Where can my gun be kept?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Where can my gun be kept?

Post by brett1868 » 12 Feb 2017, 6:40 am

In times like these let us turn to the dictionary.

Weapon
noun
1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
3. Zoology. any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.

My understanding is that a rifle can only be classed as a weapon when used as a means of attack or defense against another person. :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 12 Feb 2017, 7:55 am

bigfellascott wrote:Funny how they never described the car that killed 5 people in Melbourne as a "Weapon" even though it was used to kill people, yet if it had of been a firearm used it would have been "Weapon this Weapon that". Same with the box of matches or Lighter that was used to kill those people in the old peoples home, no mention of those being used as a weapon - gotta love the media.

We already covered this :D

brett1868 wrote:In times like these let us turn to the dictionary.

Weapon
noun
1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim: the deadly weapon of satire.
3. Zoology. any part or organ serving for attack or defense, as claws, horns, teeth, or stings.

My understanding is that a rifle can only be classed as a weapon when used as a means of attack or defense against another person. :D

And this you turkey ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 12 Feb 2017, 12:34 pm

And this you turkey

Gee...you are polite, most call me names that cannot be repeated but I consider myself more a clown then a turkey. If you're free June 27 - July 2 and can get to Raton NM it'd be great to catch up for a few drinks and a feed, always great to meet up other members. :drinks:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 12 Feb 2017, 4:37 pm

albat wrote:JJD WTf , ask her if the garage is ok :thumbsup:

Good idea. Tell her to move into the garage.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Supaduke » 12 Feb 2017, 4:53 pm

Man this thread took off on few tangents that's for sure
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 12 Feb 2017, 6:08 pm

Supaduke wrote:Man this thread took off on few tangents that's for sure

as all good threads do :lol: 8-)
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Feb 2017, 6:33 pm

happyhunter wrote:
albat wrote:JJD WTf , ask her if the garage is ok :thumbsup:

Good idea. Tell her to move into the garage.

COME ON!!
I thought we settled this...
Back to mum and dad's 8-)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Feb 2017, 8:26 am

To return to track- the technical answer for the O.P is that yes you can store your firearms at another place.
BUT, the consensus is:
1.Grow a set!
2.Trade in the missus. :D :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 9:31 am

Elmer wrote:My partner (a female of the species) wasnt that keen on guns either BUT she loved the idea of going out bush and making a little camp fire to sit in front and watch the sunset soooooooo I said "How would you like to try a little target practice on some cans when we go up there"?..pause..."Ok then I will ty it"..
result, she had a ball and burnt up 50 rounds of .22 in one session.
Next couple of trips she did the same and then asked if she could try and shoot a bunny?, go for it I said, and 1 dead bunny later saw her grinning from ear to ear.
For the next 12 months she participated in long range bunny popping one time she knocked off 5 consecutive bunnies at 200-300yds with my .223.
But, her longest range shot was a 525 yd bunny with the .260..bloody show off.
So, try and suggest a little camping trip , with a nice camp fire (during winter) and then suggest taking the .22 for a few sessions of plinking targets and cans, that will hopefully remove the Demons from firearms and make her feel more comfortable about storing them at your home .
cheers.

My misses was a bit the same, more lacking in confidence and worried about looking silly, but she finally decided to at least try it and soon found she loved shooting, so much so she's got her license and own rifles now, so too have the kids, they soon found that they really enjoyed shooting and now have their permits and own firearms too and they all enjoy shooting foxes and bunnies etc.

All I can say to the OP is do as some have suggested, get her to have a shot at some paper or cans etc in a relaxed atmosphere and see what she thinks after having a few shots, wouldn't surprise me in the least if she soon realised how much fun it really can be and how safe and enjoyable it can be (sadly they see all the BS on TV from the Movies and News etc) which we know is far from the reality of legal firearms ownership and more to do with sensationalising things in the name of a profit more so than the real world of firearms use.

Maybe do her a deal re where the safe is located (ie see if you can have it at home for 6mths or so and if it's still something she is concerned about them look at putting it somewhere else) may be worth a try doing something like that (hopefully during that time she will come to realise it's not such a big deal having a save in your home). :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 13 Feb 2017, 10:16 am

Yep. Try getting her to at least go to the range to try it out so she is basing her opinion/decision from a balanced and informed point of view. Focus on the safety and responsibility side of things. She might like it, she may soften or she may still just completely be against it, but......
If she refuses to even consider that proposal, as someone else said, save yourself years of head aching arguments and ditch her. I'm not saying that about guns, just why stay with someone who can't make balanced judgements!?!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Feb 2017, 2:53 pm

"Enough Gun marriage guidance" at your service. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Feb 2017, 3:05 pm

Yeh, he is considering all that professional marriage guidance advice. :sarcasm:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JJD » 13 Feb 2017, 8:32 pm

:lol: Thanks again guys. This has certainly been an interesting thread.
You'll all be happy to hear, after much discussion, the safe is going in our house. The only promise I had to make was when kids come along, if she still wants it gone then I'll move it away. I thought this was a fair negotiation and I'm confident I'll have her on board the gun train by then ;)
Thanks guys.
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 8:44 pm

JJD wrote::lol: Thanks again guys. This has certainly been an interesting thread.
You'll all be happy to hear, after much discussion, the safe is going in our house. The only promise I had to make was when kids come along, if she still wants it gone then I'll move it away. I thought this was a fair negotiation and I'm confident I'll have her on board the gun train by then ;)
Thanks guys.

Excellent news mate, once you get everything set up and get a few firearms it might be a good idea to get her to have a go and see if she likes it (they generally do) start with a 22 or even an air rifle and let her see how she finds those and maybe down the track give her a go of a small centre fire - the other thing is to make sure she wears ear protection, the noise often puts them off until they are used to the whole thing.

Small steps mate, I'm sure she will find it quite fascinating and interesting once she's done it a few times.

Good luck :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:03 pm

if kids come along just don't make the mistake of making it a mystery to them I had all my 3 kids sitting on my knee

on the press handle from around 3 years old buy the time they were 5 they could tell you how to load 223 and 308

right down to the primer brand and powder .

you see if it's not a mystery no go zone then they won't play there when your not watching them I even heard my 5

yo son say one day mum your not allowed in the gun room that's just for dad and us gee I pissed my self laughing .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 14 Feb 2017, 8:40 am

Was this on the International Space Station? :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 8:53 am

Haven't you heard? We come from the land "down-under".
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 14 Feb 2017, 8:54 am

the land of vegemite san-dwidge :P
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 9:02 am

Title_II wrote:Was this on the International Space Station? :)

It's right way up for us mate, maybe try standing on your head :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 9:09 am

JJD, well done on your "success" with your partner with regards the locating of your safe. Once you are up and running you could perhaps keep an eye out for one of the "Try Shooting" days that SSAA run. Take your other half along and she can see that there is a wide variety of types of shooting that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and abilities. She will also be able to have a go. Shooting is about the only sport that can be enjoyed by all of the family truly "playing" together. I have introduced friends to silhouette shooting and encouraged them to bring their wives and kids along. It doesn't take long before the whole family are shooting together. Those with kids that are under-age find that the kids become very interested and can't wait to be old enough to shoot.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 10:11 am

Kids these days don't get taught responsibility till it's way too late in my opinion, how can they be taught to be responsible if never given the opportunities.
Both my wife and son have been shown how to approach an unattended firearm, how to pick it up and how to clear it along with what to do with it once cleared. Being my age and the shear volume of firearms that I may or may not have it's important they know what to do if something happens to me.
My son turns 12 in October, he will get SSAA Membership, Firearms Safety course, St Marys Pistol Club Membership and safety course as part of his birthday presents. Hopefully he will enjoy the sport, he's keen now but I want to do it properly and legally to set the example. Once he's 100% legit I'll put him to work on the presses preparing brass, he'll have forearms like Popeye in no time :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 14 Feb 2017, 10:28 am

Good job JJD and awesome work to everyone one this thread it's been a riot!

:lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Feb 2017, 10:38 am

Hey Brett, why wait until he is 12 to join him up? Both of my boys have been "life" members, i.e, since they were born. :D :thumbsup:

The eldest was popular at boarding school each month when his "Shooters Journal" turned up in the post.

You're right about responsibility, kids that are taught firearm responsibility tend to be more responsible in all aspects of life.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 14 Feb 2017, 11:53 am

Great outcome. My wife's attitude changed dramatically from the moment I changed my own attitude from largely shooting for recreation to shooting mostly to put food on the table. Her attitude went from tolerance/indifference to total support. If she is into gardening, that's a good avenue to explore. Imo there is probably little in life that is more satisfying than sitting down to a meal with your family when you have grown and harvested everything on the plate. Even my extended family love a good goat stew. Some of the hunting shows like meat eater are a good ice breaker too. The focus is on the landscape and the effort required to harvest an animal rather than the kill.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Title_II » 14 Feb 2017, 12:28 pm

Ouch, I think I pulled a kidney LOL :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 1:08 pm

Yep definitely get the kids interested in shooting too, mine enjoy hunting and helping with the reloading etc, it's fun watching them do it actually and mum also enjoys that side of it too and always fun when we knock out a few rounds for our annual trip away.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gizardry » 27 Feb 2017, 6:27 pm

At VIC police website under 'Frequently Asked Questions'
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.as ... t_ID=36210

Can I store my firearms at another licence holder's address?

Yes, however the following requirements must be satisfied:

If the licence holder has access to the firearms, they must be the holder of the appropriate licence for the category of firearm/s being stored;
The licence holder where the firearms are to be stored must continue to ensure that the storage facilities are in compliance with legislation. For example, the addition of a firearm/s stored at a particular location may necessitate the fitting of an alarm system;
Licensing & Regulation Division must be advised of that storage address if it is an ordinary storage address; and
The firearm/s are not able to be accessed by anyone who is not the holder of the applicable firearms licence.
If you are the holder of a general category handgun licence and you propose to be absent from Victoria for a substantial period of time or you are temporarily incapacitated, you may arrange for another licence holder to apply for a permit to store your handguns.

Can I store my firearms at an address where there is no licence holder?

Yes, provided that the storage facilities comply with requirements and you ensure that access to the firearms are unable to be accessed by persons not authorised to do so.

So generally yes if the storage requirements are met. If the owner has the keys they should be licenced. If they don't, just 150kg safe or bolted to the wall/floor(this is also how those 24 hours safes work, they cost around 50 dollars/month for 3 rifles, not cheap).

I currently rent in an apartment luckily I have many pro gun friends in the same building and some of the are owners and are willing to bolt a safe in their closet. They even let me keep all my rifle there for free. Most of the time we go target shooting or hunting together, we just gather in one of my friends room to do te prep before trip.

If you don't live around trusty friends(yes, you need to really trust your friends to put your rifles with them) who also to be gun owners, check providers like Kennards.

There might be more companies like this, and as I said, they are not cheap(compared to store with gun dealers and clubs). But they offer 24 hour access and no one could have access to your gun.
Gizardry
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jasonf » 12 Mar 2017, 11:22 am

My wife was a bit unsure about the whole gun thing, but once I explained that a gun is an inanimate object and doesn't just get up on its own and start shooting she came around and now even my daughters come out shooting both my rifles and pistol. Leaving me free to fondle clean and reload at will :-)
Jasonf
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 12 Mar 2017, 11:36 am

Jasonf wrote:My wife was a bit unsure about the whole gun thing, but once I explained that a gun is an inanimate object and doesn't just get up on its own and start shooting she came around and now even my daughters come out shooting both my rifles and pistol. Leaving me free to fondle clean and reload at will :-)

Bit of a concern that your wife had to be convinced the gun WOULDNT just get up and start shooting.... She's not one of the new fangled child brides I hear theyre bringing in the the middle east :wtf: :lol: :lol:

Nah, seriously good stuff getting the girls involved :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

PreviousNext

Return to Victorian gun laws