Firearms Safety Course

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Firearms Safety Course

Post by FlyingStick » 22 Jan 2017, 11:54 am

Hi All,

New to the forum (and to firearms also, somewhat) and have a few questions.

I'm actually an avid target archer and have always loved target sports. Furthermore - I tag along to the families duck hunting trips every year and it's finally time to join in and buy something that goes boom.

I've already lodged my form for attending a safety course at my local DFO, however I have some concerns with timing.

Our duck trip is in mid March. I'm aware of all the associated waiting periods (I plan on applying for a permit to acquire in parallel with my license application). I've already joined the local clay shooting club to sort out my genuine reason. I've also already narrowed down to 2-3 which shotgun I'd like to buy (shot a few at the clay club with experienced shooters ensuring good fit etc. Looking at the Miroku MK10 or MK70). With this in mid, I believe me meeting Mid March is completely dependent on how soon I can finish the safety course.

So. Is there anything I can do to try and get this course done in the next 2-3 weeks? Can I call around to other DFOs or is this something they don't tolerate? I was told to try? If it helps, I'm in the northern suburbs, VIC.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by FlyingStick on 24 Jan 2017, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Firearms Safety Course

Post by FlyingStick » 23 Jan 2017, 7:51 am

Also. Just to add. My Game permit (deer and duck) is already sorted.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 8:28 am

FlyingStick wrote:Hi All,

New to the forum (and to firearms also, somewhat) and have a few questions.

I'm actually an avid target archer and have always loved target sports. Furthermore - I tag along to the families duck hunting trips every year and it's finally time to join in and buy something that goes boom.

I've already lodged my form for attending a safety course at my local DFO, however I have some concerns with timing.

Our duck trip is in mid March. I'm aware of all the associated waiting periods (I plan on applying for a permit to acquire in parallel with my license application). I've already joined the local clay shooting club to sort out my genuine reason. I've also already narrowed down to 2-3 which shotgun I'd like to buy (shot a few at the clay club with experienced shooters ensuring good fit etc. Looking at the Miroku MK10 or MK70). With this in mid, I believe me meeting Mid March is completely dependent on how soon I can finish the safety course.

So. Is there anything I can do to try and get this course done in the next 2-3 weeks? Can I call around to other DFOs or is this something they don't tolerate? I was told to try Ballarat as they run them frequently? If it helps, I'm in the northern suburbs, VIC.

Thanks in advance!

Although duck season isn't until March 18, I think you're going to be cutting it very close indeed if you haven't done the safety course already. You have six and a half weeks, and licence approval is a minimum of four and probably at least five weeks after you apply. Some states require you to pay to do the safety course through private companies - you could try asking in NSW if you could sit the course up there this week and whether it would be accepted in Victoria.
http://www.firearmtraining.com.au/html/10about_train.htm

I can't comment of the DFO thing, but you don't need to join any clubs for genuine reason in Victoria. Just get an "Expression of Interest in Hunting Pest Animals on Crown Land" from GMA for $14 or so.
http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/pest-animals

And you don't need to have a PtA in just to shoot. The day you receive your licence you can use anybody else's firearms of the correct category, you just can't own them without the PtA approval.

Basically, you need to get your application in ASAP, so get the safety course sorted right away.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 Jan 2017, 8:29 am

Unless the local DFO was full of crap, I believe you have to sit your course in the district you live. My mate, whom I assisted getting his license, tried calling around different DFO's trying to find an earlier opening. He was informed that as he doesn't reside in the district he can't take the test there. I think it's just dependent on where you live. Some places like Williamstown cop shop are generally booked out months in advance. Other districts it's only a week or two. Many have tried to speed up the process. Not many successfuly. Let us know if you find a workaround.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 8:38 am

Supaduke wrote:Unless the local DFO was full of crap, I believe you have to sit your course in the district you live. My mate, whom I assisted getting his license, tried calling around different DFO's trying to find an earlier opening. He was informed that as he doesn't reside in the district he can't take the test there. I think it's just dependent on where you live. Some places like Williamstown cop shop are generally booked out months in advance. Other districts it's only a week or two. Many have tried to speed up the process. Not many successfuly. Let us know if you find a workaround.

I just noticed this:
"It is preferable that you attend a safety course in your local area."
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34440

And I'm sure I've heard of people having sat the course in other states having that recognised upon moving to Victoria. Whether you can sit the course in a state you don't reside in I can't say though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 8:41 am

I'm curious myself so I've emailed that NSW mob about it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 9:38 am

bladeracer wrote:I'm curious myself so I've emailed that NSW mob about it.

Not an option.

"I wish I could accommodate you but you will need to do the Vic course to get a Vic firearms licence.
Regards
Gary D Bryant
General Manager
Firearm Safety & Training Council Ltd"
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 23 Jan 2017, 9:46 am

I'm going to have to ring around to see if someone can squeeze me in.

Other question. Once my license is approved. I need to get to a registered photo point to get my photo done and card printed. Is there anywhere they print the cards on the spot? Can I shoot without the card in my hands?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 Jan 2017, 11:05 am

Go to VicRoads to pay it. They will take your photo. Once payment has been made (at bank etc ) and your payment receipt is stamped and signed it can be used as an interim licence (in conjunction with photo id).
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 23 Jan 2017, 11:10 am

Supaduke wrote:Go to VicRoads to pay it. They will take your photo. Once payment has been made (at bank etc ) and your payment receipt is stamped and signed it can be used as an interim licence (in conjunction with photo id).

Exactly what I needed to know. I've managed to find a course in the next 2 weeks :)

Wish me luck!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 Jan 2017, 11:18 am

FlyingStick wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Go to VicRoads to pay it. They will take your photo. Once payment has been made (at bank etc ) and your payment receipt is stamped and signed it can be used as an interim licence (in conjunction with photo id).

Exactly what I needed to know. I've managed to find a course in the next 2 weeks :)

Wish me luck!

I made a slight mix up of words there. You have to pay the fee at the bank etc first. (Westpac used to be free , not sure if there is still no fee). Then go to VicRoads to complete the process.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 23 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

Supaduke wrote:
FlyingStick wrote:

Wish me luck!

I made a slight mix up of words there. You have to pay the fee at the bank etc first. (Westpac used to be free , not sure if there is still no fee). Then go to VicRoads to complete the process.

All good.

Just in addition. I've just been told another way that I could speed the process up. Apparently I can send my application in without my safety course completion certificate which will mean they kick off the application and then halt it as I haven't sent the cert.

I can then do the course in the meantime and send the cert once I'm done. At this point they pick it back up and finish it off (all supposedly within the 28 say period).

Thoughts? Has anyone done this?
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jan 2017, 11:30 am

FlyingStick wrote:Exactly what I needed to know. I've managed to find a course in the next 2 weeks :)

Wish me luck!

Outstanding!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 23 Jan 2017, 12:35 pm

FlyingStick wrote:
Supaduke wrote:
FlyingStick wrote:

Wish me luck!

All good.

Just in addition. I've just been told another way that I could speed the process up. Apparently I can send my application in without my safety course completion certificate which will mean they kick off the application and then halt it as I haven't sent the cert.

I can then do the course in the meantime and send the cert once I'm done. At this point they pick it back up and finish it off (all supposedly within the 28 say period).

I would hazard a guess and not recommend that. Having seperate bits of your application floating around rather than stapled together is just asking for a bureaucratic stuff up. And as a prerequisite for the license they probably won't process it till they have all required documents.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 23 Jan 2017, 12:46 pm

To report back. I gave the firearms licensing office a call. Apparently this is fine. They simply send a letter back to attach a course completion note but the 28 days commences at the point they receive the application. I think I might just take the chance and give it a shot? She seemed sure of the situation and didn't hesitate on her response. I also got this recommended to me by a DFO.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cflake » 24 Jan 2017, 8:03 am

FlyingStick wrote:Just in addition. I've just been told another way that I could speed the process up. Apparently I can send my application in without my safety course completion certificate which will mean they kick off the application and then halt it as I haven't sent the cert.

This is genius! (if it works). The law states that it's 28 days from initial application and that it MUST be sent via mail. Followups/corrections however can be sent via email, quoting the application number. Can't see why it wouldn't work, unless someone wants to apply the spirit of the law rather than the letter (but is quite happy applying the letter of the law when it suits them).

The other part of you plan though.. I believe it used to be that you could get your stamps and it could be used as an interim license, but there's a statement on the top stating that "This is not an interim license" or words to the effect. One of the Melbourne gun shops told me the cops recently told them not to sell guns to people with the payment notice.

Also, check out page 3 of this notice (Dec 2016): http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=122792&status=active

Having said that, I seemed to be able to get away with buying ammo (not at the same gun shop) with just a payment notice.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 24 Jan 2017, 8:51 am

Well. I'll let you know. I think even with my course in 2 weeks it is unlikely I will meet duck open - so it's worth a shot I reckon. The lady over the phone sounded very confident of the process and seemed like it's commonplace, as did the DFO.

If this all works, I don't think the plastic will be a problem.
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Itshurting » 24 Jan 2017, 11:07 am

My first booking for Firearm Safety Course was cancelled due to instructor being sick,and rebooked for 4 weeks later.Total wait time from initial booking to course and exam =9 weeks.Then minimum 28 days for license approval.
Just saying,might be tight.
Good luck
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drink driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars".

Remington
Henry
Mossberg
Krico
Cashmore
Pardus
Itshurting
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 26 Jan 2017, 7:19 am

We are in the exact same boat mate even looking at the same shotgun, I read that you are supposed to do the safety course in your designated division, however on the phone to Williamstown police station they said they can be lenient, I'm going for my safety course on the 1st of feb on a Wednesday night with my dad, however it is in Werribee, but I'm sure you could call Williamstown and see if they have a vacancy that way you can get your certificate ASAP
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 30 Jan 2017, 5:34 am

Thanks Bushie - I had tried Williamstown who got me into a course however had another DFO get me in sooner. There was no mention of the course this week so I assume its full?

Anyhow. No word yet on my application. I had express posted it Monday afternoon last week - so fingers crossed I hear something soon!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by FlyingStick » 09 Feb 2017, 8:31 pm

Just an update.

Completed my safety course this Tuesday. Passed wih flying colours and emailed my cert through that same night. Spoke to the licensing department the next afternoon and my cert had already met my application and was awaiting processing. I've been able to confirm with the department on numerous occasions that my cooling off commenced the day my original application (without safety course cert) was received, 25/01.

So. Fingers crossed, I get the bill to pay in the next 2-3 weeks (which, once paid, I have confirmed is enough to pickup my firearms and shoot!).

I'll report back when i know more!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 10 Feb 2017, 3:06 pm

I was told that the process from sending of for your license to acquiring your first firearm takes about 6 weeks..

Sending off forms
28 days processing
they send back saying its approved or denied
you go take a photo at VicRoads and pay for it at Westpac
and then they send your license w/ your PTA if everything went well
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 10 Feb 2017, 7:52 pm

As difficult as it is, just need to be patient. A maintained firearm will last long after you are dead and buried. You will have plenty of time to enjoy your guns.
After a while you won't remember the time before guns.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 10 Feb 2017, 8:13 pm

Supaduke wrote:After a while you won't remember the time before guns.

I am beginning to forget lol
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 10 Feb 2017, 10:27 pm

After a while you won't remember the time before guns.

Well said
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 7:03 am

Does anyone ever fail the test? Can't say I've seen it happen or even heard of it happening :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by FlyingStick » 13 Feb 2017, 8:03 am

bigfellascott wrote:Does anyone ever fail the test? Can't say I've seen it happen or even heard of it happening :D

If anyone has in fact failed that test I'd be glad they did!
FlyingStick
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 10:08 am

FlyingStick wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Does anyone ever fail the test? Can't say I've seen it happen or even heard of it happening :D

If anyone has in fact failed that test I'd be glad they did!

Is it even possible? :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wylie27 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:34 am

One person failed the practical part of my long rifle course..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 10:45 am

Wylie27 wrote:One person failed the practical part of my long rifle course..

Must have been badly retarded I take it? :D What did they fail one the prac or theory or both?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws