How to prepare for a long arm safety course?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

How to prepare for a long arm safety course?

Post by AlexV » 06 Dec 2016, 3:02 am

Hey guys, just would like to ask a newbie question: how do you prepare for longarms safety course? All what I see is Police PDF booklets about very basic rules like "treat any firearm as if it is loaded" etc. Is it enough to pass a safety course? Any other options? Any good advice? Thank you. :)
AlexV
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: How to prepare for a long arm safety course?

Post by pomemax » 06 Dec 2016, 9:17 am

what state are you in may help then people from that state will ans you
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 06 Dec 2016, 9:30 am

For what it's worth the VIC one was no problem, some of the questions bordered on stupid to be honest.

Like multiple choice on how to do a basic action like pass a firearm, and one answer is safe, one is a bit dodgy and one is obviously ridiculous.

Only preparation required I think is to not turn up drunk :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bosbefok » 06 Dec 2016, 1:02 pm

When I did mine in QLD it was all general knowledge on safety and storage etc. I dont remember studying for it tbh.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by p3seven » 06 Dec 2016, 4:28 pm

Qld was open book with the questions following the chapters in the instruction manual.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 06 Dec 2016, 4:40 pm

Take yourself and some common sense, if you fail you shouldn't be handling a fork let alone a firearm, in other non sarcastic terms, she'll be right mate relax
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Supaduke » 06 Dec 2016, 5:46 pm

Take the time to learn some basic terminology. Learn what the basic parts of a firearm are. Know what a muzzle, breech, chamber etc are. Learn the difference between a clip and a magazine. It will make it all a bit easier if you have a basic understanding of what they are talking about.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by jaydos » 06 Dec 2016, 7:00 pm

safety course in qld is basically a waste of time unless you're a tad bit simple tbh, the whole day is just reiterating that you should treat any firearm as loaded and basically not be a d**khead with guns.
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 06 Dec 2016, 7:01 pm

Prepare for a course? isn't the whole point of the course to teach you what you need to know? :unknown:

Relax, go in, pay attention and ask questions about anything you don't understand. In the world of competency based testing it's the instructor's fault if you don't pass the course :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 06 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

AusTac wrote:Take yourself and some common sense, if you fail you shouldn't be handling a fork let alone a firearm, in other non sarcastic terms, she'll be right mate relax

This. To be honest the exam really should be quite a bit harder than it is. Anyway, when I did it (NSW) the instructor told me he'd only ever failed one person. The only person in my group who came even close to failing was an older gent who was ex-military; I think every time he picked up the rifle it was like hard wired muscle memory and his tendency was not to put it down to climb over a fence etc, which if you're in the army probably makes a bit more sense I guess.

Just pay attention, remember the correct answer is almost always the most cautious/safety concious one, and you'll be fine. Remember - they aren't teaching you how to shoot, you won't get near a live round, they're just giving you the rules so you aren't dangerous to yourself or others, and checking you aren't too thick to understand them. It's not about skill, it's about basic common sense and awareness.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Dec 2016, 7:33 pm

Never needed em in my day :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by scotty87 » 06 Dec 2016, 7:57 pm

Have a good night's sleep the night before and don't be hungover.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Itshurting » 06 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

In Vic there are 2 exams during the course.
A legal test about firearms laws and storage then the safety course exam.
We were told "Fail the first test and you don't do the second"
Local DFO did the legal and a civilian safety instructor did the safety test.Both were very helpful and no one failed the course.
Everything is covered in the Safety booklet available online and just listen during the course.
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars".

Remington
Henry
Mossberg
Krico
Cashmore
Pardus
Itshurting
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AlexV » 07 Dec 2016, 1:31 am

Thank you, guys, awesome answers. I'm perking up! And thank you for the details, especially regarding NSW - which I was looking specifically. Thank you all for your time and input.
AlexV
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Lokvo » 07 Dec 2016, 8:16 am

2 cents from QLD. Once I fell down the firearm rabbit hole and researched the crap out of everything, I actually found that when I turned up for the safety course I was relatively well abreast of all the terminology, safety aspect etc. So just read up, which you will no doubt do anyway if your into it. Also get a USI number.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Dec 2016, 9:07 am

If you live in the bush and are XYZ km's from a testing facility you don't have to do the theory side of things from memory, you just do the ABC type written test and that's it (most people in the bush have someone that can show them the other stuff anyway) firearms use and ownership is pretty much common sense in a lot of ways anyway, ie don't point a gun at anyone whether loaded or not, don't climb through/over a fence with a loaded firearm, always know what state of readiness your firearm is in ie loaded unloaded etc, don't get into a vehicle with a loaded firearm etc etc, know where your bullet it going type thing ie be aware of what's behind your intended target, is it safe to shoot in that direction or not etc etc.

They show you what the diff types of actions are and you are supposed to be able to tell the diff ie bolt action, pump action, semi auto and break barrel etc

Like I say it's not hard, just common sense for the most part - just read the booklet and you'll be fine I'm sure.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Dec 2016, 9:32 am

Get familiar with what different firearms look like, ie: 'action' types.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 07 Dec 2016, 9:44 am

When I did my course around 6 months back (Qld), for the written test everyone was aloud to talk amongst each other, discuss answers and openely cheat off each other, then after that if you were still dumb enough to get the questions wrong when old mate instructor marked your paper he would give it back to you to fix up.....and yes some people went back a couple of times before getting their 100% pass mark.....we were aloud to use our mobiles etc to look up answers as well so I don't know why anyone needed to get answers from another student then still get answers wrong..
Personally I just read all the regs on the Qld police site before I even thought about getting my licence again as I wanted to know all the new rules, regs and requirements before applying (thought this was a given), the night before my course I had another skim through to refresh and that's all I needed to pass, turns out had I of not done this I would have passed anyway, it was pretty much impossible not to...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by alby » 07 Dec 2016, 10:07 am

I did mine (NSW) in august through the local club captain. He told me he'd failed one person in 20 years, and he is a stickler for safety. It's pretty common sense stuff, most answers are obvious.

During the practical he just wanted to see that I always assumed the rifle was loaded. Things like he checked the chamber to confirm unloaded and handed to me. I immediately checked again even though I just watched him do it. That got a nod and grunt of approval.

And don't be afraid to ask questions, even though the course itself is straightforward I learned a lot by picking his brain while I had the chance.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws