2016, 9:13 pm

I have a Rossi copy 1892 Winchester in .357"/.38", 20" stainless barrel.
It shoots around 4" at 100 yds with handloaded Hornady 158 gn XTP projectiles, out to 125 yds any sort of predator would be dealing with a couple of pounds of homogenized body tissue and probably fall dead.
15gn of AR2205 is my load with that projectile but the small rifle does give significant recoil, I am getting old and on blood thinning meds so bodged up a recoil pad to avoid bruising, the buttplate is a s**t "period" very narrow crescent shape which does not help.
I have not fed .38" ammo through the rifle yet but have 100 once fired cases which I will load with less costly lead projectiles.
Interesting thing with the Rossi is that they offer it chambered for the .454" Casull, rifle weight is less because of the larger hole in std outside diameter barrel and recoil with hot loads would be astronomical !
My rifle works well but needed some low cost 'mechanicking" to do it's best, a good resource is "The Rossi Rifleman" site out of the US.
A 16" barrel carbon steel rifle with whatever loads would be a handy thing, particularly given that ammunition can be replenished in action without need to remove a magazine.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kelix » 01 Dec 2016, 10:49 am

Die Judicii wrote:I'm sure I heard on the telly news the other day that the threatened ban on the Adler was finally buried.
(maybe I was dreaming)

On the radio this morning they were still going on about the ban and reclassification, so still getting looked at :unknown:
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Itshurting » 06 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm

Picking up the Pardus Lax12 next week.
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars".

Remington
Henry
Mossberg
Krico
Cashmore
Pardus
Itshurting
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 06 Dec 2016, 9:01 pm

@Tiger650, I have the exact same rifle (purchased 2 weeks ago) and looking forward to actually shooting it. I had been looking for a 357/38 lever for ages that could take a scope but gave up after a year of waiting on Marlin and bought the little Rossi. Had a blued one back in the 80's and it accounted for many rabbits around Hill End. The 158gr XTP's with 15gr 2205 are what I run through my Desert Eagle as it needs the punch to overcome the gas piston and muzzle break. I can get 2-3" groups @50m with that load which is good for a pistol. Nice to hear that load works well in the Rossi as it'll save me the over head of multiple loads in the same caliber. I've also tried 6gr of AP70 and 8.8gr of AP100 on the 158gr XTP but had issues with unburnt powder on the short 6" barrel but they might be worth a try in a 16" barrel. For a light target load you can try 5gr of AP70 with either the TopScore 124gr LRN or the Hornady 125gr XTP (#35710).
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by BBJ » 07 Dec 2016, 12:41 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I felt sure that all you lever fans would be all over it like flies,,,,,,

Falling from the forefront of conversation a bit but still going here, hearing snippets here and there.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Queensland gun laws