Permit To Acquire Confusion

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Permit To Acquire Confusion

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 02 Feb 2017, 12:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:So,
All they do is check that you have a licence (ie. hasnt been cancelled), check there's no red mark against your entry (AVO, any other sanctions)... then whammy, the 'system' shows a valid permit in your name that the dealer will 'see'...THAT WOULD TAKE SECONDS!!

ie. with today's tech and the interconnected everything - a WAITING PERIOD is a REDUNDANT CONCEPT.... at least according to the NFA that the grabtards insist should not at ANY cost be deviated from or watered down... apart from the Assault Adler of course...

That's how it works in Victoria.
Fastest I've had was five-minutes - it pays to buy first thing Monday morning :-)

I should have added, they also check your other firearms.... make sure you don't have 'too many' of similar chamberings.... which is NOT part of the NFA requirement..... but a lot of the law isn't....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by happyhunter » 02 Feb 2017, 7:33 pm

Bushie wrote:Silly silly left wings, when you send of for your PTA do they send back a physical permit that I can walk into a shop with and walk out with a gun?

Yep and Nup, cos you have to pay the fee first. If the PTA is done on paper they send the actual permit back by mail and you have to go to a Westpac Bank and pay the 9 bucks or whatever it costs now, the bank teller stamps the permit and then you take the permit to the gun shop and pick up your gun.

Don't worry about the bank. The tellers will know exactly what the permit is for and what to do. They process heaps them :)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by JakeN » 03 Feb 2017, 7:33 pm

Yes you do get a piece of paper. You need to take it to Westpac and pay to recieve the stamp on it making it valid.
You can BPay it but you might not be able to actually use it until a few days have passed so as the computer shows paid and valid at the dealer.

I got some on a Friday and paid at the bank.
Saturday I went to gun shop. Computer showed not paid yet. However as I had paid at the bank it had the stamp so was able to complete the purchase and take possession then.
Otherwise "computer says no"
JakeN
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 06 Feb 2017, 6:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Bushie wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Bushie, you're referring to 'yourself', I take it you know you, as a junior can not own a firearm, therefore can not apply for a PTA right?
Your old man will need to apply for any PTA...and he can send in with HIS licence application...

Yes that was what I meant to say sorry, while I have your guys attention as well with the process of sending of for all of it to be cleared and confirmed, do we send off money with our forms or do we pay afterwards, like how does that go down, couldn't find anywhere on Vic Police about how that works either.

I don't recall paying anything up front.
The licence was approved so I went and paid that.
Then when into the shop for the rifle and paid the PtA there.

I do recall you claiming to be a long time shooter.. pre the nanny act?? Contradiction noted ;)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 06 Feb 2017, 7:42 pm

happyhunter wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Bushie wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:Bushie, you're referring to 'yourself', I take it you know you, as a junior can not own a firearm, therefore can not apply for a PTA right?
Your old man will need to apply for any PTA...and he can send in with HIS licence application...

Yes that was what I meant to say sorry, while I have your guys attention as well with the process of sending of for all of it to be cleared and confirmed, do we send off money with our forms or do we pay afterwards, like how does that go down, couldn't find anywhere on Vic Police about how that works either.

I do recall you claiming to be a long time shooter.. pre the nanny act?? Contradiction noted ;)

nah, he/she is fully legit, even without ever seeing an actual PTA....

I've never seen an actual PtA

onya old(or perhaps young) Blades of glory

:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2017, 7:54 pm

happyhunter wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Bushie wrote:

So all you have to add to this thread is a personal attack aimed at me?
Was there something you wanted to ask about my history?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2017, 7:55 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
happyhunter wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Bushie wrote:

nah, he/she is fully legit, even without ever seeing an actual PTA....

I've never seen an actual PtA

onya old(or perhaps young) Blades of glory

:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm guessing you also are a fanboy of HH...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bushie » 06 Feb 2017, 10:41 pm

HH and Gen like what do you even gain by having a dig a blade, after this thread I spoke o a few dealers and they said 8 times out 10 they sort out the PTA and the buyers don't even bother with the paperwork, so don't fire shots and bladeracer?
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 06 Feb 2017, 10:56 pm

Bushie wrote:HH and Gen like what do you even gain by having a dig a blade, after this thread I spoke o a few dealers and they said 8 times out 10 they sort out the PTA and the buyers don't even bother with the paperwork, so don't fire shots and bladeracer?

Ignore them. HH seems to have taken a dislike to me as soon as I joined the forum for reasons of his own. His problem, not mine.

Nearest I've ever been to any sort of "permit" to buy any firearm was buying a 9mm handgun in 1990 - had to get a letter from the pistol club, and I had to wait for seven days I think before I could pick it up.
Other than that single instance, I've never required any paperwork to buy any firearm other than a firearms licence.
Even my first firearm when I got my Victorian licence in 2014 I never saw any PtA, and I picked up my .204 the same day I received my licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Feb 2017, 7:52 am

No personal attack Blades of glory, having some fun, don't be precious... :thumbsup:

Your questionable postings don't help.... there have been permits for all longarms since 96, even if you came from elsewhere as far as I'm aware, certainly in VIC up to today, though there is the option to have the dealer do it electronically for probably about 3 or 4 years??, probably many most/all dealer are now hooked up to the system...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 07 Feb 2017, 2:38 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:No personal attack Blades of glory, having some fun, don't be precious... :thumbsup:

Your questionable postings don't help.... there have been permits for all longarms since 96, even if you came from elsewhere as far as I'm aware, certainly in VIC up to today, though there is the option to have the dealer do it electronically for probably about 3 or 4 years??, probably many most/all dealer are now hooked up to the system...

My postings may be questionable to somebody that has limited experience perhaps. Anybody that has moved around our country or been involved with firearms for more than two decades would be quite aware that none of our states have the same laws on anything, and that the laws change often.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 08 Feb 2017, 3:34 am

Permit To Acquire Confusion

I have a question. Once you get the permit, where do you go to acquire the confusion?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 08 Feb 2017, 6:08 am

I didn't need a permit , my confusion came pre-installed.

I don't mind this system. The new electronic system is handy. I remember the old way when you had to go to the gunshop, choose your gun, get its details , then go to the cop shop , get a permit to purchase ( not sure why they changed the name), then back to the gunshop to pick it up. Then back to the cop shop to register it. Was a fair bit of back and forth.

Could be done in an hour or so if the cop shop wasn't to far away. To me the whole permit thing seems redundant and just a way for the government to squeeze a few more dollars out of you. Does create employment though I guess. You're welcome firearms registry, glad I can help employ a few more bureaucrats....cough
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws