Where can my gun be kept?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Where can my gun be kept?

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 9:50 am

We can have pew, also pew pew... but not pewpewpewpewpew.... (no semi autos)..

'fire' held by the 'arms'...like making 'fire'...propelling with fire?? whats the point?

I realise they were "designed to kill people"... thats the basis of their demented ideology...

I know exactly how to think.....I just refuse to comply with the nonsense programing of Ms. Rebecca Peters (&Co.) who you guys sent BACK to us recently...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 10:52 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:We can have pew, also pew pew... but not pewpewpewpewpew.... (no semi autos)..

'fire' held by the 'arms'...like making 'fire'...propelling with fire?? whats the point?

I realise they were "designed to kill people"... thats the basis of their demented ideology...

I know exactly how to think.....I just refuse to comply with the nonsense programing of Ms. Rebecca Peters (&Co.) who you guys sent BACK to us recently...

Fire held by the arms? Are you serious? "Arms" means weapons :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 11:32 am

Title_II wrote:
We can have pew, also pew pew... but not pewpewpewpewpew.... (no semi autos)..

Fire held by the arms? Are you serious? "Arms" means weapons :D

No I wasnt. .... not fully...

Arms from Armament.. Arma.. it is NOW meaning weapons... it has an origin
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 11:45 am

OK, mate, you scared me for a moment :) And I know Americans are dumb, but I did take four years of Latin :)

I really want to get out of this because it's obviously touchy and I don't want to be a pain. Would appreciate nobody taking a serious go at me, I am a guest here trying to be on good behavior and don't want to be baited (not about you, Genesis). I want to help if I can but I don't want to upset my hosts.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 11 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

IMG_0339.JPG
Fire arms
IMG_0339.JPG (28 KiB) Viewed 5072 times

Now we know

You're welcome
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 1:07 pm

Title_II wrote:OK, mate, you scared me for a moment :) And I know Americans are dumb, but I did take four years of Latin :)

I really want to get out of this because it's obviously touchy and I don't want to be a pain. Would appreciate nobody taking a serious go at me, I am a guest here trying to be on good behavior and don't want to be baited (not about you, Genesis). I want to help if I can but I don't want to upset my hosts.

There might just come a day.... when you guys DO indeed help us with your fiery arms :) once you sort out your business over there... you can come over here and back us with our revolution [flag ASIO],

THAT is the only way we'll sort out OUR mess.....

And it is quite touchy...the matter of gun control, because the more crime we experience, car jackings, armed home and business invasions... - the more and louder the gun control noise.

We sure do have our fair share of dumb... they mostly seem to be in government though
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2017, 2:31 pm

Title_II wrote:All of those "implements" have a purpose other than destruction. The only thing a gun does it put holes in people, animals, and things. Or, with the proper ammo, set them on fire and/or blow them up. They don't build a house, play a round of golf, get you a drink, or transport you from point A to point B. They only destroy and kill. And all of them were designed with that in mind, again with the exception of competition and training guns, which were designed to train and demonstrate expertise in destroying and killing. :)

Putting holes in things is not automatically "destruction", lots of other tools do the same for purposes of construction. We shoot animals to harvest them, not to destroy them - there is a difference.
They certainly do not _only_ kill and destroy.
Very, very, very few firearms held by non-military people ever get used to kill or destroy people, and a very, very large number never kill or injure any living thing. If that were their "only purpose" I can only say that there has never been any invention less fit for purpose than a firearm, with the obvious exception of politicians.

Warfare is the driving force behind almost all human evolution, a lot of the technological evolution aimed at designing more effective ways to kill people and destroy things - weapons. But when that technology is further evolved in time of peace it is no longer a weapon, the same with firearms. The first firearms were invented as weapons, and that was their only purpose. During peace time they became tools for training the skills of military people, although actually using those "training" firearms as weapons against actual people or materiel was very unlikely. When these training firearms evolved into more efficient training tools using very un-military cartridges, like .22LR, and even paintball and airsoft, their "only purpose" was certainly not to kill or destroy anything at all, ever.
Target shooting and hunting may well be handy training if you ever need to use firearms as weapons, but warfare or defence is certainly not the intent of pursuing those activities - it is merely recreational.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 3:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Title_II wrote:All of those "implements" have a purpose other than destruction. The only thing a gun does it put holes in people, animals, and things. Or, with the proper ammo, set them on fire and/or blow them up. They don't build a house, play a round of golf, get you a drink, or transport you from point A to point B. They only destroy and kill. And all of them were designed with that in mind, again with the exception of competition and training guns, which were designed to train and demonstrate expertise in destroying and killing. :)

Putting holes in things is not automatically "destruction", lots of other tools do the same for purposes of construction. We shoot animals to harvest them, not to destroy them - there is a difference.

No, you shoot animals to KILL them. And NOBODY uses a gun to put the kinds of holes in things that are used for construction. Well, there may be some Yank video on youtube somewhere, but let's be reasonable and honest about this. :D

They certainly do not _only_ kill and destroy.
Very, very, very few firearms held by non-military people ever get used to kill or destroy people, and a very, very large number never kill or injure any living thing. If that were their "only purpose" I can only say that there has never been any invention less fit for purpose than a firearm, with the obvious exception of politicians.

Warfare is the driving force behind almost all human evolution, a lot of the technological evolution aimed at designing more effective ways to kill people and destroy things - weapons. But when that technology is further evolved in time of peace it is no longer a weapon, the same with firearms. The first firearms were invented as weapons, and that was their only purpose. During peace time they became tools for training the skills of military people, although actually using those "training" firearms as weapons against actual people or materiel was very unlikely. When these training firearms evolved into more efficient training tools using very un-military cartridges, like .22LR, and even paintball and airsoft, their "only purpose" was certainly not to kill or destroy anything at all, ever.
Target shooting and hunting may well be handy training if you ever need to use firearms as weapons, but warfare or defence is certainly not the intent of pursuing those activities - it is merely recreational.

What percentage of the guns that you own were not designed to kill something? I've been on this forum for years. Pretty much the only thing you do with weapons, for the most part, is kill things. It seems like target (killing) practice and competition (killing competitions) are pretty rare among my mates in OZ, with the exception of people that justify handgun ownership. Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt you mates enjoy it. But let's be honest.

Paintball and airsoft are not guns, and have no place in this discussion. But,incidentally, they are intended to simulate KILLING.

Every firearm I own is a weapon. And I shoot them frequently. Guess how many things with a pulse I have shot with a firearm in the past 10 years? ZERO. That does not change the fact that they are weapons. Most of you guys are killing stuff every chance you get, and you tell me you don't own weapons.

Just call them firearms if that works for you. That seems to be your preference. That still means you are calling them arms, and thus weapons.

I really should be leaving this alone, because I understand there is a cultural issue here. But my mates here keep responding directly to me, and the absurd denial is pushing one of my buttons, even though I realize it's a simple matter of cultural norm that probably started with a wink, nod, and a rash of BS some decades ago.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 3:49 pm

If what I am saying is going to look bad in our culture in OZ, go ahead and delete it. I have no problems with that, seriously. I don't want to cause issues. But don't bullXXXX me. I would suggest thinking about why we may bullXXXX ourselves.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2017, 4:01 pm

Title_II wrote:If what I am saying is going to look bad in our culture in OZ, go ahead and delete it. I have no problems with that, seriously. I don't want to cause issues. But don't bullXXXX me. I would suggest thinking about why we may bullXXXX ourselves.

I don't think that is the case at all.
We use the same letters in our alphabets, but our languages are quite different.
In the US perhaps "weapon" is the common term for what we commonly refer to as "firearms".
We simply have different definitions for the same words.

Similar to people that refer to bullets as projectiles.
A bullet, like anything else, becomes a projectile upon being launched - until then it is a bullet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 11 Feb 2017, 5:27 pm

I'm afraid of bullets. Or projectiles, if you prefer. I'm not afraid of words ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by albat » 11 Feb 2017, 6:39 pm

F__k Ive had GUNS since i was a kid :unknown:
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 11 Feb 2017, 7:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:Putting holes in things is not automatically "destruction".......

No of course not, it can be more constructive than DEstructive.... With the current situation in Vic, many recipients would respond quite well to increasing their lead content :D :D :D :D :sarcasm: :allegedly: :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 11 Feb 2017, 10:04 pm

Title_II wrote:OK, mate, you scared me for a moment :) And I know Americans are dumb, but I did take four years of Latin :)

Americans are not "dumb"....they are "Special" :lol:
You are not a guest, I think of you as "One of Us" :thumbsup:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 12 Feb 2017, 2:44 am

Well, thank you...I think :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 12 Feb 2017, 4:49 am

It's purely a matter of negative connotation for public perception. Talking about weapons has the connotation that we intend to kill, injure or main people with our firearms.

There is also the point of correctly describing an item. I have 20-30 knives laying around but I don't say "I need a weapon to cut this rope"; even though the kitchen knife is the most common murder weapon in Australia.

See how I used the word knife to describe the item and weapon to describe its use???

Same goes with firearms. Only weapons if used as such, regardless of design premise.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 12 Feb 2017, 5:30 am

Gwion wrote:It's purely a matter of negative connotation for public perception. Talking about weapons has the connotation that we intend to kill, injure or main people with our firearms.

There is also the point of correctly describing an item. I have 20-30 knives laying around but I don't say "I need a weapon to cut this rope"; even though the kitchen knife is the most common murder weapon in Australia.

See how I used the word knife to describe the item and weapon to describe its use???

Same goes with firearms. Only weapons if used as such, regardless of design premise.

Plowed ground :)

Some knives are obviously weapons. Some knives may be used as weapons. But bayonets and sabers are always weapons. Just like guns :) A rose by any other name :)

This thread has tried a dozen different ways to win a losing argument and a dozen more won't get the job done any better. There is absolutely no point I am missing here that needs to be explained to me. I laid out the facts right up front, and the truth can't be changed. Oh well, hope I haven't stepped on any toes :friends:
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Feb 2017, 6:06 am

Funny how they never described the car that killed 5 people in Melbourne as a "Weapon" even though it was used to kill people, yet if it had of been a firearm used it would have been "Weapon this Weapon that". Same with the box of matches or Lighter that was used to kill those people in the old peoples home, no mention of those being used as a weapon - gotta love the media.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 12 Feb 2017, 6:40 am

In times like these let us turn to the dictionary.

Weapon
noun
1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
3. Zoology. any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.

My understanding is that a rifle can only be classed as a weapon when used as a means of attack or defense against another person. :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 12 Feb 2017, 7:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:Funny how they never described the car that killed 5 people in Melbourne as a "Weapon" even though it was used to kill people, yet if it had of been a firearm used it would have been "Weapon this Weapon that". Same with the box of matches or Lighter that was used to kill those people in the old peoples home, no mention of those being used as a weapon - gotta love the media.

We already covered this :D

brett1868 wrote:In times like these let us turn to the dictionary.

Weapon
noun
1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
3. Zoology. any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.

My understanding is that a rifle can only be classed as a weapon when used as a means of attack or defense against another person. :D

And this you turkey ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 12 Feb 2017, 12:34 pm

And this you turkey

Gee...you are polite, most call me names that cannot be repeated but I consider myself more a clown then a turkey. If you're free June 27 - July 2 and can get to Raton NM it'd be great to catch up for a few drinks and a feed, always great to meet up other members. :drinks:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 12 Feb 2017, 4:37 pm

albat wrote:JJD WTf , ask her if the garage is ok :thumbsup:

Good idea. Tell her to move into the garage.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 12 Feb 2017, 4:53 pm

Man this thread took off on few tangents that's for sure
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Feb 2017, 6:08 pm

Supaduke wrote:Man this thread took off on few tangents that's for sure

as all good threads do :lol: 8-)
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Feb 2017, 6:33 pm

happyhunter wrote:
albat wrote:JJD WTf , ask her if the garage is ok :thumbsup:

Good idea. Tell her to move into the garage.

COME ON!!
I thought we settled this...
Back to mum and dad's 8-)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Feb 2017, 8:26 am

To return to track- the technical answer for the O.P is that yes you can store your firearms at another place.
BUT, the consensus is:
1.Grow a set!
2.Trade in the missus. :D :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 9:31 am

Elmer wrote:My partner (a female of the species) wasnt that keen on guns either BUT she loved the idea of going out bush and making a little camp fire to sit in front and watch the sunset soooooooo I said "How would you like to try a little target practice on some cans when we go up there"?..pause..."Ok then I will ty it"..
result, she had a ball and burnt up 50 rounds of .22 in one session.
Next couple of trips she did the same and then asked if she could try and shoot a bunny?, go for it I said, and 1 dead bunny later saw her grinning from ear to ear.
For the next 12 months she participated in long range bunny popping one time she knocked off 5 consecutive bunnies at 200-300yds with my .223.
But, her longest range shot was a 525 yd bunny with the .260..bloody show off.
So, try and suggest a little camping trip , with a nice camp fire (during winter) and then suggest taking the .22 for a few sessions of plinking targets and cans, that will hopefully remove the Demons from firearms and make her feel more comfortable about storing them at your home .
cheers.

My misses was a bit the same, more lacking in confidence and worried about looking silly, but she finally decided to at least try it and soon found she loved shooting, so much so she's got her license and own rifles now, so too have the kids, they soon found that they really enjoyed shooting and now have their permits and own firearms too and they all enjoy shooting foxes and bunnies etc.

All I can say to the OP is do as some have suggested, get her to have a shot at some paper or cans etc in a relaxed atmosphere and see what she thinks after having a few shots, wouldn't surprise me in the least if she soon realised how much fun it really can be and how safe and enjoyable it can be (sadly they see all the BS on TV from the Movies and News etc) which we know is far from the reality of legal firearms ownership and more to do with sensationalising things in the name of a profit more so than the real world of firearms use.

Maybe do her a deal re where the safe is located (ie see if you can have it at home for 6mths or so and if it's still something she is concerned about them look at putting it somewhere else) may be worth a try doing something like that (hopefully during that time she will come to realise it's not such a big deal having a save in your home). :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Feb 2017, 10:16 am

Yep. Try getting her to at least go to the range to try it out so she is basing her opinion/decision from a balanced and informed point of view. Focus on the safety and responsibility side of things. She might like it, she may soften or she may still just completely be against it, but......
If she refuses to even consider that proposal, as someone else said, save yourself years of head aching arguments and ditch her. I'm not saying that about guns, just why stay with someone who can't make balanced judgements!?!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Feb 2017, 2:53 pm

"Enough Gun marriage guidance" at your service. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Feb 2017, 3:05 pm

Yeh, he is considering all that professional marriage guidance advice. :sarcasm:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws