suppressors/moderators

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

suppressors/moderators

Post by dugachelli » 30 Dec 2016, 1:36 am

On the subject of suppressors .....what are the reasons for NOT allowing them at all?
It does not make any sense to me at all, as you see in England and New Zealand it's not an issue....America, USA, you have to jump through some hoops etc to have one......what is the problem.
Suppressors are such a asset if only we were free to have them :roll: :roll: :roll:
Our cannons are soooo loud, they scare all the game away, it's such a damm shame that the authorities have this closed mind attitude towards them at all.
I probably will not see it in my lifetime but I do hope that in the future that they will relax the laws so that we can have and enjoy the freedoms that people in other places already enjoy.
dugachelli
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: suppressors/moderators

Post by deye243 » 30 Dec 2016, 2:47 am

popcorn.jpg
popcorn.jpg (99.86 KiB) Viewed 3856 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 30 Dec 2016, 5:27 am

Because if we have cans we'll all suddenly become expert marksmen on the roof tops of the city and silent and invisible to the authorities, we're so dangerous that they need to hear the rifle crack to locate all the illegal shootings by lafo's
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Sam45 » 30 Dec 2016, 6:31 am

I'm currently in NZ and you can buy them off the shelf. No licence required and it's about a 50 -50 ratio.Our Aus gun laws are an absolute joke. When do we start to pull apart GCA and the allanah and Madeleine foundations for truly what they are? Who finances them and where does the money get spent!!
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Dec 2016, 6:32 am

I own quite a few suppressors already, ones attached to the vehicle, another on the lawnmower, the 4 chainsaws have one each, as do the whipper snippers and blower vacs - shame we can't have one of the firearms as well to keep the noise down a bit for those around us, such is life I guess and a shame they can't be more mature about the whole thing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 30 Dec 2016, 10:28 am

Maybe SSAA could lobby the government...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 30 Dec 2016, 10:32 am

Ssaa.... lobby.... hahahaha hahahaha

Best laugh I have had all year
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 30 Dec 2016, 10:35 am

Hehehe yeah
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 30 Dec 2016, 11:32 am

juststarting wrote:Maybe SSAA could lobby the government...

SSAA hard at work:

If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 30 Dec 2016, 11:43 am

you forgot behind the scenes man "behind the scenes"
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by superdave » 30 Dec 2016, 11:50 am

If OZ is anything like NZ, then a lot of firearm decisions are made by people who have only a superficial understanding of firearms.

I have suppressors on both my howas, and a 22 marlin. This has not made me any more dangerous and inclined to mass shooting than I was before I had them.

What it has done is made my howa 223 very pleasant and quiet to shoot, and done the same to my howa 7-08, as well as taming the recoil so that I don't break my cheek weld with every shot as happened before.

Contrast that with my AR15 which has no suppressor and a muzzle brake that redirects sound out both sides and sounds like a mad bastards cannon

Simple truth: suppressors are good for the ears and nerves of the shooter and everybody around him/her.
superdave
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Post by Title_II » 30 Dec 2016, 4:11 pm

You don't have to "jump through hoops" in America. You just have to fill out a 1 page form and send them $200. There are no licenses or anything, It's certainly easier than buying guns in Australia, even though it does kinda suck and costs money.

As for "why," in America you would have to go back to 1934 to figure out why. The law is pretty dumb. We've been working to get rid of it with respect to silencers and might have a shot at it. As for "why" in OZ I have no idea. Probably the same stupid reason or lack thereof.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 03 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

superdave wrote:If OZ is anything like NZ, then a lot of firearm decisions are made by people who have only a superficial understanding of firearms.

I have suppressors on both my howas, and a 22 marlin. This has not made me any more dangerous and inclined to mass shooting than I was before I had them.

What it has done is made my howa 223 very pleasant and quiet to shoot, and done the same to my howa 7-08, as well as taming the recoil so that I don't break my cheek weld with every shot as happened before.

Contrast that with my AR15 which has no suppressor and a muzzle brake that redirects sound out both sides and sounds like a mad bastards cannon

Simple truth: suppressors are good for the ears and nerves of the shooter and everybody around him/her.

Decision makers aside, you guys have it a fair bit bitter in terms of what you're allowed there in NZ.

As for suppressors, I would love one for my 7mm. I can maybe see us getting them in the distance future but I'm not holding my breath.

If they did become available I'd have one in a heart beat.

(Strangely?) I'm more interested in protecting my ears and having a pleasant time than becoming a Hollywood movie style assassin too.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Western Australia gun laws