What's the minimum requirement for H Lic. NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

What's the minimum requirement for H Lic. NSW

Post by scaredyet » 29 Jan 2017, 5:14 pm

I have been doing a bit of research on the topic and it's a bit confusing what needs to be done.

I currently have an A/B license and want to get a H pistol license.

I live in Sydney.

As I understand I have to become a member of a pistol club, then I have to do an initial pistol safe handling training course. I have to wait 6 months on probation and shoot three times in that period then apply for a PTA.

Some clubs say in order to join the club I have to shoot 3 times then I can join. one club says there's a 12 course to complete on top of the initial safe handling course.

What is the minimum requirement in NSW and the quickest and easiest way to get my H license

Kind Regards
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: What's the minimum requirement for H Lic. NSW

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jan 2017, 7:27 pm

scaredyet wrote:I have been doing a bit of research on the topic and it's a bit confusing what needs to be done.

I currently have an A/B license and want to get a H pistol license.

I live in Sydney.

As I understand I have to become a member of a pistol club, then I have to do an initial pistol safe handling training course. I have to wait 6 months on probation and shoot three times in that period then apply for a PTA.

Some clubs say in order to join the club I have to shoot 3 times then I can join. one club says there's a 12 course to complete on top of the initial safe handling course.

What is the minimum requirement in NSW and the quickest and easiest way to get my H license

Kind Regards

http://www.stmarysindoorshootingcentre.com.au/obtaining-a-pistol-license.php

"Obtaining a Pistol License

Pistol shooting is a safe, fun and unique sport that is open to anyone 12 years and over. St Marys Pistol Club conduct regular safe handling courses for handguns which are required before you can obtain a Category H licence.
To get started there are six steps you must follow.
Step 1:
Join an approved pistol club such as the SSAA St. Mary’s Pistol Club and book into the pistol safe handling course. Our course is offered exclusively to members of St Mary's Pistol Club and involves both classroom and live fire exercises. It is an exciting hands on introduction to the sport.
Step 2:
Contact the NSW Police Firearms Registry on 1300.362.562 and ask them to send you out a target pistol licence application. They will send the following: a P561 personal details form and a P660 target form. MINORS - Persons aged between 12 and 18 years of age should ask for a minors target pistol permit application.
Step 3:
Complete the pistol safe handling course. On successful completion of the course you will be given the necessary paperwork to complete your licence application. The course is run over a weekend – from 9.30am to approximately 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday at the St. Mary’s Indoor Shooting Centre.
Step 4:
Complete 3 Novice shoots. These are Club calendar events and are run one on one with our Range Safety Officers. A Novice is a member who has completed the safe handling course but has not yet been issued with a Probationary Pistol Licence.
Step 5:
Complete 3 Trainee shoots. These are Club calendar events and are run under the guidance of our Range Safety Officers. A Trainee is a member who has completed 3 Novice shoots and has been issued with a Probationary Pistol Licence.
Step 6:
Once you have completed steps 4 and 5, and have held a Probationary Pistol Licence for a minimum of 6 months, you’re eligible to attend Graduation which marks the completion of your training period.
For more information about applying for your Category H Licence speak with the friendly staff at St Marys Pistol Club"
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 29 Jan 2017, 9:55 pm

Just to add to the above, once you graduate you are permitted to purchase 2 pistols of the same category. The retarded part of this requirement is you cannot have a rimfire and a centre fire so its either 2 centre fires or 2 rimfire, stupid cause ideally you'd want one of each. Take the PTA's with you at graduation so you can get them signed off on the day then wait the usual 28 day minimum for them to come back. Wylie27, ItsMe and myself are all members of the St Mary's club so feel free to get in touch if you decide to join there :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 29 Jan 2017, 10:16 pm

brett1868 wrote:Just to add to the above, once you graduate you are permitted to purchase 2 pistols of the same category. The retarded part of this requirement is you cannot have a rimfire and a centre fire so its either 2 centre fires or 2 rimfire, stupid cause ideally you'd want one of each. Take the PTA's with you at graduation so you can get them signed off on the day then wait the usual 28 day minimum for them to come back. Wylie27, ItsMe and myself are all members of the St Mary's club so feel free to get in touch if you decide to join there :)

Have they closed the loop hole on that yet where you can buy a centerfire and get a rimfire slide just for practice of course.
I went to the barricade shoot today 3 people turned up I shoot there too . pomemax AKA Ian
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 29 Jan 2017, 11:02 pm

I had a look at St Mary's

This is what Auburn says ;

How long does it take to get a pistol license?
After joining the club and completing the initial Pistol Safe Handling training, your application for a Probationary Pistol Licence (PPL) will take about 6 to 8 weeks. You will then need to complete the the Shooting Academy Club 12 week pistol training program while under close supervision of Range Officers and the remainder of the first 6 months of your PPL under general supervision. A PPL is valid for 12 months after which time a Category H (Pistol Target Shooting) licence can be applied for.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 29 Jan 2017, 11:36 pm

thats about the same as st marys but in the first 6-8 weeks witch is normaly about 10-12 till you get your PPL st marys get you to do 3 shoots under close supervision first 3 months and not make you wait then the next is under general supervision till you do the next 3 months then you can put in PTAS
Ian
best thing you can look at is the timetable of matches see when you can attend
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 30 Jan 2017, 8:43 am

I am closer to Auburn so I'll go in and have a chat to them
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 09 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

I went to Auburn tonight to speak to them about getting a license, boy what a head f@#k it was.

I have to wait till 1 March to join the club then wait 6-8 weeks off the bat
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Feb 2017, 8:31 pm

Give st marys a call .. but they maybe the same... pistol shooting is booming and clubs cant keep up.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 11 Feb 2017, 9:57 am

It's not about keeping up but according to the old bloke I was talking to he said it will take 14 months to get a gun
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 11 Feb 2017, 10:02 am

That's crap.. 8 months at most, once you have completed your novice and trainer shoots while do your 6 months then you can buy two pistols.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2017, 2:39 pm

scaredyet wrote:It's not about keeping up but according to the old bloke I was talking to he said it will take 14 months to get a gun

"Olde time" months were equivalent to our modern "fortnight" so he's pretty close ;-)
Did he mention how many shillings it would cost you?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 11 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

Lol, the oldtimer paid in pigs..

Go to St Marys. Ditch Auburn, once you have your licence there is a different match on every night of the week at St Mary's.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 12 Feb 2017, 3:33 pm

I'll give St Mary's a go what currency do they use
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 12 Feb 2017, 6:44 pm

Following for NSW only;

8 to 9 months from starting your training to having your own pistol in your hand is pretty typical.

Some clubs have member inductions only every couple of months.

After initial training the club issues a 'Safe Handling Completion Certificate' and you need to send this off with your Probationary Pistol License application.Expect 6 weeks before the letter to go to the RMS turns up.

Before you get your PPL you are shooting on a P650 (like a stat dec that says you are not a crim or nutter) and the club must supervise you one on one. Once you get your PPL a Range Officer can supervise line of shooters.

FAR requires 3 shoots and issue of a Completion Certificate from the club within 6 months.
Your club can require more shoots and more training before issuing the certificate and many do.

My example;
Started training 6 Feb
Application for PPL sent 18 Feb
PPL received 2 April
Club required 2 more coaching seminars, 4 air pistol shoots and 3 rimfire shoots
Completion certificate sent to FAR 17 June
PTA application sent to FAR 17 Nov
(I could have sent this earlier, say 2 Oct - note that you cannot send it before the 6 months are up
and FAR will send it back with no action if you do)
PTA received 19 Dec

PS note that from the issue of my PPL until my full cat H license was approx 14 months not the supposed 12 stated and this was typical for other new shooters.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scaredyet » 17 Feb 2017, 7:36 am

^ is that correct Auburn by any chance?
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales