Where can my gun be kept?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Where can my gun be kept?

Post by JJD » 09 Feb 2017, 6:51 am

Hey, new member here.
I'm in the process of getting my firearms license in Victoria. To keep my partner happy, I'm trying to find an alternative place to store my guns, as she absolutely does not want them in our house :thumbsdown: .
I would like to store them at my parents house. My parents are not licensed, but the guns would be in a secuared gun safe and I would be the only one with access. I've done research on the vic police website and other forums, but can't seem to find an answer.
Does anyone do this or know if it's legal?
Thanks!
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Where can my gun be kept?

Post by pete1 » 09 Feb 2017, 1:50 pm

I don't think they need a licence to have them stored on there property they just cant have access to them from memory. Just gotta let police know where there kept and comply with safe requirements etc. Can always call your district firearms officer or send him a email to clarify.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Feb 2017, 2:18 pm

You... my friend.....need to have a 'sit down' with the partner.
If you want to have a future that involves guns.... AND her (him?).... then you gotta make some choices. Having to go 'find' your guns at another location when you want to shoot, clean or just fondle(some do) your guns... would be very annoying very quickly.... If you want to regain the manliness (again assuming you're a bloke)... then you must de-emasculate yourself and put your guns where you want, in your own space.

As far as where can the safe go; anywhere you want, as long as it's only accessible to YOU and those who are licensed for all the categories in there and with your consent...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by juststarting » 09 Feb 2017, 2:37 pm

Pretty much what old man Genesis said. I was in your situation not so long ago... We agreed on one gun (lol, get a big safe! Trust me), we talked about storage and safety. She was uncomfortable because of kids. But once I explained storage and safety requirements, this is where your negotiation and articulation skills come into play, she agreed on condition that the rifle will go if she's still uncomfortable in few months. In no time she was naming my rifles! Communication is the key. Talk often and be practical to make it normal. Address all concerns in detailed manner. If this is a hurdle, it's not going to work. Cleaning, maintenance and yes, fondling will all become an issue. Then if you want to try your hand at reloading, which you probably you won't be able to do that. And what about times you want to go shooting or hunting? If that's your partner's attitude now, it will be the same with actual participation...
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Feb 2017, 2:42 pm

Have to agree with Genesis on this one. Couples can have different point of views on many things in life and get on with a relationship. Polarized opinions on firearms is one that doesn't work. Have seen more than a few fella's burned badly by this one. Suggest you really have it out with her as to why she is so opposed and see if it can be resolved.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 09 Feb 2017, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 09 Feb 2017, 2:46 pm

The question should be where to store your partner.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Feb 2017, 2:46 pm

Ouch!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 09 Feb 2017, 4:03 pm

My buddy has 40 acres and a backhoe :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 09 Feb 2017, 4:32 pm

Methinks this is going off the rails. ;)
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 09 Feb 2017, 4:44 pm

Just a tad.....
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Feb 2017, 4:45 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:You... my friend.....need to have a 'sit down' with the partner.
If you want to have a future that involves guns.... AND her (him?).... then you gotta make some choices. Having to go 'find' your guns at another location when you want to shoot, clean or just fondle(some do) your guns... would be very annoying very quickly.... If you want to regain the manliness (again assuming you're a bloke)... then you must de-emasculate yourself and put your guns where you want, in your own space.

As far as where can the safe go; anywhere you want, as long as it's only accessible to YOU and those who are licensed for all the categories in there and with your consent...

Agree with above. Be nice & talk to her, calmly. (perhaps easier said than done) And address her concerns. Women often feel insecure or threatened, It goes with the beast.
Can't live with em, can't live without em. :? sigh
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JJD » 09 Feb 2017, 4:49 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated.
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 09 Feb 2017, 5:35 pm

So... I've been thinking about the guns issue (as he cradles spade.. or perhaps... it's a shovel)

Darl, you know how I feel about the weapons...

Theyre Not WEAPONS... my online friends told me their FIREARMS... cause weapons are either intended to be used or indeed used to injure another person in either a defensive or offensive manner...

OK.... Firearms...I would NEVER want to you to BURY them....

OH.............its not for the guns....

[[flurry of activity, bags packed, straight our front door, door swings on its hinges, you know, like in them westens'....]]

PROBLEMO... Solved.

Youre welcome.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gun-nut » 09 Feb 2017, 5:38 pm

Get your partner to shoot a .22, its almost certain to get her (or him) into firearms, and then you'll be able to store them at your place mate. If you don't currently own firearms you can rent them at your local range.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Feb 2017, 5:38 pm

So... How long you been together, because umm you know...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 09 Feb 2017, 6:26 pm

My partner (a female of the species) wasnt that keen on guns either BUT she loved the idea of going out bush and making a little camp fire to sit in front and watch the sunset soooooooo I said "How would you like to try a little target practice on some cans when we go up there"?..pause..."Ok then I will ty it"..
result, she had a ball and burnt up 50 rounds of .22 in one session.
Next couple of trips she did the same and then asked if she could try and shoot a bunny?, go for it I said, and 1 dead bunny later saw her grinning from ear to ear.
For the next 12 months she participated in long range bunny popping one time she knocked off 5 consecutive bunnies at 200-300yds with my .223.
But, her longest range shot was a 525 yd bunny with the .260..bloody show off.
So, try and suggest a little camping trip , with a nice camp fire (during winter) and then suggest taking the .22 for a few sessions of plinking targets and cans, that will hopefully remove the Demons from firearms and make her feel more comfortable about storing them at your home .
cheers.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by albat » 09 Feb 2017, 8:00 pm

JJD WTf , ask her if the garage is ok :thumbsup:
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 09 Feb 2017, 8:10 pm

Just buy the safe and put it somewhere discreet in your house or shed.
If it's true love she will moan a bit then accept it and move on.

If she really tries to give you the "me or the guns" ultimatum then you will probably be saving yourself years of misery.

It starts with guns then moves onto other things. You're a grown ass man, don't let them dictate what sort of legal fun you can have.

This strikes a bit of a nerve for me. I've got ex partners that tried this sort of business. If you are paying with your own money and your other bills are sorted the. No one has the right to tell you what you can and can't do.

It's a partnership, not a dictatorship. Grow a pair young man , and hold your head high. Brrrr, I'm getting flashbacks now of angry women lol.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Feb 2017, 8:17 pm

Safe in the house, maintenance in the garage. I don't think that's going to work.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 09 Feb 2017, 8:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:Just buy the safe and put it somewhere discreet in your house or shed.

If she really tries to give you the "me or the guns" ultimatum then you will probably be saving yourself years of misery.

It starts with guns then moves onto other things. You're a grown ass man, don't let them dictate what sort of legal fun you can have.

This strikes a bit of a nerve for me. I've got ex partners that tried this sort of business. If you are paying with your own money and your other bills are sorted the. No one has the right to tell you what you can and can't do.

It's a partnership, not a dictatorship. Grow a pair young man , and hold your head high. Brrrr, I'm getting flashbacks now of angry women lol.

Mate, I had one of those experiences,an ex asked me to pick out my favorite gun and get rid of the rest....thats why shes called an ex :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Dingo » 09 Feb 2017, 9:22 pm

My wife was totally against it after a few month of talking about it she folded - I have a compound bow so said I wanted a nice big safe to keep that away from my daughter as she is young . The kept talking about it ... now she wants to go camping and to shoot a . 22 - What have I started
styer 223 & 308 & a lack of $$$
Dingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 09 Feb 2017, 9:52 pm

Elmer wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Just buy the safe and put it somewhere discreet in your house or shed.

Mate, I had one of those experiences,an ex asked me to pick out my favourite gun and get rid of the rest....thats why shes called an ex :thumbsup:

yep :lol: now she sounds like a politician
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Feb 2017, 10:21 pm

JJD wrote: as she absolutely does not want them in our house :thumbsdown: .

You need to dump that woman as a matter of urgency.
She already has your balls in her purse.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 09 Feb 2017, 10:54 pm

I've had several of these discussions with the Russian Princess, first it was the motorcycle and I explained I was riding bikes before I was riding her so the bike stayed. Then it was the farting in bed, I explained that I was farting in bed before she was born and I'll continue to fart in bed long after she's gone. Lastly was the guns and I explained to her that I was shooting long before I met her and will continue to shoot. The moral, if you give in on anything they'll lose all respect for you as a man and you'll soon be their bitch.
That said, maybe try and get her involved and show her the sporting uses of firearms. The biggest growth at the moment in license applications is women.

Good luck :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 10 Feb 2017, 2:59 pm

brett1868 wrote:I've had several of these discussions with the Russian Princess, first it was the motorcycle and I explained I was riding bikes before I was riding her so the bike stayed. Then it was the farting in bed, I explained that I was farting in bed before she was born and I'll continue to fart in bed long after she's gone. Lastly was the guns and I explained to her that I was shooting long before I met her and will continue to shoot. The moral, if you give in on anything they'll lose all respect for you as a man and you'll soon be their bitch.
That said, maybe try and get her involved and show her the sporting uses of firearms. The biggest growth at the moment in license applications is women.

Good luck :)

Mate, farting in bed is one of the sheer joys of being a bloke, it is our testosterone induced right to change the barometric pressure under the covers. :drinks:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bushie » 10 Feb 2017, 3:11 pm

Just for Clarification
"Can I store my firearms at an address where there is no licence holder?
Yes, provided that the storage facilities comply with requirements and you ensure that access to the firearms are unable to be accessed by persons not authorised to do so."

From - http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=36210
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 10 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:So... I've been thinking about the guns issue (as he cradles spade.. or perhaps... it's a shovel)

Darl, you know how I feel about the weapons...

Theyre Not WEAPONS... my online friends told me their FIREARMS... cause weapons are either intended to be used or indeed used to injure another person in either a defensive or offensive manner...

OK.... Firearms...I would NEVER want to you to BURY them....

OH.............its not for the guns....

[[flurry of activity, bags packed, straight our front door, door swings on its hinges, you know, like in them westens'....]]

PROBLEMO... Solved.

Youre welcome.

All mine are weapons. What a difference an ocean makes.

All your guns were designed to kill something. With the extremely rare exception of training and competitive arms, which are designed to train to kill something. They don't build houses. Half of your stuff was designed specifically for warfare. I don't see "Marlin" on the side of any of your .303s.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bushie » 10 Feb 2017, 5:18 pm

I think the whole getting scolded if you refer to them as a 'weapon' thing is silly in my opinion

Like for example cars kill more people then guns by a long shot and if I see a 65 Cadillac as an example driving down the road I would turn to my dad and say "farrr what a weapon" because it looks fricken beast, not because it CAN kill something, but that's just the way I see it
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2017, 5:49 pm

" I think the whole getting scolded if you refer to them as a 'weapon' thing is silly in my opinion "

I wouldn't scold anyone. We all know that particularly military firearms are used as weapons."

It's just that in our current political situation the term can be used against us and to some it may sound aggressive. Not wrong just not ideal word to use on a public forum. I know it's BS, but just the way it is.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2017, 5:59 pm

Nothing is a weapon until somebody intends to use it that way.
Lots of shooting enthusiasts never ever kill anything with their firearms.

It's exactly the same argument as "guns don't kill people, people kill people."
Until a _person_ with bad intention uses it as a weapon then it is merely a firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws