Firearms Licence and Driving Offences.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Firearms Licence and Driving Offences.

Post by RoginaJack » 17 Jan 2017, 3:31 pm

Came across this post on "SPORTING SHOOTER" site.

A quick read of the Act mentions that the licencing office may take into all....etc note ALL, when considering if you are a fit and proper person etc, etc.

http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/la ... nce-in-qld
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Firearms Licence and Driving Offences.

Post by happyhunter » 17 Jan 2017, 4:00 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 20 Feb 2017, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by scotty87 » 17 Jan 2017, 5:04 pm

I had a low range DUI charge when I was a young bloke that didn't seem to have any effect on getting my cat A B licence in QLD. They would likely have to have another reason for not wanting to grant a licence if they resorted to using driving offences, IE the applicant is well known to the police to be a d**khead.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 17 Jan 2017, 9:44 pm

I'd say repeat DUI offenses make it pretty clear that a person may not be the most responsible when it comes to controlling potentially fatal devices.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by albat » 17 Jan 2017, 10:15 pm

There is evidence that people with bad driving records progress to more serious offences down the track and the police are well aware of this link
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Jan 2017, 12:08 am

As far as I am aware driving has no bearing but assault would be a concern
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 18 Jan 2017, 8:19 am

The odd speeding fine etc would not be an issue. Repeat offenders such as multiple DUI's, driving while suspended etc are demonstrating contempt for the law, something the licensing branch would not look favourably on. Owning a firearm means following rules, whether you agree with them or not. Repeat offenders are displaying obvious difficulties in adhering to rules.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 18 Jan 2017, 8:47 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 20 Feb 2017, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Jan 2017, 11:03 am

Some driving offences can result in a criminal conviction. DUI ( alcohol or drugs ) and culpable driving are a couple, I believe driving whilst disqualified may also be one. A criminal conviction is grounds to deny a firearms licence.
By the way, even a low range DUI conviction will be enough for the Canadian authorities to deny you entry into that country, a young nephew found that out the hard way.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by albat » 18 Jan 2017, 6:04 pm

happyhunter wrote:
albat wrote:There is evidence that people with bad driving records progress to more serious offences down the track and the police are well aware of this link

Never heard that before. Sounds very subjective and easily contestable.

The relationship between crime and road safety - Monash University google it is not subjective at all
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jan 2017, 7:23 pm

Acording to statistical analysis my wife should become a serial killer soon.

She has lost all of her points and is now driving around in some kind of good behavior deal.

Funny thing is, I've never met a bigger goodie two shoes. She's just siht at watching her speed.

Hopefully the decision makers in charge of deciding who keeps and who looses their FA licenses based on their on road behavior are being very selective and using it as a good excuse to get the idiots and not the unfortunate.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 18 Jan 2017, 7:52 pm

Speed kills!!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jan 2017, 8:23 pm

albat wrote:Speed kills!!

It's more the sudden stop that dose the damage. .. stopping kills.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 19 Jan 2017, 3:42 am

albat wrote:There is evidence that people with bad driving records progress to more serious offences down the track and the police are well aware of this link

Puhleeease.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by happyhunter » 19 Jan 2017, 5:58 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 20 Feb 2017, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Title_II » 19 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

You're going to ban cycles?

Image X 2
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Dunxy » 01 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm

HMM, when i was a wee lad i had a penchant for fast motorcycles and lost my licence 5 times in a few years.Also had plenty of unregistered tickets riding motor x bikes in the bush and riding whilst suspended at least twice, driving cars unlicensed and I did even have an AVO at one time.
Fast forward to the present day and they happily handed me a licence.Yup, Im older and wiser these days (1 low level speeding fine in last 10 years) so as long as you show you have grown up they don't see to concerned about things done in the exuberance of youth! So even if you WERE naughty once upon a time, they obviously don't hold it against you forever. I was concerned that they would knock it back but yesterday (5 weeks to the day i posted my application) my data card arrived so they obviously didn't even take extra time looking at my circumstances because i acted like a freaking retard in my late teens/early 20's!

So don't be turned of taking up shooting thinking you have no chance of getting a licence because of stupid things you did when you were younger.The fear of being knocked back is what stopped me from taking up the hobby much sooner as i have been interested in firearms since before i was old enough to attend school, had i known I was pretty safe to get approved i would have done it years ago.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

Dunxy wrote:I was concerned that they would knock it back but yesterday (5 weeks to the day i posted my application) my data card arrived so they obviously didn't even take extra time looking at my circumstances because i acted like a freaking retard in my late teens/early 20's!

Bah hahaha...
At least you can own up to it! :lol:

Congrats on getting your licence approved, by the way. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bullzeye » 01 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm

If you have a TERRIBLE driving history, it will most certainly impact your chances of getting a license.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 01 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

Gwion wrote:

Bah hahaha...
At least you can own up to it! :lol:

Congrats on getting your licence approved, by the way. :thumbsup:

Grateful to be alive to own up to it because I went way past the full retard stage,many never make it back!

Cheers,pretty stoked! Of to pay out the remainder of my first rifle ('56 model 1 Brno) and fill out the PTA tomorrow after paying fee and getting a photo. Hopefully without putting anything else on lay-by!

PS:Nice looking water in your profile pic,NZ?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 01 Aug 2017, 10:15 pm

Dunxy wrote:So don't be turned of taking up shooting thinking you have no chance of getting a licence because of stupid things you did when you were younger.The fear of being knocked back is what stopped me from taking up the hobby much sooner as i have been interested in firearms since before i was old enough to attend school, had i known I was pretty safe to get approved i would have done it years ago.

Look at it this way, they may well have knocked you back earlier, and that box ticked on your next application may have screwed things up. You never know.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 01 Aug 2017, 11:17 pm

I think recent violence related offences are their primary concern. That and domestic related offences. For obvious reasons.

That and particularly if any prior offence was aggravated via the use of a firearm (or any firearm offence for that matter). In that scenario, my guess is you're not gonna have an easy road to a license.

Pretty big difference between getting into a brawl at the pub 10 years ago and holding up a store with a gun...
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2017, 12:42 am

Dunxy wrote:

It's in Tassie, mate. Just up the road from me.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Dunxy » 02 Aug 2017, 5:53 pm

Gwion wrote:
Dunxy wrote:

It's in Tassie, mate. Just up the road from me.

Super jelly, looks very nice! Ive never made it across there yet, but i will one day! Love my Trout! I do all kinds of fishing apart from surf, but these days I mostly enjoy a nice,crystal clear and peaceful stream full of spooky wild browns over most types.Over fishing our bay here for stupid red carp(snapper),whiting and calamari.Being able to mix it up with some 4wheeling and hunting just adds to the attractiveness.

@ wombat
Id never thought of it that way,so they frown upon past refused applications? I did look at applying around 2000 and DFO pretty well shut me down,so probably a good thing i didn't!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 02 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

Dunxy wrote:@ wombat
Id never thought of it that way,so they frown upon past refused applications? I did look at applying around 2000 and DFO pretty well shut me down,so probably a good thing i didn't!

From memory one of the questions used to be "Have you ever had a Firearms license cancelled or applied for a license and been refused?"
I reckon they wouldn't ask if it had no bearing on the matter.
Nice choice on the Model 1 Brno, I wouldn't part with my Model 2 :thumbsup:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2017, 6:31 pm

Snapper fishing in Melb ain't that bad, not that i ever had a great deal of luck. There is some good urban fishing to be had in Melb as well. Everything from bream, mulloway, and gummies to sea run trout, macquarie perch, trout and murray cod. You can even catch a yellow belly, so i'm told. I used to have a ball pulling mud marlin out of creeks that ran through parkland with people stopping while walking their dogs and asking what the hell i was doing! :lol:

Since moving to Tas i have 1km of creek frontage that is full of brown trout, the Mersey River about 600m as the crow flies in the opposite direction and about 1000 lakes to explore about a 1/2 hour drive and then a walk in...
TO be honest, i miss the diversity that Victorian angling offers. Here it is just trout, trout & trout. The coast offers a bit more variety but nothing you can't get in Victoria as well.

Must be homesick 'cause i'm complaining about having a stream full of trout at the end of my driveway! :lol: :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 02 Aug 2017, 7:06 pm

Gwion wrote: Since moving to Tas i have 1km of creek frontage that is full of brown trout, the Mersey River about 600m as the crow flies in the opposite direction and about 1000 lakes to explore about a 1/2 hour drive and then a walk in...
TO be honest, i miss the diversity that Victorian angling offers. Here it is just trout, trout & trout. The coast offers a bit more variety but nothing you can't get in Victoria as well.

Must be homesick 'cause i'm complaining about having a stream full of trout at the end of my driveway! :lol: :problem:

Gee life sounds rough over there, how do you do it ?... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Dunxy » 02 Aug 2017, 7:11 pm

Wombat wrote:Nice choice on the Model 1 Brno, I wouldn't part with my Model 2 :thumbsup:

I got shafted on the Brno, the dealer sold it two weeks ago,even though i had a deposit on it.Made up some cock and bull story about a payment agreement (i said i could go and pay in full when i put deposit over phone, otherwise when permit comes 4 weeks or so ill come pay it out'AND in the odd evcent i do not get approved, my mate wanted the bloody thing so it was SOLD) that i didnt meet so they canceled it, no phone call, nothing! Obviously somebody offered them more. Im not going to name names unless i know its okay to do so.Needless to say i wont be shopping there , ever.Spent nearly 3k elsewhere that i would have spent there had they not screwed me and attacked my integrity.

I got a lithgow LA101 instead.Also dropped deposit on a Gamo Coyote PCP. Lithgow was my 2nd choice to a Brno anyway, ill hang out for a model 5 down the track.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

Gwion wrote: TO be honest, i miss the diversity that Victorian angling offers. Here it is just trout, trout & trout. The coast offers a bit more variety but nothing you can't get in Victoria as well.

Wow, that's funny... I lived in Launceston for 5 years and fished and dived heaps while I was down there. I desperately miss the quality of the salt water fishing that was available within a short drive from home. The salt water fishing in Tas is grossly under rated. The albacore and SBT fishing off the east coast is amazing. The fish are close enough into shore to catch out of trout boats at times. Caught kingfish, tailor, snapper, bream, flathead and wharhou along the Tamar estuary and the adjacent coast. Some of the biggest bream you'll see come out of the Derwent
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

Yes you can catch all those saltwater species in Tas but you can also catch the same and others in Victoria plus a huge array of fresh water species that you don't get in Tas.

Apart from remote highland lake mazes, there is nothing about Tassie fishing that you can't get as good or better elsewhere. It's good, just not as good as some would try to convince you.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws