Few questions regarding a new qld a and b licence

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Few questions regarding a new qld a and b licence

Post by Substance » 05 Jan 2017, 2:41 pm

Hi everyone.
Ive recently put in for a new A+B QLD licence and had a few questions.

I had to disclose i had a dvo against me in feb 2011 due to a manipulative ex gf who took it out on me because she didnt want me seeing my child. Never any voilence or threats made against her she was simply being a bitch. Myself beinf 24 at the time didnt bother fighting it so it passed and expired as per normal.

Also have had some traffic issues.. low level speeding fines here and there lost my licence once and have used 13 demerit points in the past 5 years. Never drink or do drugs only speeding offences.

The dvo was nearly 6 years ago.. and the traffic history is kind of minor.

Does anyone know if this will effect my ability to hold a licence.

I applied on 22nd december and was asked already to go and do my identity check which was done on the 28th dec.
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Few questions regarding a new qld a and b licence

Post by BBJ » 06 Jan 2017, 9:06 am

Normal traffic issues have nothing to do with it. I've had tickets, there are plenty of other posts on here with people griping about getting done for it to show a couple of speeding tickets won't prevent us getting a FA license :lol:

Not knowing any real details about the DVO I couldn't say. That'll be between you and the police.

It won't automatically bar you from a license though. Depends on the circumstances and time that has passed.

Only thing you can do is apply and see. They may come back to you asking for further explanation or more details.

Be constructive in your explanation that she made false accusations though (I'd leave out the word 'bitch' :lol:)

Good luck.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Substance » 06 Jan 2017, 9:13 am

It was taken out because when we split, i kept texting and calling to try and work out exactly what went wrong and it seemed to infuriate her further so that is what she based it on (which is a valid reason in the eyes of the law).
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 06 Jan 2017, 9:41 am

A fit and proper person

Generally a person is not fit and proper if in the last 5 years:

they have been convicted of (or discharged from custody on sentence) an offence involving:
the misuse of drugs
the use or threatened use of violence
the use, carriage, discharge or possession of a weapon
a domestic violence order, other than a temporary protection order, has been made against them.
you may be ok its only 5 in Queensland
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Substance » 06 Jan 2017, 10:06 am

I have read that as as far as the rules state I should be fine. I have done nothing in the past 5 years that would disqualify me.

Im probably just worrying about nothing but paying $200 for a licence and doing the necessary training for nothing will be annoying if they choose im not fit and proper since there isn't really a way to define that.

Thank you for the input :)
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 06 Jan 2017, 12:57 pm

You may get asked for a letter outlining why you deem yourself to be a fit and proper person due to the order.
I had to write a detailed reasoning due to having a neg driving occasioning gbh explaining my viability.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Substance » 06 Jan 2017, 1:18 pm

Cryptic wrote:You may get asked for a letter outlining why you deem yourself to be a fit and proper person due to the order.
I had to write a detailed reasoning due to having a neg driving occasioning gbh explaining my viability.

Once you completed the letter you were then good to go?
If they ask me that ill be happy to outline the details. Since there was never and threats or anything it should be easy for me to explain why i had a dvo in the first place.
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 06 Jan 2017, 2:13 pm

Substance wrote:
Cryptic wrote:You may get asked for a letter outlining why you deem yourself to be a fit and proper person due to the order.

Once you completed the letter you were then good to go?
If they ask me that ill be happy to outline the details. Since there was never and threats or anything it should be easy for me to explain why i had a dvo in the first place.

Yeah I was good to go, got my eligibility letter and now have A/B/H mine was a car accident where passengers were injured a dvo they might be more selective on the circumstances.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Angel » 13 Jan 2017, 1:21 pm

If it's over 5 years you should be ok. But make sure you are upfront, because you don't want the Po Po saying 'Oi, why didn't you tel us this?".
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Jan 2017, 2:39 pm

I'd suggest that if you have been requested to do a ID check you are on the way for a Licence. The only hold up I can suggest is the Christmas - New Year Brake and or 28 day "cooing off" period. I'd suggest that you give FLB a polite ring just to confirm that the ID check form has been received.. Cheers
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Harts » 18 Jan 2017, 3:27 pm

Angel wrote:If it's over 5 years you should be ok. But make sure you are upfront, because you don't want the Po Po saying 'Oi, why didn't you tel us this?".

Yeah, if they catch you lying then the whole attitude changes, and they'll make it tough for you.

Gotta shoot straight with the. Sounds like non event though, as more than enough time has passed reading the thing.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Substance » 27 Jan 2017, 2:16 pm

So i got my approval email today.

So took a total of 5 weeks since applying.
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 27 Jan 2017, 2:20 pm

Substance wrote:So i got my approval email today.

So took a total of 5 weeks since applying.

congratulations mate.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 27 Jan 2017, 2:23 pm

that's great news, well done.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Substance » 27 Jan 2017, 4:06 pm

Thank you all
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws