Firearms Licence and Driving Offences.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Firearms Licence and Driving Offences.

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Aug 2017, 7:54 am

Gwion wrote:Yes you can catch all those saltwater species in Tas but you can also catch the same and others in Victoria plus a huge array of fresh water species that you don't get in Tas.

Apart from remote highland lake mazes, there is nothing about Tassie fishing that you can't get as good or better elsewhere. It's good, just not as good as some would try to convince you.

Apologies to the OP for the hijack, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. I live in SA, have fished at Coffs harbour, South West Rocks, Bermagui, Eden, Darwin, worked on Brampton Island for several months, did a live aboard trip in the Coral Sea back in 1994, and did a few trips as a deckie on a boat out of Bermagui before I decided it wasn't for me. In short, i've had some awesome fishing trips in some amazing places. I still rate the salt water fishing in Tasmania pretty highly. Partly because of the spectacular scenery along the coast. To me "fishing" is not entirely about the fish, if it was it would be called "catching" .......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 03 Aug 2017, 8:09 am

Fair enough. I've lived in Tassy for 5 years now and have fished it quite a bit. I have also fished spots along most of the east coast of Australia from western Vic to the Daintree. To me, as I have said, Tassy has nothing really to offer that you can't find as good or better elsewhere. This includes scenery. The exception might be the quality of tuna fishing and, as I said, wandering remote highland lakes, sight fishing for wild brown trout: that is pretty special and a real challenge that you get nowhere else in Australia!
To qualify these statements, this comes from 5 years of hearing "it's the best in the world" about everything in or about Tassy. Horse s**t, I say. It's nice but so are many other places.

Sorry to hijack as well but it was a thread risen from the dead anyway! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Dunxy » 25 Oct 2017, 3:15 pm

Had to necro this again as some relevant information came to me and belongs in here!
A mate applied for a/b license here in Vic a few weeks ago and got knocked back due to traffic offences, some reference about they showing "bad character".All low level speeding fines from fixed cameras and one "failing to update details"or some crap.He hadn't payed them the muppet!
He didn't try appeal or anything, apparently even if he paid them right now they said dont bother re-applying for at least 2 years.

Now don't get me wrong, hes silly for not dealing with them but a few low level speeding fines and one other tiny offence is hardly justifiable reason to deny a gun license IMHO.Maybe its just about the fact that he didnt attend to them rather than what they are,as i said ive had a few offences, lots when i was younger, but i always clear them.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

dui when your younger isn't a issue, drug offences for even pot probably would be. i had a dui offence two years ago, didn't effect my liscence application. mind you, i hadn't had a dui offence for 23 years before that
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Nov 2017, 7:28 am

this doesn't just effect QLD, it is the same in Vic, it is taught at the firearm safety courses and if you get an indictable offence you are in deep s**t
and an indictable offence does not mean you are going to jail it means you could go to jail for that charge
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 9:48 am

Its not as easy as saying he was knocked back for just traffic offences
You have to consider how often, time between the first offence and the last, how far over was he ,his attitude when pulled over ,how the offence came about
ie. not watching speedo or drag racing
In QLD a DVO alone can cost you a gun licence in most if not all cases
Someone that has lost all their points spaning over a long period is a far cry from someone who is always in the eye of the law bordering on being dangerous
has attitude ,shows no change up til recent offences, or how many offences over a set period
Offences done early in life but none in resent times like 5-10 -15 yrs shows you are becoming responsible
But if you can't show this then that will be shown and considered when you apply for a licence probably being a knock back
The whole licence thing is to show that you are a responsible person and if you can't show that then who's fault is that
You do get a chance to appeal and give your side and hopefully you can prove your worthy of a licence and I know of two who have done so
If you can't show that you are responsible then most definitely you won't get a gun licence some knock backs can be called into question so
that's why you have an appeal
If people can't slow down and be responsible in public risking lives then how can they be classed as responsible enough to have a gun licence (This is what
the weapons branch will ask )
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2017, 10:57 am

that's pretty well much spot-on grandadbushy. at least that's how i see it. applications are assessed on the applicants personal history, like DVO's, multiple DUI's. any of those in your history will cast doubt about being "fit and proper"
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Download » 11 Nov 2017, 1:50 pm

My dad here in SA got a dangerous driving charge for doing 145km/h on his motorbike in a 100km/h zone. He had no problems getting a handguns licence 5 or 6 years later.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Nov 2017, 8:51 pm

in queensland they only look at your recent five year history with regard to A&B applications i been told today. saw on ssaa facebook page cops are knocking back farmers pistol applications and asking farmers with unblemished pistol liscence history to hand their pistols in . apparently this is a discision taken by the police and is not due to political preasure . man i'm looking forward to our state election in a couple weeks, hanson and the independants all the way !
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Previous

Return to Queensland gun laws