Transporting a rifle on a motorcycle

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Transporting a rifle on a motorcycle

Post by jeramy » 07 Feb 2017, 7:50 pm

hi all im hoping some one can help. i have a friend here in NSW who is going to get his gun license soon and wonts to know if he can cary a rifle on his motorcycle as its his main mode of transport.
jeramy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Transporting a rifle on a motorcycle

Post by pete1 » 07 Feb 2017, 8:42 pm

If it was on your back no, as you will be carrying a firearm in a public place (public roads)
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 07 Feb 2017, 11:18 pm

Could ask Westy on here as he said on this post below his mate had to get a written letter of approval in QLD maybe ask what the letter entails if it will be similar.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2813

Also this about Vic and NSW possibly getting written letter.
http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/gun-law/can-i-legally-carry-a-firearm-on-my-motorbike
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by jeramy » 07 Feb 2017, 11:41 pm

thanks for the reply pete1 i thougt carrying on a motorcycle might be a problem.
jeramy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Feb 2017, 3:58 am

I used to do it all the time, though not for a year or so now. If you carry a rifle or shotty it must be in a bag, preferably one that is indistinct as to the contents. Be prepared to be pulled over, (being polite goes without saying) and remember you are licenced to carry (in the meaning of transporting an unloaded firearm). THIS IS ONLY IN VICTORIA!!! Check your own States regulations by contacting your Firearms people, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2017, 4:24 am

I used to do it until about 15 years ago. But was in a locked wooden box not a gun case. Talk to the local cop.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 08 Feb 2017, 3:25 pm

I asked this question specifically of NSW FAR in 2009 and was told "if it's in a bag or case and looks like a gun in a case the answer is no!" they were quite clear though couldn't give me any reference or specific legislation.

the fact is if you can take a rifle on a buss or train and you can walk down the street with it I don;t see why you couldn't transport it on a bike

I was traveling a fair bit at the time with a rifle so I started to buid a motorcycle trailer specifically to transport a rifle and my camping gear but got a new car and didn't need to use the bike anymore

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2017, 3:47 pm

all these laws are designed to hide it all from the public so when the see a firearm it is a surprise so then you have alarmed the public

and viola you are in the s**t .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Feb 2017, 3:56 pm

In NSW there is very little (read none) legislation regarding the transport of firearms.

The FAR sheet only talks about cat H and CAT C/D transportation.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass ... h_2012.pdf

It talks about being temporarily inoperable bolt removed/trigger lock OR a locked container that is secured to OR within the vehicle.

Please note the or, if you meet one of those conditions Jen you have met your leglislative requirements for cat c/d/h..

So going by that if you have a locked container on a motor bike you are good to go..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2017, 5:00 pm

Like chronos said if it's in a gun bag I would say no go. It's just too obvious. And it's all about security. But a box like I used might still be OK.

But yeh, what happens when you get out the car in the CBD to take it in a gun bag to a gun shop?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jeramy » 08 Feb 2017, 5:10 pm

thanks everyone i will talk to my mate and advise him to talk to the firearms registry.
jeramy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigM » 08 Feb 2017, 5:42 pm

Unfortunately FAR will say no without any supporting reference to the act/regulations.

Note that if the firearm is on your person (in a backpack or over your shoulder) then the law is vague.
The NSW Police in their FAQ sheets say it must not be recognizable as a firearm when transported but I am unable to find any reference to support this. However, it is probably a good idea for it not to be recognizable in order to not attract attention (from both sides of the fence).

Tying the same backpack to the bike makes this method of transport illegal.
If it is attached to the motorcycle then it needs to be in a locked box attached to the vehicle. This is fairly clear.

On your person and in/on the vehicle are 2 legally different methods of transport.
Last edited by bigM on 08 Feb 2017, 5:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Are you ready?"
bigM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Feb 2017, 5:47 pm

BigM,

That's for cat c d and h only.

The commissioner has said if you transport your a/b firearms like a restricted category then you are fine.

So in theory a gun bag is fine as long as the rifle is render temporarily inoperable... eg no bolt or trigger lock. The OR's are the key in their fact sheet.

You are quite correct The FAR won't tell you this.. in many cases they don't know what the law says.

However for my own piece of mind I use trigger locks and a locked container.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 08 Feb 2017, 5:51 pm

I should also state I don't have the money to defend myself in court lol.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Feb 2017, 7:10 am

Perhaps in a gun bag with a picture of a hockey stick on it ?

Stupid rules !

So many porly written laws, rules and regulations that are about as clear as mud and open to interpretation.

I'd say provided that you have a lawful reason to be carrying your firearm then there is no reason that you couldn't have one over your shoulder in plain view. ie on my way to the range. On my way to hunt rabbits.

The police would LIKE it to be hidden because they CBF doing all the paperwork when loads of folks call in the sighting.

Just because someone is frightened doesn't mean that you're automatically in the poo, there needs to "intent to frighten or intimate" before it becomes an offence.
Yes I have inadvertently frightened someone in the past and been visited by the police after a security guard called them to report that someone was shooting at him ..... zero consequence, collect $10 and roll the dice again . :thumbsup:

Simply heading up te road to shoot some rabbits is not "intent to frighten or intimate".

Consider this ... Johnny owns a firearm for hunting but johnny can't afford a car because his Sako TRG M10 cost him $15.000 but johnny has a bicycle.
A :Johnny is not allowed to go hunting because the only way you can legally carry a firearm is in a motor car ?
B: Johnny just dose what he wants because he doesn't consider himself part of the new world order any more.
C: Johnny is a legend because he owns a Sako TRG M10
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Manimal » 10 Feb 2017, 9:02 am

Wylie27 wrote:I should also state I don't have the money to defend myself in court lol.

Cheapest way is to not end up there in the first place :thumbsup:
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws