Where can my gun be kept?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Where can my gun be kept?

Post by juststarting » 09 Feb 2017, 8:17 pm

Safe in the house, maintenance in the garage. I don't think that's going to work.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 09 Feb 2017, 8:18 pm

Supaduke wrote:Just buy the safe and put it somewhere discreet in your house or shed.
If it's true love she will moan a bit then accept it and move on.

If she really tries to give you the "me or the guns" ultimatum then you will probably be saving yourself years of misery.

It starts with guns then moves onto other things. You're a grown ass man, don't let them dictate what sort of legal fun you can have.

This strikes a bit of a nerve for me. I've got ex partners that tried this sort of business. If you are paying with your own money and your other bills are sorted the. No one has the right to tell you what you can and can't do.

It's a partnership, not a dictatorship. Grow a pair young man , and hold your head high. Brrrr, I'm getting flashbacks now of angry women lol.

Mate, I had one of those experiences,an ex asked me to pick out my favorite gun and get rid of the rest....thats why shes called an ex :thumbsup:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Dingo » 09 Feb 2017, 9:22 pm

My wife was totally against it after a few month of talking about it she folded - I have a compound bow so said I wanted a nice big safe to keep that away from my daughter as she is young . The kept talking about it ... now she wants to go camping and to shoot a . 22 - What have I started
styer 223 & 308 & a lack of $$$
Dingo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 09 Feb 2017, 9:52 pm

Elmer wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Just buy the safe and put it somewhere discreet in your house or shed.
If it's true love she will moan a bit then accept it and move on.

If she really tries to give you the "me or the guns" ultimatum then you will probably be saving yourself years of misery.

It starts with guns then moves onto other things. You're a grown ass man, don't let them dictate what sort of legal fun you can have.

This strikes a bit of a nerve for me. I've got ex partners that tried this sort of business. If you are paying with your own money and your other bills are sorted the. No one has the right to tell you what you can and can't do.

It's a partnership, not a dictatorship. Grow a pair young man , and hold your head high. Brrrr, I'm getting flashbacks now of angry women lol.

Mate, I had one of those experiences,an ex asked me to pick out my favourite gun and get rid of the rest....thats why shes called an ex :thumbsup:

yep :lol: now she sounds like a politician
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Feb 2017, 10:21 pm

JJD wrote: as she absolutely does not want them in our house :thumbsdown: .

You need to dump that woman as a matter of urgency.
She already has your balls in her purse.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 09 Feb 2017, 10:54 pm

I've had several of these discussions with the Russian Princess, first it was the motorcycle and I explained I was riding bikes before I was riding her so the bike stayed. Then it was the farting in bed, I explained that I was farting in bed before she was born and I'll continue to fart in bed long after she's gone. Lastly was the guns and I explained to her that I was shooting long before I met her and will continue to shoot. The moral, if you give in on anything they'll lose all respect for you as a man and you'll soon be their bitch.
That said, maybe try and get her involved and show her the sporting uses of firearms. The biggest growth at the moment in license applications is women.

Good luck :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 10 Feb 2017, 2:59 pm

brett1868 wrote:I've had several of these discussions with the Russian Princess, first it was the motorcycle and I explained I was riding bikes before I was riding her so the bike stayed. Then it was the farting in bed, I explained that I was farting in bed before she was born and I'll continue to fart in bed long after she's gone. Lastly was the guns and I explained to her that I was shooting long before I met her and will continue to shoot. The moral, if you give in on anything they'll lose all respect for you as a man and you'll soon be their bitch.
That said, maybe try and get her involved and show her the sporting uses of firearms. The biggest growth at the moment in license applications is women.

Good luck :)

Mate, farting in bed is one of the sheer joys of being a bloke, it is our testosterone induced right to change the barometric pressure under the covers. :drinks:
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bushie » 10 Feb 2017, 3:11 pm

Just for Clarification
"Can I store my firearms at an address where there is no licence holder?
Yes, provided that the storage facilities comply with requirements and you ensure that access to the firearms are unable to be accessed by persons not authorised to do so."

From - http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=36210
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 10 Feb 2017, 3:20 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:So... I've been thinking about the guns issue (as he cradles spade.. or perhaps... it's a shovel)

Darl, you know how I feel about the weapons...

Theyre Not WEAPONS... my online friends told me their FIREARMS... cause weapons are either intended to be used or indeed used to injure another person in either a defensive or offensive manner...

OK.... Firearms...I would NEVER want to you to BURY them....

OH.............its not for the guns....

[[flurry of activity, bags packed, straight our front door, door swings on its hinges, you know, like in them westens'....]]

PROBLEMO... Solved.

Youre welcome.

All mine are weapons. What a difference an ocean makes.

All your guns were designed to kill something. With the extremely rare exception of training and competitive arms, which are designed to train to kill something. They don't build houses. Half of your stuff was designed specifically for warfare. I don't see "Marlin" on the side of any of your .303s.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bushie » 10 Feb 2017, 5:18 pm

I think the whole getting scolded if you refer to them as a 'weapon' thing is silly in my opinion

Like for example cars kill more people then guns by a long shot and if I see a 65 Cadillac as an example driving down the road I would turn to my dad and say "farrr what a weapon" because it looks fricken beast, not because it CAN kill something, but that's just the way I see it
12G > Anything else
Bushie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2017, 5:49 pm

" I think the whole getting scolded if you refer to them as a 'weapon' thing is silly in my opinion "

I wouldn't scold anyone. We all know that particularly military firearms are used as weapons."

It's just that in our current political situation the term can be used against us and to some it may sound aggressive. Not wrong just not ideal word to use on a public forum. I know it's BS, but just the way it is.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2017, 5:59 pm

Nothing is a weapon until somebody intends to use it that way.
Lots of shooting enthusiasts never ever kill anything with their firearms.

It's exactly the same argument as "guns don't kill people, people kill people."
Until a _person_ with bad intention uses it as a weapon then it is merely a firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2017, 6:49 pm

No argument. But the general public read the forum. So we need to keep that in mind when we post. The word can be interpreted in many ways.
I don't use it for that reason.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 10 Feb 2017, 8:42 pm

My bayonet is not a weapon, either. It's obviously designed for cutting my steak and opening packages. And my saber was designed for trimming tree branches :D Unfortunately my guns can't realistically be used for either of those purposes. The only thing they can do is kill or destroy. OK, enough on my end :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by deye243 » 10 Feb 2017, 11:10 pm

so the government and the school teachers have won here Title_II ............. a weapon is a weapon is a weapon everyone needs get over it and apologise for nothing

you see that's most of the problem here in Australia the land of the apologist , the main problem is us and not being out there in their faces you see a lot of the laws

here say we can't do anything that will cause the public alarm and it has brainwashed most of the licence holders as well where they skulk around in the shadows

we are the new homos that can't find the door to get out there and be loud and proud :o

and no it's not :sarcasm: this is the I see it and I'm not the only one .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Feb 2017, 11:33 pm

I take it the wife has a purse with your balls in it?

Man up and just put the bloody safe in your place somewhere and stop letting her push you around (if you let them they will run your life for you) time to man up, open the purse, re-attach the balls and start livin again. :drinks:

Oh yeah welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 9:09 am

The 'weapon' argument is NOT as pedantic or silly or insignificant as some make out, has been covered ad nauseam around here....
apart from the FACT that we as mere civilians are specifically prohibited from owning guns TO KILL PEOPLE..... or in other terms 'self defence', which removed the 'possessing a weapon' part...

In Aus only law enforcement agencies, State/Fed Police, various (numerous) intelligence / corruption outfits....property protecting and person protecting guards...

And this is the important bit;

The term WEAPON is used in the pejorative sense (negative / insulting / disparaging ) by the media AND the grabtard class, toward the lawful firearm owners to describe 'our' lawful firearms and particularly those who possess them (you and I) in the negative "they are used to kill people" sense... THAT is their mantra; "they are only used to kill others" hence they must referred to them as weapons - rarely if ever as firearms...

Yes, term can refer to ANY implement (hammer, golf club, bottle drinking glass, a motor vehicle, literally ANYTHING) either possessed with the intention to or actually used to injure or kill another PERSON (I absolutely discount the animal link)

Yes, there is the WEAPONS Act in Qld.... concerning firearms - Just an official version of the above pejorative.

Yes, there is the Control of WEAPONS Act in Vic, other states, dealing with non-firearm 'weapons' such as knives (that we can not carry - with particular exceptions) based on the assumption that anyone 'carrying' a knife or multitude of other sharp/point/heavy/noxious/protective etc articles, are doing so solely to inure others....

And YES... our firearms could be used as weapons....but they are not (formally/legally) possessed AS weapons.

So me, personally, I never refer to my firearms as weapons, and discourage the use of the term - it's about education...you other guys might disagree and think I'm 'over thinking' it, thats fine, you can call your guns anything, even daisys if you like....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 9:26 am

And yet you call them "firearms." Where exactly does "arms" come from in the term "firearms?" :D

Perhaps you should start calling them "that pew pew pew thing." Wait - that might be too many pews, let's that call them "that pew thing."

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Yes, term can refer to ANY implement (hammer, golf club, bottle drinking glass, a motor vehicle, literally ANYTHING) either possessed with the intention to or actually used to injure or kill another PERSON (I absolutely discount the animal link)

All of those "implements" have a purpose other than destruction. The only thing a gun does it put holes in people, animals, and things. Or, with the proper ammo, set them on fire and/or blow them up. They don't build a house, play a round of golf, get you a drink, or transport you from point A to point B. They only destroy and kill. And all of them were designed with that in mind, again with the exception of competition and training guns, which were designed to train and demonstrate expertise in destroying and killing. :)

I know I said I was bowing out but you just can't argue or rationalize your way out of this, and it was directed at me. I understand my mates over there live under difficult conditions, and I might not completely understand what it is like. But I've been here a while and I think I have some idea. So I can't tell you what to do, but I will tell you what I think. :friends:
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 9:50 am

We can have pew, also pew pew... but not pewpewpewpewpew.... (no semi autos)..

'fire' held by the 'arms'...like making 'fire'...propelling with fire?? whats the point?

I realise they were "designed to kill people"... thats the basis of their demented ideology...

I know exactly how to think.....I just refuse to comply with the nonsense programing of Ms. Rebecca Peters (&Co.) who you guys sent BACK to us recently...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 10:52 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:We can have pew, also pew pew... but not pewpewpewpewpew.... (no semi autos)..

'fire' held by the 'arms'...like making 'fire'...propelling with fire?? whats the point?

I realise they were "designed to kill people"... thats the basis of their demented ideology...

I know exactly how to think.....I just refuse to comply with the nonsense programing of Ms. Rebecca Peters (&Co.) who you guys sent BACK to us recently...

Fire held by the arms? Are you serious? "Arms" means weapons :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 11:32 am

Title_II wrote:
We can have pew, also pew pew... but not pewpewpewpewpew.... (no semi autos)..

Fire held by the arms? Are you serious? "Arms" means weapons :D

No I wasnt. .... not fully...

Arms from Armament.. Arma.. it is NOW meaning weapons... it has an origin
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 11:45 am

OK, mate, you scared me for a moment :) And I know Americans are dumb, but I did take four years of Latin :)

I really want to get out of this because it's obviously touchy and I don't want to be a pain. Would appreciate nobody taking a serious go at me, I am a guest here trying to be on good behavior and don't want to be baited (not about you, Genesis). I want to help if I can but I don't want to upset my hosts.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 11 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

IMG_0339.JPG
Fire arms
IMG_0339.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 5100 times

Now we know

You're welcome
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 1:07 pm

Title_II wrote:OK, mate, you scared me for a moment :) And I know Americans are dumb, but I did take four years of Latin :)

I really want to get out of this because it's obviously touchy and I don't want to be a pain. Would appreciate nobody taking a serious go at me, I am a guest here trying to be on good behavior and don't want to be baited (not about you, Genesis). I want to help if I can but I don't want to upset my hosts.

There might just come a day.... when you guys DO indeed help us with your fiery arms :) once you sort out your business over there... you can come over here and back us with our revolution [flag ASIO],

THAT is the only way we'll sort out OUR mess.....

And it is quite touchy...the matter of gun control, because the more crime we experience, car jackings, armed home and business invasions... - the more and louder the gun control noise.

We sure do have our fair share of dumb... they mostly seem to be in government though
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2017, 2:31 pm

Title_II wrote:All of those "implements" have a purpose other than destruction. The only thing a gun does it put holes in people, animals, and things. Or, with the proper ammo, set them on fire and/or blow them up. They don't build a house, play a round of golf, get you a drink, or transport you from point A to point B. They only destroy and kill. And all of them were designed with that in mind, again with the exception of competition and training guns, which were designed to train and demonstrate expertise in destroying and killing. :)

Putting holes in things is not automatically "destruction", lots of other tools do the same for purposes of construction. We shoot animals to harvest them, not to destroy them - there is a difference.
They certainly do not _only_ kill and destroy.
Very, very, very few firearms held by non-military people ever get used to kill or destroy people, and a very, very large number never kill or injure any living thing. If that were their "only purpose" I can only say that there has never been any invention less fit for purpose than a firearm, with the obvious exception of politicians.

Warfare is the driving force behind almost all human evolution, a lot of the technological evolution aimed at designing more effective ways to kill people and destroy things - weapons. But when that technology is further evolved in time of peace it is no longer a weapon, the same with firearms. The first firearms were invented as weapons, and that was their only purpose. During peace time they became tools for training the skills of military people, although actually using those "training" firearms as weapons against actual people or materiel was very unlikely. When these training firearms evolved into more efficient training tools using very un-military cartridges, like .22LR, and even paintball and airsoft, their "only purpose" was certainly not to kill or destroy anything at all, ever.
Target shooting and hunting may well be handy training if you ever need to use firearms as weapons, but warfare or defence is certainly not the intent of pursuing those activities - it is merely recreational.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 3:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Title_II wrote:All of those "implements" have a purpose other than destruction. The only thing a gun does it put holes in people, animals, and things. Or, with the proper ammo, set them on fire and/or blow them up. They don't build a house, play a round of golf, get you a drink, or transport you from point A to point B. They only destroy and kill. And all of them were designed with that in mind, again with the exception of competition and training guns, which were designed to train and demonstrate expertise in destroying and killing. :)

Putting holes in things is not automatically "destruction", lots of other tools do the same for purposes of construction. We shoot animals to harvest them, not to destroy them - there is a difference.

No, you shoot animals to KILL them. And NOBODY uses a gun to put the kinds of holes in things that are used for construction. Well, there may be some Yank video on youtube somewhere, but let's be reasonable and honest about this. :D

They certainly do not _only_ kill and destroy.
Very, very, very few firearms held by non-military people ever get used to kill or destroy people, and a very, very large number never kill or injure any living thing. If that were their "only purpose" I can only say that there has never been any invention less fit for purpose than a firearm, with the obvious exception of politicians.

Warfare is the driving force behind almost all human evolution, a lot of the technological evolution aimed at designing more effective ways to kill people and destroy things - weapons. But when that technology is further evolved in time of peace it is no longer a weapon, the same with firearms. The first firearms were invented as weapons, and that was their only purpose. During peace time they became tools for training the skills of military people, although actually using those "training" firearms as weapons against actual people or materiel was very unlikely. When these training firearms evolved into more efficient training tools using very un-military cartridges, like .22LR, and even paintball and airsoft, their "only purpose" was certainly not to kill or destroy anything at all, ever.
Target shooting and hunting may well be handy training if you ever need to use firearms as weapons, but warfare or defence is certainly not the intent of pursuing those activities - it is merely recreational.

What percentage of the guns that you own were not designed to kill something? I've been on this forum for years. Pretty much the only thing you do with weapons, for the most part, is kill things. It seems like target (killing) practice and competition (killing competitions) are pretty rare among my mates in OZ, with the exception of people that justify handgun ownership. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt you mates enjoy it. But let's be honest.

Paintball and airsoft are not guns, and have no place in this discussion. But,incidentally, they are intended to simulate KILLING.

Every firearm I own is a weapon. And I shoot them frequently. Guess how many things with a pulse I have shot with a firearm in the past 10 years? ZERO. That does not change the fact that they are weapons. Most of you guys are killing stuff every chance you get, and you tell me you don't own weapons.

Just call them firearms if that works for you. That seems to be your preference. That still means you are calling them arms, and thus weapons.

I really should be leaving this alone, because I understand there is a cultural issue here. But my mates here keep responding directly to me, and the absurd denial is pushing one of my buttons, even though I realize it's a simple matter of cultural norm that probably started with a wink, nod, and a rash of BS some decades ago.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 3:49 pm

If what I am saying is going to look bad in our culture in OZ, go ahead and delete it. I have no problems with that, seriously. I don't want to cause issues. But don't bullXXXX me. I would suggest thinking about why we may bullXXXX ourselves.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2017, 4:01 pm

Title_II wrote:If what I am saying is going to look bad in our culture in OZ, go ahead and delete it. I have no problems with that, seriously. I don't want to cause issues. But don't bullXXXX me. I would suggest thinking about why we may bullXXXX ourselves.

I don't think that is the case at all.
We use the same letters in our alphabets, but our languages are quite different.
In the US perhaps "weapon" is the common term for what we commonly refer to as "firearms".
We simply have different definitions for the same words.

Similar to people that refer to bullets as projectiles.
A bullet, like anything else, becomes a projectile upon being launched - until then it is a bullet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 5:27 pm

I'm afraid of bullets. Or projectiles, if you prefer. I'm not afraid of words ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by albat » 11 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

F__k Ive had GUNS since i was a kid :unknown:
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next