Sharing or lending rifle to a licensed friend

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Sharing or lending rifle to a licensed friend

Post by tucked » 24 Jan 2017, 8:43 pm

Just wanting to check,

99% sure it's ok to lend a rifle to a mate for a while as long as they have the same license category, yeah?

Not a change of regular storage address, but if they want to borrow for a week or two to get a feel before buying one of their own.

All good I think?
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Sharing or lending rifle to a licensed friend

Post by Gwion » 24 Jan 2017, 8:57 pm

All good in Tas. Can't speak for other states. Give your mate a note to say it's ok to cover you both.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by deye243 » 24 Jan 2017, 9:23 pm

check with the dfo in your state all good in vic
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Jan 2017, 9:41 pm

Perfectly legal in NSW and I've lent firearms to friends before and there's no drama. Just make sure you make a note of their firearms license number, categories and expiry date so you can't be done for supplying firearms to a unlicensed person. It's your responsibility to ensure they are licensed, don't assume or take their word for it.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:04 am

I won't loan anyone anything firearm related anymore after my mate sold my press for drugs. If they want to use firearms they can bloody well go buy their own I say!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 9:12 am

tucked wrote:Just wanting to check,

99% sure it's ok to lend a rifle to a mate for a while as long as they have the same license category, yeah?

Not a change of regular storage address, but if they want to borrow for a week or two to get a feel before buying one of their own.

All good I think?

I think only WA doesn't allow lending of firearms.
One problem with NSW though is he won't be able to buy ammunition for it unless he has one of his own in the same caliber?
I think he's allowed to possess the ammo though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 25 Jan 2017, 9:15 am

I don't think it's fine by default. If you and a mate have a Cat B for example, mate can borrow your Car B firearm as long as they have at least one firearms or to be more specific - had their first PTA and the waiting period associated with that. As far as I understand. If they don't have a firearm in that category, I would double check...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 9:20 am

juststarting wrote:I don't think it's fine by default. If you and a mate have a Cat B for example, mate can borrow your Car B firearm as long as they have at least one firearms or to be more specific - had their first PTA and the waiting period associated with that. As far as I understand. If they don't have a firearm in that category, I would double check...

I wasn't aware of any requirement to actually own a firearm to be a licenced shooter.
My understanding is that if you are licenced then you can shoot and use firearms of those categories. You only need PtA's to take ownership.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:21 am

bladeracer wrote:
tucked wrote:Just wanting to check,

All good I think?

I think only WA doesn't allow lending of firearms.
One problem with NSW though is he won't be able to buy ammunition for it unless he has one of his own in the same caliber?
I think he's allowed to possess the ammo though.

How would the gun shop know?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:22 am

bladeracer wrote:
juststarting wrote:I don't think it's fine by default. If you and a mate have a Cat B for example, mate can borrow your Car B firearm as long as they have at least one firearms or to be more specific - had their first PTA and the waiting period associated with that. As far as I understand. If they don't have a firearm in that category, I would double check...

I wasn't aware of any requirement to actually own a firearm to be a licenced shooter.
My understanding is that if you are licenced then you can shoot and use firearms of those categories. You only need PtA's to take ownership.

+1 if you are licensed for that category all good, you don't actually need to own a firearm to be able to use one, you need to be licensed to use them.

My kids have permits to use firearms, they don't own any in their names as such (they do have their own rifles but they are registered under my license.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 25 Jan 2017, 9:27 am

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=34328
Borrowing and loaning firearms

If you hold a Victorian firearm licence, you can borrow a Victorian or interstate firearm from a friend/relative provided:

you have their permission to do so
your Victorian licence allows you to carry and use that category and type of firearm.
If you hold a Victorian firearm licence, you can borrow the firearm of a Victorian or interstate licensed firearm dealer provided:

your licence is more than 28 days old
you already have at least one firearm registered to you
you have their permission to do so, and
your Victorian licence allows you to possess, carry and use that category and type of firearm.

28 days old... That's what I meant. Equivalent to waiting period for a PTA. And the "at least one firearm registered to you".
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by halberg » 25 Jan 2017, 9:32 am

To steer this back on topic, OP is writing from NSW.... Laws in other states mean nothing for his question :thumbsup:
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by halberg » 25 Jan 2017, 9:33 am

brett1868 wrote:Just make sure you make a note of their firearms license number, categories and expiry date so you can't be done for supplying firearms to a unlicensed person. It's your responsibility to ensure they are licensed, don't assume or take their word for it.

Yep, definitely sight the license before hand.

Better yet take a copy and date it.

Just because they've had a license doesn't mean they have a license on the day.

Cover yourself :thumbsup:
Savage Mark II FVT .22LR
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25-06 Remington
Sako L691 6.5x55 SE
halberg
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:33 am

juststarting wrote:http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=34328

If you hold a Victorian firearm licence, you can borrow a Victorian or interstate firearm from a friend/relative provided:

your Victorian licence allows you to carry and use that category and type of firearm.
If you hold a Victorian firearm licence, you can borrow the firearm of a Victorian or interstate licensed firearm dealer provided:

your Victorian licence allows you to possess, carry and use that category and type of firearm.

28 days old... That's what I meant. Equivalent to waiting period for a PTA. And the "at least one firearm registered to you".

Why didn't you just say so then? :D :sarcasm:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 9:33 am

bigfellascott wrote:How would the gun shop know?

I don't live in a state that only allows you to buy ammo for firearms you own so I don't know how that system works.
Do you mean that dealers just ignore the requirement?

NSW: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/firearms_and_ammunition/frequently_asked_questions#fire8
"What requirements must be met to acquire ammunition?
Sections 65 & 45A of the Firearms Act 1996 prescribe that ammunition for a firearm may only be supplied to a person who produces at the time of the sale:

Identification showing the name and address of the purchaser, and
A current firearms licence or permit for a firearm that takes the type of ammunition being purchased, or
A permit authorising the person to purchase the ammunition.
If the ammunition being purchased is for a pistol, in addition to the above the buyer must produce the following at the time of sale:

The registration certificate for the firearm taking that type of ammunition, or
An issued permit to acquire for a firearm which takes that ammunition."

Although maybe it only applies to pistol ammo?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 9:35 am

Good stuff.
That throws a spanner in the works then. You can't borrow a firearm if you don't own one yourself?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:38 am

bladeracer wrote:

I don't live in a state that only allows you to buy ammo for firearms you own so I don't know how that system works.

NSW: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/firearms_and_ammunition/frequently_asked_questions#fire8
Sections 65 & 45A of the Firearms Act 1996 prescribe that ammunition for a firearm may only be supplied to a person who produces at the time of the sale:

A current firearms licence or permit for a firearm that takes the type of ammunition being purchased, or
If the ammunition being purchased is for a pistol, in addition to the above the buyer must produce the following at the time of sale:

A current firearms licence OR
never been asked to prove I own a particular cal when purchasing ammo - don't own any cap guns so can't comment on how that all works. :drinks:

Take not of that underlined bit! :thumbsup: When you purchase ammo in NSW you show your license, it's recorded in the ammo purchase book (can't remember if we sign the book or not now - been a while) I don't think so but can't remember 100% anyway your license, name and address are recorded - as for cap gun ammo not sure, might ask my mate if I remember. :drinks:
Last edited by bigfellascott on 25 Jan 2017, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Jan 2017, 9:38 am

Perfectly legal in NSW. Just have to have valid licence for the category of firearm. Can be loaned for up to two weeks, if longer than that you are supposed to notify registry of change of storage location.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 9:40 am

bladeracer wrote:

Good stuff.
That throws a spanner in the works then. You can't borrow a firearm if you don't own one yourself?

Actually, I went to the link.
It appears that those extra conditions are only for borrowing from a dealer.

Borrowing a firearm from a friend only requires the first conditions:
"If you hold a Victorian firearm licence, you can borrow a Victorian or interstate firearm from a friend/relative provided:
your Victorian licence allows you to carry and use that category and type of firearm."
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 9:45 am

bladeracer wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Good stuff.

Actually, I went to the link.
It appears that those extra conditions are only for borrowing from a dealer.

Borrowing a firearm from a friend only requires the first conditions:
"If you hold a Victorian firearm licence, you can borrow a Victorian or interstate firearm from a friend/relative provided:
your Victorian licence allows you to carry and use that category and type of firearm."

I was going to say your comprehension needs some work but you finally figured it out :D :sarcasm:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 25 Jan 2017, 9:54 am

I borrowed my Sportco 22lr for at least 1 month when i first got my licence. No PTA approved. In fact, i had a safe inspection during that time because the PTA for my first rifle was in place.

PS:edit: Obviously i ended up buying the Sporti off my mate (or at least my wife did, as it's officially her rifle).
Last edited by Gwion on 25 Jan 2017, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2017, 9:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:I was going to say your comprehension needs some work but you finally figured it out :D :sarcasm:

Not me, I just accepted the poorly pasted info.
Going to the site and reading it properly formatted made it obvious to me, although not to Juststarting who posted it.
It went against what I believed which is why I queried it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 25 Jan 2017, 10:16 am

Whomever said it's state to state is correct. What I've posted is valid for Victoria. NSW, shooter must be licensed for the firearm they want to borrow, nothing else, according to NSW Police firearms guide handbook.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 25 Jan 2017, 10:19 am

Ha! No, I've missed that part too. My apologies. Disregard everything I said lol
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 25 Jan 2017, 11:23 am

bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

A current firearms licence OR
never been asked to prove I own a particular cal when purchasing ammo - don't own any cap guns so can't comment on how that all works. :drinks:

Take not of that underlined bit! :thumbsup: When you purchase ammo in NSW you show your license, it's recorded in the ammo purchase book (can't remember if we sign the book or not now - been a while) I don't think so but can't remember 100% anyway your license, name and address are recorded - as for cap gun ammo not sure, might ask my mate if I remember. :drinks:

This point has been debated at length in other threads long ago. In NSW you can buy any rifle specific ammunition you like providing your license category covers it. Cat A for rimfire / shotshell and cat B for pretty much anything else with the exception of Cat H specific cartridges. I only need to show my Cat A/B license and do not need to show any registration papers for regular Cat A or B ammunition. However if I'm seeking to purchase a pistol specific cartridge such as 9mm then I can be asked to produce the original registration paper showing that I have a pistol in my name chambered in 9mm. Where it gets fuzzy is when there's cartridges that are cross category such as 22LR, 17HMR, 38Spl, 357Mag, 44Mag to name a few off the top of my head.
All ammunition sales in NSW must be recorded in accordance with section 65 of the firearms act 1996 irrespective of category.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2017, 1:25 pm

juststarting wrote:Whomever said it's state to state is correct. What I've posted is valid for Victoria. NSW, shooter must be licensed for the firearm they want to borrow, nothing else, according to NSW Police firearms guide handbook.

For the Category not the firearm as such. :thumbsup: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to New South Wales gun laws