Are BB guns legal in Australia?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Are BB guns legal in Australia?

Post by lowb » 19 Jan 2017, 1:01 pm

I remember you use to buy these like toys years ago, but haven't seen any for basically ever.

Is it just because it's not very politically correct to sell "guns" these days or are they actually illegal now?
lowb
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Are BB guns legal in Australia?

Post by Heckler303 » 19 Jan 2017, 1:25 pm

If it's classified as an air rifle that can use BBs as well as standard pellets, then under a cat A license they are obtainable.

However, toys such as airsoft guns are not legal due to them representing real firearms and firing *sigh* 'similar ammunition to air powered firearms'. And have no genuine reason according to the austfailure government.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 19 Jan 2017, 1:45 pm

Gadzooks.

The working up loads, precision shooting, and hunting is cool (except for guys in bathrobes shooting kitty cats and eating them) but this nonsense is depressing and never ending. Friggen BB guns. And airsoft. I hope I'm not poking you mates in the eye, this is just really starting to P me off. I'll try not to dwell on it or drag it up but sometimes it's "all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!" - Popeye
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2017, 1:49 pm

Title_II wrote:Gadzooks.

The working up loads, precision shooting, and hunting is cool (except for guys in bathrobes shooting kitty cats and eating them) but this nonsense is depressing and never ending. Friggen BB guns. And airsoft. I hope I'm not poking you mates in the eye, this is just really starting to P me off. I'll try not to dwell on it or drag it up but sometimes it's "all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!" - Popeye

Only two states, WA and Qld, still allow us to own non-firing replica firearms, or even toys that look too much like a real firearm. Not any specific firearm, just whether they could reasonably be perceived as a real firearm by the dumbest person in the world.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gazza » 19 Jan 2017, 1:55 pm

They used to sell them at the Brickworks Market in Adelaide. You don't need a license but they still have to be registered. My mate has one and my son loves it.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Heckler303 » 19 Jan 2017, 2:38 pm

True that mate, enjoy your freedom while you still have it over in the US of A.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Download » 19 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm

gazza wrote:They used to sell them at the Brickworks Market in Adelaide. You don't need a license but they still have to be registered. My mate has one and my son loves it.

You need a licence. You may want to inform your friend he's breaking the law.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 20 Jan 2017, 8:42 am

Heckler303 wrote:

True that mate, enjoy your freedom while you still have it over in the US of A.

I can't predict the future long term, but recent decades and the foreseeable future in the US have overwhelmingly exhibited increasing gun rights, government respect of those rights, and indications of more to come.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by BBJ » 23 Jan 2017, 9:27 am

Download wrote:You need a licence. You may want to inform your friend he's breaking the law.

He never said his friend didn't have a license ;)
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

BBJ wrote:
Download wrote:You need a licence. You may want to inform your friend he's breaking the law.

He never said his friend didn't have a license ;)

He did say that you don't need a licence though ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws