Moving to Victoria

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Moving to Victoria

Post by jordan.reeve » 13 Dec 2016, 7:56 pm

Hey guys. I'm moving to Victoria from act and looking to change over my gun licence.
I'm having afew issues understanding how to go about afew things.
With the 100 points of Id. From what what I'm understanding, I have to get a jp or another 'accepted referee' to sign my id and the reference part of my application paper work. But I have to have known this person for over 12 months? I haven't known a Victorian for 12 months let alone one that is a jp.

I also got told that I could submit my paperwork without my certificate saying I have completed the safety course. Something to with because I have a current interstate licence, I have to submit my application within 7 days of moving the VIC. So it's unrealistic that I'll get the course done in that time.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

This will be he 3rd state I get a gun Licence in. Every state is slightly different but equally painful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jordan
jordan.reeve
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Moving to Victoria

Post by EvoXNS » 16 Dec 2016, 3:02 pm

jordan.reeve wrote:Hey guys. I'm moving to Victoria from act and looking to change over my gun licence.
I'm having afew issues understanding how to go about afew things.
With the 100 points of Id. From what what I'm understanding, I have to get a jp or another 'accepted referee' to sign my id and the reference part of my application paper work. But I have to have known this person for over 12 months? I haven't known a Victorian for 12 months let alone one that is a jp.

I also got told that I could submit my paperwork without my certificate saying I have completed the safety course. Something to with because I have a current interstate licence, I have to submit my application within 7 days of moving the VIC. So it's unrealistic that I'll get the course done in that time.
Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

This will be he 3rd state I get a gun Licence in. Every state is slightly different but equally painful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jordan

Hi Jordan, I went thru the same thing when I moved to Vic from NT and I've just done it all again after moving to SA. I went to a public JP and explained my issue and they signed for me so maybe just give it a go? The best thing to do is put your guns with a dealer while you sort licencing, then you don't have to worry about the timing issue. I wish I could remember the exact steps for you but it was many moons ago! One thing I do know is that the cops in Vic are SO much more relaxed than the firearms division here in SA. All the best mate, enjoy Vic. Cheers
EvoXNS
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by jordan.reeve » 16 Dec 2016, 8:51 pm

Thanks evoxns. Funny you say that about the firearms police, I went to my local police station today and had the best chat with a cop about guns. She owns guns herself and was telling me about the trouble she had moving to Victoria as well. To quote her, she called it 'bulls**t' haha.

I've moved to wodonga Bentaz.
jordan.reeve
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by jordan.reeve » 17 Dec 2016, 2:25 pm

Hey Bentaz, it doesn't look like anything has come through yet.
jordan.reeve
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 19 Dec 2016, 12:19 pm

jordan.reeve wrote:I'm having afew issues understanding how to go about afew things.

They don't have to be a resident / official of Victoria, just hold one of the allowed positions / professions.

Follow the link 'Category A, B longarms licence' on this page http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=34468 to download the VIC license application and have a look at page 12.

Part 7– Identification Reference continued – List of Acceptable Referees
The following people can act as referees for Part 7
The Referee must have known you for at least 12 months.

A few extracts from that:

A member of:
• the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia,
• the Australian Society of Certified Practising Accountants, or
• the National Institute of Accountants.

A full time employee of
• a financial institution; or
• a corporation that is a registered corporation within the meaning of the Financial Corporation Act 1974;
who has been employed continuously for at least 5 years by one or more financial bodies.

An individual registered or licensed as
• a dentist,
• a medical practitioner,
• a pharmacist, or
• a veterinary surgeon,
under a law of a State or Territory providing for that registration or licensing.

A justice of the peace of a State or Territory

Note the various references to "a State or Territory", not "Victoria".

Your current local accountant, banker, dentist, pharmacist, vet, etc., whoever you know, will all do.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jordan.reeve » 19 Dec 2016, 4:58 pm

Thanks Lorgar.
Na Bentaz, not an AJ. Funny enough I found out today I'm not aloud in the forces due to a medical condition. Childhood dream shattered lol.
jordan.reeve
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoda72 » 22 Dec 2016, 8:48 am

Hi Jordan,

Its not a hassle at all getting your Vic licence as I have just done the same thing from SA last year.
All I did was go into the local Pol;ice station & sign up for their version of a safety course, which is remarkably like the SA one but with no cost!
This took 5 weeks to get on the course & once that was done, send off your paperwork & approx 4 weeks later, you get your licence lette in the mail.
Alot less hassle compared to SA & I am a military member who teaches not only small arms but is a range instructor!

Dont just let the recruiters tell you that you cant join mate, fight it!.
Send off some paperwork to challenge your childhood condition. I did & have been in now for too many years to remember!
Hope all goes well
BRNO ZKW 465- 17 ACK Hornet 8x56mm Kahles
BRNO Mod 2E- Zeiss 3-9x42mm
Rem 700 17 Rem- 10x Burris
Rem 700 .223 VSSF- 3.5-10x40mm Leupold MK4
SMLE .303 Sporter- 4x40mm Tasco worldclass
SMLE 1942 "HB" fullwood W aperture sight
yoda72
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws