50bmg, 416 barret.....

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

50bmg, 416 barret.....

Post by GreymanTRG » 12 Feb 2017, 1:27 pm

Hi all,

New here. Been shooting long range with 30 cals for a while and was looking at getting a 50bmg. Guy at the range told me you had to be a member of Military rifle club here in Vic for LSD to approve a PTA for one. Spoke to Mildura long range club said you have to be a member for 3 months then an endorsement letter is required to submit with PTA. Does this apply to cals modeled on the 50bmg as well like the 416 barret or 460 steyr?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated
GreymanTRG
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: 50bmg, 416 barret.....

Post by brett1868 » 12 Feb 2017, 10:11 pm

Not knowing the Vic rules I'm not sure on the regulations regarding 50BMG derivatives, maybe ask Paul Cohrs from the LRSC as he'll know. Next comp for 50BMG is April 1st if you can get out there for a look round, they'll even let you shoot a 50 for the price of ammo which I'd recommend trying. I'll be heading down the Thursday night for Friday practise and Saturday comp and happy to lend you a rifle and ammo at cost if you want to have a go. The .416 Barrett is one of my favourites, I have a M99 single shot heavy barrel and a DTA HTI.

Forget about the .460 Steyr as Ammo, Projectiles, Dies and knowledge are very had to source in Aus. The 50 is easy to source factory ammo or components for reloading whereas there's 2 commercial suppliers of loaded .416 Barrett, me and a guy in W.A and components are generally available from a few shops :)

check the video below for McMillan Tac50, Barrett M99 .416 & DTA HTI 50. You'll see just how much the DTA boots me compared to the M99 :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IgpMyulag

Good luck and get in touch if Mildura's an option for you in April.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Heckler303 » 13 Feb 2017, 5:44 am

I'm going to wait for that one guy that will come here and say "Why do you need a 50BMG for?" Or some similar fuddism.
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Supaduke » 13 Feb 2017, 6:33 am

Surely a 49BMG is enough....
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 6:52 am

You don't look real comfortable shooting them Brett :D 50's are fun but bloody expensive to run and no doubt the others are much the same.

I think Michelle and John will be down there in April too (something about an opportunity to win a trip to the U.S. to shoot in some comp over there (would be a fun shoot too I'd imagine).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 8:11 am

Although there are several derivatives, I've only heard of the actual 50Browning being 'restricted' in Vic.... It would take a phone call to LRD, if they dont know the answer (wouldnt surprise), then a PTA (wont cost anything to find out)....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 9:59 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the 50cal been around for over 100yrs or so now, no doubt the anti firearms retards would consider this new technology too. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 11:10 am

bigfellascott wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the 50cal been around for over 100yrs or so now, no doubt the anti firearms retards would consider this new technology too. :lol:

The Browning is literally a scale up 30-06 (or '03??) developed shortly after that, but i think after the ww1.... so yes, if the lever shottie is new tech, then the 50Browning is super new cutting edge tech...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 11:30 am

bigfellascott wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the 50cal been around for over 100yrs or so now, no doubt the anti firearms retards would consider this new technology too. :lol:

Officially entered service 1921 which makes it hyper dangerous future tech compared to the "New tech" lever guns.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 12:29 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:

The Browning is literally a scale up 30-06 (or '03??) developed shortly after that, but i think after the ww1.... so yes, if the lever shottie is new tech, then the 50Browning is super new cutting edge tech...

Yep based on the 30/06 - invented around 1910 apparently going by what I've read.

brett1868 wrote:

Officially entered service 1921 which makes it hyper dangerous future tech compared to the "New tech" lever guns.

Super lethal new technology for sure :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 4:24 pm

bentaz wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Surely a 49BMG is enough....

I wish brett would custom build a 51bmg :unknown:

Technically the 50 BMG is 0.510 :) and I have a custom on the way...hopefully picking it up late next week :)

Next project will be a .375 Wildcat based on a necked down .416 Barrett case for 3200m competition.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 4:32 pm

You don't look real comfortable shooting them Brett 50's are fun but bloody expensive to run and no doubt the others are much the same.

I wasn't....I shot the DTA first and it knocked a filling outta my back tooth, you'll see on my cheek where my tongue is exploring the new found hole. Every shot after that resulted in excruciating pain which is why several shots of the M99 I wasn't resting my cheek on the stock. A quick trip to the dentist and I'm not flinching anymore :)
They are awesome fun, especially executing watermelons at close range :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9uWBSCukE
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 6:02 pm

bentaz wrote:
Supaduke wrote:Surely a 49BMG is enough....

I wish brett would custom build a 51bmg :unknown:

haha got me a thinking.... so I chucked a 70cal pro into the BMG case (in cad)....and I came up with a rimless 700H&H NE (+10mm).....so I guess it has been done.....in case you were wondering. :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by albat » 13 Feb 2017, 6:04 pm

What sort of accuracy can you get out of these cannons ?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 6:15 pm

brett1868 wrote:
You don't look real comfortable shooting them Brett 50's are fun but bloody expensive to run and no doubt the others are much the same.

I wasn't....I shot the DTA first and it knocked a filling outta my back tooth, you'll see on my cheek where my tongue is exploring the new found hole. Every shot after that resulted in excruciating pain which is why several shots of the M99 I wasn't resting my cheek on the stock. A quick trip to the dentist and I'm not flinching anymore :)
They are awesome fun, especially executing watermelons at close range :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9uWBSCukE

I thought something was a miss with the way you kept lifting your head after each shot and then not putting you cheek on the cheek rest
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GreymanTRG » 13 Feb 2017, 6:45 pm

Thanks for replys guys. Spoke to LSD today and i was told that the M99B would have to go to tech services to get approved for a PTA.

Will rack your mind in the future if i go ahead with it Brett1868. Mildura is about a 6 hour drive will try and work around my roster to get there.
GreymanTRG
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 13 Feb 2017, 7:17 pm

OMG they kick like a donkey getting kicked in the head....That's insane. Knowing my luck shooting one of those cannons, I would receive a scope kiss PMSL. Your not a small lad and they were rockin you :drinks: :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Feb 2017, 7:28 pm

GreymanTRG wrote:Thanks for replys guys. Spoke to LSD today and i was told that the M99B would have to go to tech services to get approved for a PTA.

Will rack your mind in the future if i go ahead with it Brett1868. Mildura is about a 6 hour drive will try and work around my roster to get there.

To f***ing tech services???

Thats exactly why we need to end the registry.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 9:22 pm

Sam45 wrote:OMG they kick like a donkey getting kicked in the head....That's insane. Knowing my luck shooting one of those cannons, I would receive a scope kiss PMSL. Your not a small lad and they were rockin you :drinks: :thumbsup:

Has happened.....and I've got speciality "Weatherby" approved eyebrow Band-Aids in the console :)

63kg 70+ yr old mate having a go, he wanted to stop after the first shot but not wanting to be a pussy he man'd up for a 2nd go. Thus by securing his Platinum Mancard for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HFqSaZW5g
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 9:26 pm

GreymanTRG wrote:Thanks for replys guys. Spoke to LSD today and i was told that the M99B would have to go to tech services to get approved for a PTA.

Mildura is 12-14hrs for me but I like driving so it doesn't bother me. What's a M99B ? I'm familiar with the M99 being a single shot .416 or 50 and the M98B .338 Lap. Where's it coming from? Cause if not already sourced I know where a M99 50 with heavy barrel is, new in box :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 10:02 pm

What's your mate shooting there Brett - the 416?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What's your mate shooting there Brett - the 416?

DTA HTI in 50BMG...nothing but the biggest for my mate :) Laurie was a professional shooter for several decades and a top notch gunsmith, the 50 was on his bucket list so I helped him cross it off. He's a great guy and I make a point of paying him a visit when I'm up his way, so much knowledge to be had from talking to him.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 10:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What's your mate shooting there Brett - the 416?

DTA HTI in 50BMG...nothing but the biggest for my mate :) Laurie was a professional shooter for several decades and a top notch gunsmith, the 50 was on his bucket list so I helped him cross it off. He's a great guy and I make a point of paying him a visit when I'm up his way, so much knowledge to be had from talking to him.

Geezus she jumps around a lot, might need a bigger brake on it mate (looks like a light rifle in) :D Can't say I noticed anything like that with Harbs one. The other thing I noticed in the vid was the way your mate was sitting (could be the angle of the camera) but looks like he had his right shoulder sort of twisted which wouldn't have helped him much re the recoil (he should be square on so to speak (hard to explain) maybe let him shoot it prone on the ground next time, should be more comfortable for him I'd imagine. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 13 Feb 2017, 11:04 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Geezus she jumps around a lot, might need a bigger brake on it mate (looks like a light rifle in) :D Can't say I noticed anything like that with Harbs one. The other thing I noticed in the vid was the way your mate was sitting (could be the angle of the camera) but looks like he had his right shoulder sort of twisted which wouldn't have helped him much re the recoil (he should be square on so to speak (hard to explain) maybe let him shoot it prone on the ground next time, should be more comfortable for him I'd imagine. :D

BFG, have you ever shot a "Hi Cal" Prone on the ground.. I think it may give you a huge difference than sitting up on a bench where you can roll with the kick, so to speak.

Both Brett & Harb are friends in this field... Perhaps I invite you all out to a sighting in at home here and see what you think working off a proper target weight/stable benchrest bench...

I'll watch... No way I'm firing one of those animals.... :D
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 11:11 pm

Apollo wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

BFG, have you ever shot a "Hi Cal" Prone on the ground.. I think it may give you a huge difference than sitting up on a bench where you can roll with the kick, so to speak.

Both Brett & Harb are friends in this field... Perhaps I invite you all out to a sighting in at home here and see what you think working off a proper target weight/stable benchrest bench...

I'll watch... No way I'm firing one of those animals.... :D

Can't remember if I have fired it off the ground or not now but they seem to do a lot of it in the comps from what I've seen, the 50's don't kick that much to be honest (well not the one I've used) and I know Harb very well mate, we've been out hunting/camping together quite a bit over the years (was only speaking to his wife the other day as a matter of fact). :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 13 Feb 2017, 11:32 pm

Well, lets see what I can organise....

Harb, from Parkes and an Amateur Radio Operator as I am. Brett, like you a solid fellow. Me, a skinny tall piece of s**t that can't shoot for ????

We'll see what happens.

Remember, it's sighting in... I don't have access to 1km any more but 800m is on the cards. I'll give you all a run with a proper "Target Rifle" then see how we all go at short range to test your accuracy, trigger, wind reading skills which come very much into practice for just ordinary varminting... No pun, no shot at anyone so to speak. Scott, I'll even show you how to sharpen a Chainsaw with just a file..... :friends: :sarcasm: :friends:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 11:35 pm

Apollo wrote:Well, lets see what I can organise....

Harb, from Parkes and an Amateur Radio Operator as I am. Brett, like you a solid fellow. Me, a skinny tall piece of s**t that can't shoot for ????

We'll see what happens.

Remember, it's sighting in... I don't have access to 1km any more but 800m is on the cards. I'll give you all a run with a proper "Target Rifle" then see how we all go at short range to test your accuracy, trigger, wind reading skills which come very much into practice for just ordinary varminting... No pun, no shot at anyone so to speak. Scott, I'll even show you how to sharpen a Chainsaw with just a file..... :friends: :sarcasm: :friends:

He's not in Parkes mate (use to be years ago) but down Sitney way now. :thumbsup:

I don't think you'll want the louden boomers bangin away around your joint, noisy bastards they are but that muzzle blast is something worth experiencing at least once :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 13 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm

Scott, I know where he lives now.
I'm willing to take on the "bangers" and Brett has an open invitation... we just haven't been able to put it together when it's not freezing cold or stinking hot like last week when I nearly died...really.... I was f***ed. "000" was on the cards.
I'd love to put it together and see you in action, just target... hole/paper shooting, would make me laugh... No Rabbits/Fox's as I've shot them all out....
Cheers...

Oh...BTW.
If you really get bored and can't hit a target I have a Clay Target Thrower and a few boxes of Clay's you can practise with.... :unknown: :lol: :unknown:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 7:04 am

Apollo wrote:Scott, I know where he lives now.
I'm willing to take on the "bangers" and Brett has an open invitation... we just haven't been able to put it together when it's not freezing cold or stinking hot like last week when I nearly died...really.... I was f***ed. "000" was on the cards.
I'd love to put it together and see you in action, just target... hole/paper shooting, would make me laugh... No Rabbits/Fox's as I've shot them all out....
Cheers...

Oh...BTW.
If you really get bored and can't hit a target I have a Clay Target Thrower and a few boxes of Clay's you can practise with.... :unknown: :lol: :unknown:

Yeh nah thanks anyway not interested. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 7:19 am

bentaz wrote:The DTA's look crap to shoot compaired to the others.
"When" i get a .50 I'll definitely be passing the dta over for a barret or something else.

I think my mates is a Barrett from memory, seems to be a lot nicer to shoot compared to the DTA (it looks bigger and heavier by the looks of it compared to the DTA which would make it more pleasant to shoot) certainly looks like it going by ol mates results :lol: poor bugger got smashed about by it alright.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws