Ammo storage in Vic. I didn't know that.

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Ammo storage in Vic. I didn't know that.

Post by Jamster » 31 Jan 2017, 10:30 pm

Check this out?

Storage of Ammunition in Vic:

The ammunition must be stored in a receptacle:
- which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
- which, if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty, must be fixed to the frame of the
floor or the wall of the premises where the ammunition is kept in such a manner that it is not easily removable; and which, when any ammunition is stored in it, is locked with a lock made of sturdy construction.

http://www.protactical.com.au/storage/p ... 3062#page4

My understanding was that ammo could be stored in a secured container which wasn't necessarily bolted to the floor or wall for example.

Can somebody clarify plz? For example, can I store ammo at home in one of those plastic ammo boxes with a padlock on it?
Jamster
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ammo storage in Vic. I didn't know that.

Post by brett1868 » 31 Jan 2017, 11:09 pm

Seems clear enough that ammo has the same safe keeping requirements as firearms which seems fair, after all it's reasonably dangerous in the wrong hands. I personally don't agree with the lower NSW standards and would like to see ammo storage toughened up a bit. I can legally store 200 rounds of 50BMG in something akin to a Tupperware box with a padlock that anyone could walk off with which is both a financial and security risk. To counter this I have a dedicated safe to store the locked 50Cal MTM ammo boxes in so there's 2 layers of security and I sleep better knowing it's well secured.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2017, 11:44 pm

Jamster wrote:Check this out?

- which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
- which, if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty, must be fixed to the frame of the
floor or the wall of the premises where the ammunition is kept in such a manner that it is not easily removable; and which, when any ammunition is stored in it, is locked with a lock made of sturdy construction.

My understanding was that ammo could be stored in a secured container which wasn't necessarily bolted to the floor or wall for example.

Can somebody clarify plz? For example, can I store ammo at home in one of those plastic ammo boxes with a padlock on it?

No idea where they get their information from but that's news to the Victoria Firearms Act.
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=81634

"SCHEDULE 4
STORAGE REQUIREMENTS
1 Longarm licences for category A and B longarms
(1) The firearm must be stored in a receptacle—
(a) which is constructed of hard wood or steel that is not easily penetrable; and
(b) which, if it weighs less than 150 kilograms when it is empty, must be fixed to the frame of the floor or the wall of the premises where the firearm is kept in such a manner that it is not easily removable; and
(c) which, when any firearm is stored in it, is locked with a lock of sturdy construction.
(2) If more than 15 firearms are stored on the premises where the firearm is stored, the premises must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
(a) the installation, maintenance and operation of which complies with Australian Standard 2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time); and
(b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates an audible alarm warning device and an external visible alarm warning light.
(3) Any cartridge ammunition for the firearm must be stored in a locked container separate from the receptacle in which the firearm must be stored.
(4) Subject to section 121, a firearm that is possessed, carried or used by a holder of a handgun security guard licence who is employed as a security guard must be stored by the person who employs the holder of the licence as a security guard at"
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 Jan 2017, 11:52 pm

Jamster wrote:My understanding was that ammo could be stored in a secured container which wasn't necessarily bolted to the floor or wall for example.

As far as I'm aware, this is correct. It merely has to be locked in a container. Nothing about "not easily penetrable" like it requires for safes.

However, at home I would suggest something much more secure than that for your own protection. Always keep in mind your responsibility to ensure your ammo doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

I bought two steel wall cabinets from Bunnings for $45 a piece and store my ammo in those attached to the wall.
I use my old pistol safe for shotgun ammo because it takes up so much bloody room.
It's cheap protection for several thousand dollars worth of ammo.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 01 Feb 2017, 6:39 am

Jamster wrote:Check this out?

Looks like there confused with firearm storage and ammo storage.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2017, 6:46 pm

brett1868 wrote:Seems clear enough that ammo has the same safe keeping requirements as firearms which seems fair, after all it's reasonably dangerous in the wrong hands. I personally don't agree with the lower NSW standards and would like to see ammo storage toughened up a bit. I can legally store 200 rounds of 50BMG in something akin to a Tupperware box with a padlock that anyone could walk off with which is both a financial and security risk. To counter this I have a dedicated safe to store the locked 50Cal MTM ammo boxes in so there's 2 layers of security and I sleep better knowing it's well secured.

Your kidding yourself if you think it's safe from crims - they only have to hold a gun to ya head and it's theirs along with all the firearms you have.

Nice in theory but flawed in reality (happened to a fella in the Blue Mountains from memory) got his handguns and whatever else they felt they needed.

But it gives the public a warm fuzzy feeling and makes the law makers look like they are in control and keeping people safe, sad fact is no one is really safe if someone wants something from you they will get it 99% of the time. :drinks:

Anyone could follow you from the Midura range Brett and rob you if they so chose to do so - only just takes someone wanting to do so and what can you honestly do about it if they pull a gun or knife on you?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Feb 2017, 8:34 pm

"Looks like there confused with firearm storage and ammo storage."

Yep, very confused. A case of too much copy and paste. And not enough thought.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jamster » 03 Feb 2017, 11:27 pm

Thanks for clearing up fella's.
Jamster
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by AusC » 10 Feb 2017, 10:18 am

Oldbloke wrote:"Looks like there confused with firearm storage and ammo storage."

Yep, very confused. A case of too much copy and paste. And not enough thought.

I was going to say... Looks like they've done a hasty copy and paste to make a bit of click bait for their site.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 10 Feb 2017, 10:34 am

Your kidding yourself if you think it's safe from crims - they only have to hold a gun to ya head and it's theirs along with all the firearms you have.

Nice in theory but flawed in reality (happened to a fella in the Blue Mountains from memory) got his handguns and whatever else they felt they needed.

But it gives the public a warm fuzzy feeling and makes the law makers look like they are in control and keeping people safe, sad fact is no one is really safe if someone wants something from you they will get it 99% of the time.

Anyone could follow you from the Midura range Brett and rob you if they so chose to do so - only just takes someone wanting to do so and what can you honestly do about it if they pull a gun or knife on you?

Very true, if someone wants it bad enough then no amount of caution will prevent it. I know I probably can't stop them, my main goal is to slow them down long enough for my neighbor to send Spud the Rhodesian Ridgeback on a seek and destroy mission. Any movement in the "Controlled" area alerts me within 2-3 seconds via SMS / MMS / Email & Alert so from alert to Spud attack can be under a minute. There's also a risk that I might sleep with a 44 Magnum under the pillow and lets not forget the Russian Princess cause she's got no fear and a vicious right hook :) I also have offsite storage so what's at home can be something or nothing.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 10 Feb 2017, 12:46 pm

Take all the precautions you can.....

Like start with removing the GEOCODING OFF YOUR PICS!

;) :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Return to Victorian gun laws