Can you send a PTA at the same time as your licence - NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Can you send a PTA at the same time as your licence - NSW

Post by 308cool » 28 Dec 2016, 5:57 pm

Hi,
I was wondering wether in NSW, can you send a PTA in while waiting for your firearms licence application like in VIC?
Any help would be appreciated,
Cheers.
- Browing X-Bolt .25-06 / Meopta Meopro 4-12x50
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Can you send a PTA at the same time as your licence - NS

Post by Apollo » 28 Dec 2016, 6:16 pm

Last time I checked with FAR the answer was NO. You need to wait until you have a licence number in order to submit the PTA. Maybe things have changed but I doubt it.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by ItsMe » 28 Dec 2016, 6:27 pm

I waited until I had my letter to get my photo taken and posted my PTA applications on the same day as per the advice from the FAR.

Worked for me.
ItsMe
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 29 Dec 2016, 12:49 pm

Too easy.
Cheers
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 04 Apr 2017, 10:24 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (132.52 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
Hey guys - new forum user here, so sorry to drag up an old thread - but thought I'd add to it.

I received conflicting reports about this question. A relative of mine was adamant you could submit your first PTA while your licence was still being processed. I filled out a contact form on the FAR website, but hadn't heard back from them for a few days, so gave them a call to ask. The lady on the phone advised that you could not submit your PTA until your licence had been issued. However I received a response to my initial enquiry a few days later saying you COULD submit whilst your licence was underway.

I thought what the heck, and submitted anyway. A few days after the PTA was delivered to the FAR, I noticed the magic $30 charge on my credit card! As of today, my PTA has showed up in the tracking system!

So as it stands, it looks like you can submit and have the processed at the same time! I'm hoping so anyway. For the record, in the field for licence number on the PTA form I wrote "Yet to be issued".

See below screenshot of the tracking website.

Hopefully this clears it up, but I'll update once I actually have both items successfully processed at roughly the same time!
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sherwin93 » 11 Apr 2017, 5:33 pm

Yep, sent my PTAs same time as licence app' with "PENDING" in the lic number field. Received my licence yesterday and my PTA hasn't been issued yet, so I think it could be that the 28 day timer doesn't start until you have a valid licence. So while you can send it early you may not get your firearm any faster.

cap.PNG
cap.PNG (41.13 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

*if i get my pta sooner than expected I'll edit so people new to the sport have some idea of the time it can take at best.
Lithgow LA101 - 22LR
Sherwin93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 12 Apr 2017, 7:50 pm

Bummer! Fingers crossed it's just a case of them not starting to process the PTA until your licence is valid - and then it's only subject to the "standard" processing times of any subsequent PTA and there's no additional time added for mandatory waiting periods because you've already had more than 28 days.

If not, I'm in trouble trying to get my licence and PTA processed before my upcoming hunting trip at the end of next month!

Out of curiosity Sherwin93, when did you receive your photo advice letter? Just trying to work out what the rough processing timeframes are at the moment. I guess the minimum processing time for your app would have been right in the middle of the flooding at Murwillumbah though.
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 308cool » 12 Apr 2017, 10:15 pm

Geech wrote:Bummer! Fingers crossed it's just a case of them not starting to process the PTA until your licence is valid - and then it's only subject to the "standard" processing times of any subsequent PTA and there's no additional time added for mandatory waiting periods because you've already had more than 28 days.

If not, I'm in trouble trying to get my licence and PTA processed before my upcoming hunting trip at the end of next month!

Out of curiosity Sherwin93, when did you receive your photo advice letter? Just trying to work out what the rough processing timeframes are at the moment. I guess the minimum processing time for your app would have been right in the middle of the flooding at Murwillumbah though.

I got my licence processed in January so only 3 months ago, and it took exactly 28 days from arrival until changing to 'photo advice'. I went to RMS the day I got my photo and rang the FAR and they said I could submit my PTA then even though I had yet to get my card. My pta was then processed in exactly 28 days from arrival as well.
Cheers
308cool
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Sherwin93 » 13 Apr 2017, 12:09 pm

Geech wrote:Out of curiosity Sherwin93, when did you receive your photo advice letter?

I received the letter on the 4th of april, status changed to valid on the 6th and my licence arrived on the 10th.
and my PTA was marked issued on the 11th but the other PTA is still being processed so not sure what's up with that.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (43.03 KiB) Viewed 5689 times
Lithgow LA101 - 22LR
Sherwin93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 13 Apr 2017, 1:35 pm

Sherwin93 wrote:I received the letter on the 4th of april

Awesome - thanks for that!

Seeing as one of your PTA's has been processed, I think it's safe to say the FAR will begin the waiting period for your first PTA prior to your receiving your licence. All in all, 6 1/2 weeks for both licence and PTA is pretty good - and better than what all the local gun dealers had me believe.

A lot can change, but now I'm hopeful I'll get everything sorted and be able to pick up my rifle before my upcoming trip! :drinks:
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sherwin93 » 19 Apr 2017, 8:21 am

Just an update. My second PTA has changed to issued.
Lithgow LA101 - 22LR
Sherwin93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wobble » 19 Apr 2017, 1:27 pm

Gratz :mrgreen:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Yipikaye » 20 Apr 2017, 11:28 am

Hi guys,

Just confirming can I submit the PTA in the same mail as the licence application and leave the license number on the PTA blank? Or do I wait until I get a licence number and the 28 day cooling off period starts then submit PTA with the license number?

Thanks
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 20 Apr 2017, 11:38 am

I asked the firearms registry call center again yesterday, and she said you can submit at the same time, but that the PTA will not begin to be processed until the licence has been issued. In an email I received from the FAR, they said the 28 days starts as soon as the PTA application is received. Sherwin93's timeframe for his licence/PTA seem to suggest that you din't need to wait the full 28 days though.

Either way, there seems to be no harm in submitting them at the same time - worst case, it's processed from the day you have your photo taken - best case, it's processed quicker than the full 56 days if they'd been submitted seperately
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sherwin93 » 20 Apr 2017, 6:01 pm

Yipikaye wrote: can I submit the PTA in the same mail as the licence application and leave the license number on the PTA blank?

I sent my PTA in a separate envelope but at the same time as I sent my application and I wrote pending in the licence number.
Lithgow LA101 - 22LR
Sherwin93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Sherwin93 » 22 Apr 2017, 8:41 am

Received my pta in the post yesterday 21/4
Lithgow LA101 - 22LR
Sherwin93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 28 Apr 2017, 6:29 pm

Hi All,

How long did it take once you requested your application forms for them to arrive. I applied online 3 weeks ago, I called on Monday and they said they hadn't started it but did the process on the phone with me. They mentioned it gets printed and posted over night. Granted Tuesday was a public holiday but I would have thought the application forms would have arrived today.

I guess if they're not in Monday's mail I should call again?
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 28 Apr 2017, 9:44 pm

That sounds similar. I applied online on the 20th of Feb. I called on the 14th of March to find out what was going on, and was told they had been sent "weeks beforehand".

The lady I spoke with ordered another application to be sent - but of course I received my original set that afternoon.

Interestingly, I received my 2nd app forms about a week later - so it seems quicker to order them over the phone than online
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ratsmitglied » 29 Apr 2017, 8:20 am

My forms always take at least 10 days to arrive, still waiting on PTAs that were approved last week to turn up.
Ratsmitglied
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 29 Apr 2017, 8:27 am

Ok great to know it's not just me. Maybe I won't get them at all this coming week. :(
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 02 May 2017, 2:12 pm

Finally my NSW Firearms License application arrived today 22 days after submitting my first request.

I've already completed the application forms and included a PTA for a Category B firearm with "Pending" in the Firearms application number box.

I sent this back today via registered post.

I'll keep you all in the loop on how this goes.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 06 May 2017, 12:01 am

My firearms license application has been processed 2 days ago. When I check online there is no PTA.

I notice on the PTA FAQ For NSW it says clearly "DO NOT send a PTA application until your firearms licence has been issued and received by you from Service NSW/RMS." so I suspect they've just ignored it.
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/f ... _questions

Anyone who has done both at the same time was this NSW or another state?
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 06 May 2017, 3:25 pm

I spoke with the firearms registry yesterday, and they were still adamant my PTA 28 days wouldn't start until my licence was valid, despite showing as being received ages ago.... my licence changed to valid today, so I should know more soon. As a few ppl have said, their PTA was definitely processed quicker than 28 days, so I am hopeful. I've not heard of anyone submitting them both at the same time having to wait the additional full 28 days.

From memory, my PTA took over a week to show up on the tracker, but when it did the date was backdated to when it was received. Has your credit card been charged for the PTA yet?

You've had a pretty quick turnaround if you have received your confirmation letter already!
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 07 May 2017, 8:09 am

It was a very fast turn around. I sent the application via express post with a signature required. They had processed my application within hours of signing to receive the letter.

I'm actually not in a hurry to receive my Class B PTA now as I put a deposit down for a new Tikka but Beretta may not be able to fulfill the order until November. I'm number 154 of 150 in the queue :(
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Geech » 10 May 2017, 9:41 am

OK, as a final update. Despite being told by the FAR call center several times (as recently as yesterday) the cooling off period for the first PTA does not start until the licence is issued - it looks like it does start from the application date.

My first PTA has changed to "Issued" today. My timeline is as follows:

20/3 - Licence App received
27/3 - PTA app received
2/5 - Photo advice letter received
6/5 - Licence status changed to "Valid"
10/5 - PTA status changed to "Issued"
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 11 May 2017, 5:50 pm

Hi all,

Update for me:
Posted both applications​ on 2/5/17 from sydney in same envelope.

Firearms permit proceed on 4/5/17
Exactly one week later PTA processed 11/5/17. Online check shows application date for PTA back dated to 4/5/17.

I can confirm my timeline is the same as Geech with both overlapping. Expectation is PTA will arrive exactly 1 week after my license.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Yipikaye » 27 Jun 2017, 6:13 pm

Hi All,

Just FYI. Interesting turn of events.

I was expecting my PTA last week as it was 1 week after my license turned to Valid however it did not.

I called the FAR and thy insisted the 28 days starts on the day the license turns Valid.

So some people are lucky and fall through the cracks. Others like me, not so.

Ash.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws