Firearms Licence and Driving Offences.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Firearms Licence and Driving Offences.

Post by bullzeye » 01 Aug 2017, 5:17 pm

If you have a TERRIBLE driving history, it will most certainly impact your chances of getting a license.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 01 Aug 2017, 8:29 pm

Gwion wrote:

Bah hahaha...
At least you can own up to it! :lol:

Congrats on getting your licence approved, by the way. :thumbsup:

Grateful to be alive to own up to it because I went way past the full retard stage,many never make it back!

Cheers,pretty stoked! Of to pay out the remainder of my first rifle ('56 model 1 Brno) and fill out the PTA tomorrow after paying fee and getting a photo. Hopefully without putting anything else on lay-by!

PS:Nice looking water in your profile pic,NZ?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 01 Aug 2017, 10:15 pm

Dunxy wrote:So don't be turned of taking up shooting thinking you have no chance of getting a licence because of stupid things you did when you were younger.The fear of being knocked back is what stopped me from taking up the hobby much sooner as i have been interested in firearms since before i was old enough to attend school, had i known I was pretty safe to get approved i would have done it years ago.

Look at it this way, they may well have knocked you back earlier, and that box ticked on your next application may have screwed things up. You never know.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 01 Aug 2017, 11:17 pm

I think recent violence related offences are their primary concern. That and domestic related offences. For obvious reasons.

That and particularly if any prior offence was aggravated via the use of a firearm (or any firearm offence for that matter). In that scenario, my guess is you're not gonna have an easy road to a license.

Pretty big difference between getting into a brawl at the pub 10 years ago and holding up a store with a gun...
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2017, 12:42 am

Dunxy wrote:

It's in Tassie, mate. Just up the road from me.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Dunxy » 02 Aug 2017, 5:53 pm

Gwion wrote:
Dunxy wrote:

It's in Tassie, mate. Just up the road from me.

Super jelly, looks very nice! Ive never made it across there yet, but i will one day! Love my Trout! I do all kinds of fishing apart from surf, but these days I mostly enjoy a nice,crystal clear and peaceful stream full of spooky wild browns over most types.Over fishing our bay here for stupid red carp(snapper),whiting and calamari.Being able to mix it up with some 4wheeling and hunting just adds to the attractiveness.

@ wombat
Id never thought of it that way,so they frown upon past refused applications? I did look at applying around 2000 and DFO pretty well shut me down,so probably a good thing i didn't!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 02 Aug 2017, 6:26 pm

Dunxy wrote:@ wombat
Id never thought of it that way,so they frown upon past refused applications? I did look at applying around 2000 and DFO pretty well shut me down,so probably a good thing i didn't!

From memory one of the questions used to be "Have you ever had a Firearms license cancelled or applied for a license and been refused?"
I reckon they wouldn't ask if it had no bearing on the matter.
Nice choice on the Model 1 Brno, I wouldn't part with my Model 2 :thumbsup:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2017, 6:31 pm

Snapper fishing in Melb ain't that bad, not that i ever had a great deal of luck. There is some good urban fishing to be had in Melb as well. Everything from bream, mulloway, and gummies to sea run trout, macquarie perch, trout and murray cod. You can even catch a yellow belly, so i'm told. I used to have a ball pulling mud marlin out of creeks that ran through parkland with people stopping while walking their dogs and asking what the hell i was doing! :lol:

Since moving to Tas i have 1km of creek frontage that is full of brown trout, the Mersey River about 600m as the crow flies in the opposite direction and about 1000 lakes to explore about a 1/2 hour drive and then a walk in...
TO be honest, i miss the diversity that Victorian angling offers. Here it is just trout, trout & trout. The coast offers a bit more variety but nothing you can't get in Victoria as well.

Must be homesick 'cause i'm complaining about having a stream full of trout at the end of my driveway! :lol: :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 02 Aug 2017, 7:06 pm

Gwion wrote: Since moving to Tas i have 1km of creek frontage that is full of brown trout, the Mersey River about 600m as the crow flies in the opposite direction and about 1000 lakes to explore about a 1/2 hour drive and then a walk in...
TO be honest, i miss the diversity that Victorian angling offers. Here it is just trout, trout & trout. The coast offers a bit more variety but nothing you can't get in Victoria as well.

Must be homesick 'cause i'm complaining about having a stream full of trout at the end of my driveway! :lol: :problem:

Gee life sounds rough over there, how do you do it ?... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Dunxy » 02 Aug 2017, 7:11 pm

Wombat wrote:Nice choice on the Model 1 Brno, I wouldn't part with my Model 2 :thumbsup:

I got shafted on the Brno, the dealer sold it two weeks ago,even though i had a deposit on it.Made up some cock and bull story about a payment agreement (i said i could go and pay in full when i put deposit over phone, otherwise when permit comes 4 weeks or so ill come pay it out'AND in the odd evcent i do not get approved, my mate wanted the bloody thing so it was SOLD) that i didnt meet so they canceled it, no phone call, nothing! Obviously somebody offered them more. Im not going to name names unless i know its okay to do so.Needless to say i wont be shopping there , ever.Spent nearly 3k elsewhere that i would have spent there had they not screwed me and attacked my integrity.

I got a lithgow LA101 instead.Also dropped deposit on a Gamo Coyote PCP. Lithgow was my 2nd choice to a Brno anyway, ill hang out for a model 5 down the track.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

Gwion wrote: TO be honest, i miss the diversity that Victorian angling offers. Here it is just trout, trout & trout. The coast offers a bit more variety but nothing you can't get in Victoria as well.

Wow, that's funny... I lived in Launceston for 5 years and fished and dived heaps while I was down there. I desperately miss the quality of the salt water fishing that was available within a short drive from home. The salt water fishing in Tas is grossly under rated. The albacore and SBT fishing off the east coast is amazing. The fish are close enough into shore to catch out of trout boats at times. Caught kingfish, tailor, snapper, bream, flathead and wharhou along the Tamar estuary and the adjacent coast. Some of the biggest bream you'll see come out of the Derwent
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 02 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

Yes you can catch all those saltwater species in Tas but you can also catch the same and others in Victoria plus a huge array of fresh water species that you don't get in Tas.

Apart from remote highland lake mazes, there is nothing about Tassie fishing that you can't get as good or better elsewhere. It's good, just not as good as some would try to convince you.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Aug 2017, 7:54 am

Gwion wrote:Yes you can catch all those saltwater species in Tas but you can also catch the same and others in Victoria plus a huge array of fresh water species that you don't get in Tas.

Apart from remote highland lake mazes, there is nothing about Tassie fishing that you can't get as good or better elsewhere. It's good, just not as good as some would try to convince you.

Apologies to the OP for the hijack, but I'll have to respectfully disagree. I live in SA, have fished at Coffs harbour, South West Rocks, Bermagui, Eden, Darwin, worked on Brampton Island for several months, did a live aboard trip in the Coral Sea back in 1994, and did a few trips as a deckie on a boat out of Bermagui before I decided it wasn't for me. In short, i've had some awesome fishing trips in some amazing places. I still rate the salt water fishing in Tasmania pretty highly. Partly because of the spectacular scenery along the coast. To me "fishing" is not entirely about the fish, if it was it would be called "catching" .......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 03 Aug 2017, 8:09 am

Fair enough. I've lived in Tassy for 5 years now and have fished it quite a bit. I have also fished spots along most of the east coast of Australia from western Vic to the Daintree. To me, as I have said, Tassy has nothing really to offer that you can't find as good or better elsewhere. This includes scenery. The exception might be the quality of tuna fishing and, as I said, wandering remote highland lakes, sight fishing for wild brown trout: that is pretty special and a real challenge that you get nowhere else in Australia!
To qualify these statements, this comes from 5 years of hearing "it's the best in the world" about everything in or about Tassy. Horse s**t, I say. It's nice but so are many other places.

Sorry to hijack as well but it was a thread risen from the dead anyway! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Dunxy » 25 Oct 2017, 3:15 pm

Had to necro this again as some relevant information came to me and belongs in here!
A mate applied for a/b license here in Vic a few weeks ago and got knocked back due to traffic offences, some reference about they showing "bad character".All low level speeding fines from fixed cameras and one "failing to update details"or some crap.He hadn't payed them the muppet!
He didn't try appeal or anything, apparently even if he paid them right now they said dont bother re-applying for at least 2 years.

Now don't get me wrong, hes silly for not dealing with them but a few low level speeding fines and one other tiny offence is hardly justifiable reason to deny a gun license IMHO.Maybe its just about the fact that he didnt attend to them rather than what they are,as i said ive had a few offences, lots when i was younger, but i always clear them.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 09 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

dui when your younger isn't a issue, drug offences for even pot probably would be. i had a dui offence two years ago, didn't effect my liscence application. mind you, i hadn't had a dui offence for 23 years before that
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 10 Nov 2017, 7:28 am

this doesn't just effect QLD, it is the same in Vic, it is taught at the firearm safety courses and if you get an indictable offence you are in deep s**t
and an indictable offence does not mean you are going to jail it means you could go to jail for that charge
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Nov 2017, 9:48 am

Its not as easy as saying he was knocked back for just traffic offences
You have to consider how often, time between the first offence and the last, how far over was he ,his attitude when pulled over ,how the offence came about
ie. not watching speedo or drag racing
In QLD a DVO alone can cost you a gun licence in most if not all cases
Someone that has lost all their points spaning over a long period is a far cry from someone who is always in the eye of the law bordering on being dangerous
has attitude ,shows no change up til recent offences, or how many offences over a set period
Offences done early in life but none in resent times like 5-10 -15 yrs shows you are becoming responsible
But if you can't show this then that will be shown and considered when you apply for a licence probably being a knock back
The whole licence thing is to show that you are a responsible person and if you can't show that then who's fault is that
You do get a chance to appeal and give your side and hopefully you can prove your worthy of a licence and I know of two who have done so
If you can't show that you are responsible then most definitely you won't get a gun licence some knock backs can be called into question so
that's why you have an appeal
If people can't slow down and be responsible in public risking lives then how can they be classed as responsible enough to have a gun licence (This is what
the weapons branch will ask )
Member-Deleted

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2017, 10:57 am

that's pretty well much spot-on grandadbushy. at least that's how i see it. applications are assessed on the applicants personal history, like DVO's, multiple DUI's. any of those in your history will cast doubt about being "fit and proper"
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Download » 11 Nov 2017, 1:50 pm

My dad here in SA got a dangerous driving charge for doing 145km/h on his motorbike in a 100km/h zone. He had no problems getting a handguns licence 5 or 6 years later.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Nov 2017, 8:51 pm

in queensland they only look at your recent five year history with regard to A&B applications i been told today. saw on ssaa facebook page cops are knocking back farmers pistol applications and asking farmers with unblemished pistol liscence history to hand their pistols in . apparently this is a discision taken by the police and is not due to political preasure . man i'm looking forward to our state election in a couple weeks, hanson and the independants all the way !
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws