First Time PTA

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

First Time PTA

Post by Lokvo » 01 Dec 2016, 10:03 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to ask a maybe rather stupid newbie question.

Just received my first ever PTA in the mail today (technically two of them). Question is when I purchase firearms online, can I email the PTA's to the firearms dealer? or do I have to 'fax' it specifically? everything I read about PTA's only ever mentions faxing PTA's to dealers and from there the dealer will send the bottom portion of your PTA (Disposal of Firearms) to QWL to register the firearms under your license. So to email or fax? Cheers fellas.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: First Time PTA

Post by Mongrel » 01 Dec 2016, 10:40 pm

I have only ever taken my PTA's to the dealer personally, sry i cant comment on eithe email or fax.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AnotherMisfire » 02 Dec 2016, 1:41 am

In Qld the "fax to dealer" option only applies before the PTA is issued. Only weapons licensing can fax to a dealer.

I'm guessing the firearm you're buying is from a dealer? Then you need to have them send it to a dealer near you and show up in person with the PTA
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Chickenhawk » 02 Dec 2016, 9:46 am

Probably just the same instructions that have been written on the form forever, before email was common :lol:

Do most places even have a fax these days? :unknown:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lokvo » 02 Dec 2016, 10:43 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't notice a field anywhere to have QWL fax a copy of the PTA of my selected dealer when I applied for my PTA online, besides entering my desired dealers license number etc. I guess I'm just lost as to what to do with the PTA now lol as the dealer I'm purchasing my firearms from is actually 1000 km's away.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 02 Dec 2016, 10:59 am

Get them to post to your LGS and take your pta in after it has arrived.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lokvo » 02 Dec 2016, 11:48 am

What If I can't physically take my PTA in as I'm ordering online from a dealer 24 hours drive away?
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hangfire » 02 Dec 2016, 11:51 am

The dealer cannot mail it to you he will mail it to a local gun store and you need to pick it up from there with your PTA. There will be a cost for your lgs to process this for you. Further if its from a different state it can take a few days to have is registered in ypur state.
Hangfire
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Dec 2016, 3:31 pm

Lokvo wrote:What If I can't physically take my PTA in as I'm ordering online from a dealer 24 hours drive away?

The dealer you're buying it from doesn't need the PTA. The dealer you actually pick the rifle up from needs the PTA before he can hand the rifle to you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Dec 2016, 10:08 pm

Faxes...........what are they? Just joking. Phone the police and tell them they need to get with the 21st centry. :)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 05 Dec 2016, 12:50 pm

Thanks for info guys. I should be able to wade my way through and hopefully end up with some firearms :)
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Skitz » 26 Apr 2017, 4:33 am

Sweet info guy, I was looking for this for a while :lol:
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws