50bmg, 416 barret.....

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Re: 50bmg, 416 barret.....

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 9:22 pm

Sam45 wrote:OMG they kick like a donkey getting kicked in the head....That's insane. Knowing my luck shooting one of those cannons, I would receive a scope kiss PMSL. Your not a small lad and they were rockin you :drinks: :thumbsup:

Has happened.....and I've got speciality "Weatherby" approved eyebrow Band-Aids in the console :)

63kg 70+ yr old mate having a go, he wanted to stop after the first shot but not wanting to be a pussy he man'd up for a 2nd go. Thus by securing his Platinum Mancard for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HFqSaZW5g
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 9:26 pm

GreymanTRG wrote:Thanks for replys guys. Spoke to LSD today and i was told that the M99B would have to go to tech services to get approved for a PTA.

Will rack your mind in the future if i go ahead with it Brett1868. Mildura is about a 6 hour drive will try and work around my roster to get there.

Mildura is 12-14hrs for me but I like driving so it doesn't bother me. What's a M99B ? I'm familiar with the M99 being a single shot .416 or 50 and the M98B .338 Lap. Where's it coming from? Cause if not already sourced I know where a M99 50 with heavy barrel is, new in box :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 10:02 pm

What's your mate shooting there Brett - the 416?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2017, 10:32 pm

bigfellascott wrote:What's your mate shooting there Brett - the 416?

DTA HTI in 50BMG...nothing but the biggest for my mate :) Laurie was a professional shooter for several decades and a top notch gunsmith, the 50 was on his bucket list so I helped him cross it off. He's a great guy and I make a point of paying him a visit when I'm up his way, so much knowledge to be had from talking to him.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 10:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What's your mate shooting there Brett - the 416?

DTA HTI in 50BMG...nothing but the biggest for my mate :) Laurie was a professional shooter for several decades and a top notch gunsmith, the 50 was on his bucket list so I helped him cross it off. He's a great guy and I make a point of paying him a visit when I'm up his way, so much knowledge to be had from talking to him.

Geezus she jumps around a lot, might need a bigger brake on it mate (looks like a light rifle in) :D Can't say I noticed anything like that with Harbs one. The other thing I noticed in the vid was the way your mate was sitting (could be the angle of the camera) but looks like he had his right shoulder sort of twisted which wouldn't have helped him much re the recoil (he should be square on so to speak (hard to explain) maybe let him shoot it prone on the ground next time, should be more comfortable for him I'd imagine. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 13 Feb 2017, 11:04 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
Geezus she jumps around a lot, might need a bigger brake on it mate (looks like a light rifle in) :D Can't say I noticed anything like that with Harbs one. The other thing I noticed in the vid was the way your mate was sitting (could be the angle of the camera) but looks like he had his right shoulder sort of twisted which wouldn't have helped him much re the recoil (he should be square on so to speak (hard to explain) maybe let him shoot it prone on the ground next time, should be more comfortable for him I'd imagine. :D

BFG, have you ever shot a "Hi Cal" Prone on the ground.. I think it may give you a huge difference than sitting up on a bench where you can roll with the kick, so to speak.

Both Brett & Harb are friends in this field... Perhaps I invite you all out to a sighting in at home here and see what you think working off a proper target weight/stable benchrest bench...

I'll watch... No way I'm firing one of those animals.... :D
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 11:11 pm

Apollo wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

BFG, have you ever shot a "Hi Cal" Prone on the ground.. I think it may give you a huge difference than sitting up on a bench where you can roll with the kick, so to speak.

Both Brett & Harb are friends in this field... Perhaps I invite you all out to a sighting in at home here and see what you think working off a proper target weight/stable benchrest bench...

I'll watch... No way I'm firing one of those animals.... :D

Can't remember if I have fired it off the ground or not now but they seem to do a lot of it in the comps from what I've seen, the 50's don't kick that much to be honest (well not the one I've used) and I know Harb very well mate, we've been out hunting/camping together quite a bit over the years (was only speaking to his wife the other day as a matter of fact). :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 13 Feb 2017, 11:32 pm

Well, lets see what I can organise....

Harb, from Parkes and an Amateur Radio Operator as I am. Brett, like you a solid fellow. Me, a skinny tall piece of s**t that can't shoot for ????

We'll see what happens.

Remember, it's sighting in... I don't have access to 1km any more but 800m is on the cards. I'll give you all a run with a proper "Target Rifle" then see how we all go at short range to test your accuracy, trigger, wind reading skills which come very much into practice for just ordinary varminting... No pun, no shot at anyone so to speak. Scott, I'll even show you how to sharpen a Chainsaw with just a file..... :friends: :sarcasm: :friends:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Feb 2017, 11:35 pm

Apollo wrote:Well, lets see what I can organise....

Harb, from Parkes and an Amateur Radio Operator as I am. Brett, like you a solid fellow. Me, a skinny tall piece of s**t that can't shoot for ????

We'll see what happens.

Remember, it's sighting in... I don't have access to 1km any more but 800m is on the cards. I'll give you all a run with a proper "Target Rifle" then see how we all go at short range to test your accuracy, trigger, wind reading skills which come very much into practice for just ordinary varminting... No pun, no shot at anyone so to speak. Scott, I'll even show you how to sharpen a Chainsaw with just a file..... :friends: :sarcasm: :friends:

He's not in Parkes mate (use to be years ago) but down Sitney way now. :thumbsup:

I don't think you'll want the louden boomers bangin away around your joint, noisy bastards they are but that muzzle blast is something worth experiencing at least once :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Apollo » 13 Feb 2017, 11:44 pm

Scott, I know where he lives now.
I'm willing to take on the "bangers" and Brett has an open invitation... we just haven't been able to put it together when it's not freezing cold or stinking hot like last week when I nearly died...really.... I was f***ed. "000" was on the cards.
I'd love to put it together and see you in action, just target... hole/paper shooting, would make me laugh... No Rabbits/Fox's as I've shot them all out....
Cheers...

Oh...BTW.
If you really get bored and can't hit a target I have a Clay Target Thrower and a few boxes of Clay's you can practise with.... :unknown: :lol: :unknown:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 7:04 am

Apollo wrote:Scott, I know where he lives now.
I'm willing to take on the "bangers" and Brett has an open invitation... we just haven't been able to put it together when it's not freezing cold or stinking hot like last week when I nearly died...really.... I was f***ed. "000" was on the cards.
I'd love to put it together and see you in action, just target... hole/paper shooting, would make me laugh... No Rabbits/Fox's as I've shot them all out....
Cheers...

Oh...BTW.
If you really get bored and can't hit a target I have a Clay Target Thrower and a few boxes of Clay's you can practise with.... :unknown: :lol: :unknown:

Yeh nah thanks anyway not interested. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 7:19 am

bentaz wrote:The DTA's look crap to shoot compaired to the others.
"When" i get a .50 I'll definitely be passing the dta over for a barret or something else.

I think my mates is a Barrett from memory, seems to be a lot nicer to shoot compared to the DTA (it looks bigger and heavier by the looks of it compared to the DTA which would make it more pleasant to shoot) certainly looks like it going by ol mates results :lol: poor bugger got smashed about by it alright.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 7:50 am

Harb has a Steyr HS50 M1 which has an awesome brake on it which reduces recoil to something akin to a .308, I had one and sent it back to Winchester and got my money back due to quality control issues. The "Bench" we use up the farm was made from the end section of the comb off a combine harvester. It was the right shape and made of steel so we welded 3 legs and a bit of a frame on it, the "seat" is a 20L drum with a towel on it. This isn't the best or most comfortable setup for the bigger guns but it's what we have till I build a concrete bench. The DTA is substantially lighter then the Steyr and has a much smaller brake, I have shot it standing a few times, even managed to hit a giant bunny but it'll knock you on your a$$ if you're not leaning into it :)
As for accuracy, a DTA using factory ammunition scored a better 600m group then a Steyr running reloads at the LRSC comp last Aug. That says a lot about both the rifle and the shooter, will be interesting to see how well he does with a tuned load. This April's FCSA comp I'll take the Tac-50 again along with "Project50" and lodge a score in 2 classes providing I can get a reasonable load developed for the new gun and the barrels been properly "Broken in".
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 8:04 am

And Apollo...time permitting I'll endeavour to call in on my way home from Mildura so maybe start buttering up the neighbours and handing out free ear plugs :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 9:31 am

Steyr thanks for that Brett been a while since I used the loudenboomer :thumbsup:

You should go real well in the next shoot - no doubt plenty will show up to try and win the trip to the US.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL MATE :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 10:24 am

bigfellascott wrote:Steyr thanks for that Brett been a while since I used the loudenboomer :thumbsup:

You should go real well in the next shoot - no doubt plenty will show up to try and win the trip to the US.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL MATE :thumbsup:

What's this trip to the U.S thing? Seen you mentioned it a few times but didn't think to ask you about it. No mention of any trip on the lrsc website or Facebook page, when it comes to marketing / advertising the boys down there need to really step up their game.

My U.S trip is looking more and more unlikely due to time running out to get the rifle finished and finding a load. Spent up huge on CE 798gr projectiles and 3 cases of 750gr AMAX's in readiness. Export permits, accommodation and the logistics of getting the big gun to the U.S means a couple months minimum lead time with the cut off approaching rapidly. I'll stir the smith up now and see where the stocks at cause it was scheduled to ship 10 days ago.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2017, 12:17 pm

Michelle mentioned something about a comp coming up and the winner gets a paid trip over to some comp over there (I think that's right).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sam45 » 14 Feb 2017, 7:49 pm

brett1868 wrote:
Sam45 wrote:OMG they kick like a donkey getting kicked in the head....That's insane. Knowing my luck shooting one of those cannons, I would receive a scope kiss PMSL. Your not a small lad and they were rockin you :drinks: :thumbsup:

Has happened.....and I've got speciality "Weatherby" approved eyebrow Band-Aids in the console :)

63kg 70+ yr old mate having a go, he wanted to stop after the first shot but not wanting to be a pussy he man'd up for a 2nd go. Thus by securing his Platinum Mancard for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8HFqSaZW5g

Ah yep, the kiss of recoil! Yep one shot is just not enough. Still though, darn powerful :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 14 Feb 2017, 11:05 pm

Ah yep, the kiss of recoil! Yep one shot is just not enough. Still though, darn powerful

What some refer to as recoil, I consider it foreplay :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Feb 2017, 8:05 am

brett1868 wrote:
Ah yep, the kiss of recoil! Yep one shot is just not enough. Still though, darn powerful

What some refer to as recoil, I consider it foreplay :D

THANKS.
I now have this image of you sitting back, naked, caressing your...... gun.... :? :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Heckler303 » 15 Feb 2017, 3:53 pm

And that is why we have the term 'ammosexual' genesis :D
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Feb 2017, 4:00 pm

So Brett identifies as ammosexual??
Dont assume his gender...

anyhoo, 50cal is passe .............
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2017, 4:12 pm

The next project is on the boards pending the greenlight from Governor General's department. It'll make almost every bolt-action rifle in the country its bitch :twisted:
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 15 Feb 2017, 4:25 pm

So you've finally gone the Vulcan??
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by brett1868 » 15 Feb 2017, 8:40 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:So you've finally gone the Vulcan??

Well....it's based on 20mm Vulcan brass :) No secret that I've lusted after the Anzio 20/50 for several years now. I've received the greenlight from the NSW registry to import as a standard Cat B and now I'm waiting on confirmation from GG's dept. to approve the import cause state approval means nothing at the federal level. Actually chased up border force yesterday and waiting for my contact there to get back to me with a status. All going good with approvals I'll get the dies / brass sorted while waiting for it to be built / shipped.
Failing approvals I'll just build a 375 wildcat on a necked down 416 Barrett case :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws