Category A PTA 28 day waiting period

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Category A PTA 28 day waiting period

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Dec 2016, 2:04 am

So I have a Cat A firearm. Which is a rimfire rifle. Is there a a mandatory waiting period for another Cat A PTA, but being for a shotgun? I've heard people say that there's no waiting period for something in the same category you already have. But from what it says there, it's same type of firearm.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Category A PTA 28 day waiting period

Post by Wylie27 » 11 Dec 2016, 6:29 am

It goes on category..

Cat A, Cat B. Well in NSW it does. My shotgun PTA arrived in about two weeks.

For Cat H it goes on rimfire / centrefire..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Dec 2016, 7:49 am

I'm not sure if they do it on purpose, but the police tend to confuse and interpret...they love to interpret.... they would have been a lot more clear had they said CATEGORY rather than TYPE.... to me 22 rimfire bolt action is NOT the same type as a double 12g... though they ARE the same category....

31A Waiting period for issuing permits to acquire firearms

(1) The Commissioner must not issue a permit authorising a person to acquire a firearm until after the end of the period of 28 days following the day on which the application for the permit is made.

(2) [b]Subsection (1) does not apply
in relation to an application for a permit to acquire a firearm to which a particular category of licence applies if a firearm to which that licence category applies was registered in the applicant’s name at any time during the period of 90 days immediately before the date on which the application was made and that registration was not cancelled under section 35 during that 90 day period.

(3) For the purposes of subsection (2), a category A and category B licence are taken to be the same licence category.[/b]
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by alby » 11 Dec 2016, 10:01 am

"For the purpose of a PTA application, category A and B firearms are considered to be the same type of firearm. For example, if you have a licence issued for both category A and B and you have a category A type firearm registered to you at the time of making application for a category B type firearm, there is no waiting period for the issue of your PTA."

This is from NSW FAQ. seems that there should be no wait period.
alby
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by oldmateadz » 11 Dec 2016, 10:55 am

Excellent. Cheers for the replies.

And I'll also just add, the whole waiting period and $30 for a PTA is an absolute joke.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Seconds » 12 Dec 2016, 1:16 pm

oldmateadz wrote:And I'll also just add, the whole waiting period and $30 for a PTA is an absolute joke.

Ask the WA boys about a joke.

I think it's $180 there to APPLY.

No guarantee it's even a done deal and you still do your $180 either way.
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 12 Dec 2016, 1:27 pm

Sorta close.

You have to buy the firearm, then get a serviceability certificate, get a property letter, make your application online, take the application printout, serviceability certificate and ID to the post office, where you pay your $180, then wait for your new license to arrive in the mail. The last one I did took exactly three weeks to arrive in my mailbox.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AndyZ » 12 Dec 2016, 5:45 pm

I'm doing the 28 day waiting period in WA ATM. Have shelled out over $1800 and no guarantee on approval.
Tikka T3X .223 Rem
Howa 1500 GRS 6.5mm CM
Remington 700 .308 Win
Ruger American .22LR
AndyZ
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by cala90 » 13 Dec 2016, 9:08 pm

AndyZ wrote:I'm doing the 28 day waiting period in WA ATM. Have shelled out over $1800 and no guarantee on approval.

That's insane! Glad I'm in Victoria!
Ruger American 22LR
Howa 1500 Varmint Fluted 223
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by oldmateadz » 13 Dec 2016, 10:08 pm

AndyZ wrote:I'm doing the 28 day waiting period in WA ATM. Have shelled out over $1800 and no guarantee on approval.

Jesus! And here I am crying about 30 bucks. That whole process sounds like a major sick around too.
Keep on Shootin'!
oldmateadz
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Dec 2016, 8:24 am

bentaz wrote:I still advise you all to move to Victoria, I get permits back in 15 minutes somedays.
Vic already has some of the better firearms regulations available to us in Aust, but imagine if we could get all the shooters to move here and vote, it'd be Texas in no time :lol:

Not if the Reds have anything to say about it.... just wait for Danny Boy and his not-so-merry band of social engineers to introduce legislation concerning the Adler recat, and see what other bits they try to sneak in while the door is open... :thumbsdown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by cala90 » 14 Dec 2016, 1:24 pm

bentaz wrote:I still advise you all to move to Victoria, I get permits back in 15 minutes somedays.
Vic already has some of the better firearms regulations available to us in Aust, but imagine if we could get all the shooters to move here and vote, it'd be Texas in no time :lol:

Yep, I spoke to the Victorian LRD a few days back in regards to permit times over Christmas. She said they're only closed on the public holidays but any other day the permit will still clear the same day (depending on your circumstances of course).
Not bad for a busy time of year! :clap:
Ruger American 22LR
Howa 1500 Varmint Fluted 223
Webley & Scott 912 12G
cala90
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AndyZ » 03 May 2017, 5:34 pm

The $1800 was for rifle, application fee, property letter and licence but if you get knocked back you own a rifle you can't collect. Apparently dealer under no obligation to keep the rifle and refund you. Fortunately all OK. The approval came back 28 days on the dot.
Tikka T3X .223 Rem
Howa 1500 GRS 6.5mm CM
Remington 700 .308 Win
Ruger American .22LR
AndyZ
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by WildHunter » 14 Aug 2018, 9:28 pm

I know I've missed the boat here, but to clarify - I believe the question was posed by a Victorian? am I correct?

Anyways either way. IN VICTORIA, there is no waiting period for any subsequent firearm after one has been registered to any licence you have.
There is a 28 day waiting period for new licences.

I got my AB standard 28 days, my provisional Cat H, standard 28 days. My full cat H once again, 28 days, and My CDE and L, you guessed it 28 days! The waiting period begins once your application has been processed and approved. If there is something wrong and your application is denied or sent back for rectification it is done the day your application was processed, not 28 days later. Despite popular opinion, there are no background checks completed during the 28 days waiting period. These are done when the application is processed, the 28 days is simply a waiting period and nothing more. At the end of the 28 days your approval is sent out to you and pay, get your photo etc.

I had about 12 firearms registered to me when I put in Cat H PTA, it was approved straight away, well once it got to LRD. There was a two weeks of f***ing around period where my club sent my application back to me twice! Once to fill out a form that is not a legal requirement or issued from LRD but a club policy that said my safe meets criteria and I won't use my handgun for anything other than approved target shooting and the second time because I didn't write my date of birth somewhere. Information they had on file and could of filled in but no we'll post it back to him! Eventually it got to LRD and I had a PTA in the mail 4 days later.

My first Cat C firearm I put my PTA in with the licence. The f***ing semi-auto rifle was approved before my licence because I had to wait 28 days for the new licence but given I already had firearms registered to other licences the PTA was approved right away. It just wasn't sent out till I'd paid for my licence.

The quickest PTA I ever had approved was 15 minutes. Put it in at shop, walked out with a firearm 20 minutes later.

I will complain about the cost of $50 per handgun PTA

and I definitely will complain about the $9.20 per longarm PTA

Should be free and PTAs should exist!!!
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by keenstalking22 » 14 Aug 2018, 9:30 pm

AndyZ wrote:The $1800 was for rifle, application fee, property letter and licence but if you get knocked back you own a rifle you can't collect. Apparently dealer under no obligation to keep the rifle and refund you. Fortunately all OK. The approval came back 28 days on the dot.

Why did you buy the rifle when there is no guarantee the PTA would clear?
keenstalking22
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by bladeracer » 15 Aug 2018, 8:10 am

keenstalking22 wrote:Why did you buy the rifle when there is no guarantee the PTA would clear?

I've never applied for a PtA before buying a firearm. I buy them, the arrive at my dealer, he runs the PtA's, I go in and pick them up.

However, as I have more than fifteen Cat B firearms I'm currently awaiting approval on five rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to New South Wales gun laws