PTA for first firearm

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

PTA for first firearm

Post by MrB » 15 Feb 2017, 5:12 pm

Hey guys,

I have a question about the permit to acquire process for my first firearm.

Some friends at the club have told me that when it comes to the PTA that I shouldn't worry about getting one myself because the dealer can organise it all for me.

Is this process the same for my first firearm? The police wouldn't have my storage location and what not on file so I just assume that the dealer will just give me the generic form to fill out at the counter so they can send it off and then I begin the month long wait?

Also, when I did the safety course, the DVO for my area said that when you get your first firearm they will inspect your storage facilities to make sure they are compliant with the relevant legislation. Does this normally happen after I have been give the PTA or after?

Many thanks,

Mr B
MrB
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: PTA for first firearm

Post by Substance » 15 Feb 2017, 7:03 pm

I put in my 2 ptas the same day i applied for a licence.

Both arrived 1 day after my licence. No inspection yet.
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 15 Feb 2017, 8:35 pm

Regarding the PTA you have 2 options.

Wait for licence, then apply for the PTA - total time, 56 days plus postage.

#2 (smarter option)
First PTA and licence cooling off periods are concurrent. So download a PTA form, print it, fill it in and send it with your licence.

Re inspection - no idea dude, been 2+ years and I haven't had any visitors.

Also, are you talking about rifles or pistols? I assume rifle, in which case what's the club for? Just pay $15 to DPI for intention to hunt letter and that's that. Or game permit, a bit more expensive. Unless you really like the club of course.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by MrB » 15 Feb 2017, 9:50 pm

juststarting wrote:Regarding the PTA you have 2 options.

Wait for licence, then apply for the PTA - total time, 56 days plus postage.

#2 (smarter option)
First PTA and licence cooling off periods are concurrent. So download a PTA form, print it, fill it in and send it with your licence.

Re inspection - no idea dude, been 2+ years and I haven't had any visitors.

Also, are you talking about rifles or pistols? I assume rifle, in which case what's the club for? Just pay $15 to DPI for intention to hunt letter and that's that. Or game permit, a bit more expensive. Unless you really like the club of course.

Sorry mate I should have been more specific. I already have my A/B firearms licence. So basically all I am trying to work out is whether I apply and receive the PTA myself and then go to the gun store to purchase, or whether I can go to the gun store, have the dealer organise the PTA, and then come back 28 days later.

And I am talking about rifles, .22 target shooting.

Cheers
MrB
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Feb 2017, 9:58 pm

In that case, yes, store is infinitely more sane option. Just call them and ask to do one for you, then wait for a call or SMS from the store when it's back. I have only seen a PTA form once myself and that's when a friend was sending one with his license application. Everything else is via a phone call to a shop.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 21 Feb 2017, 7:31 am

Not too sure the PTA laws in Victoria but in QLD I lodged my PTA's the same day I lodged my cat A/B application. Took note of the reference/case number of the application. License approval came in about 3 weeks, I waited about another week and then called QWL and informed them I had a PTA in and was just following up on it (very politely) and I got an approval email that same day! :D Just don't forget though, once your PTA's are approved to ask weapons licensing via a call to forward a copy of your PTA to your preferred dealer (if the dealer is not your local) that way it speeds up the process of purchasing your firearms to save on receiving the PTA's in the mail and then sending them to the dealer (saves you about a week or so).
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gizardry » 10 Mar 2017, 12:57 pm

If you have got your licence. I think it is better to lodge your PTA by yourself.
Complete the pernonal info sction and just write 'A' on the PTA( if you are applying for a CAT A firearm in VIC), if you want, say 3 CAT A firearms, you can put three As there.
Say you submitted the PTA with 3 CAT As. You will receive 3 blank CAT A permit. You can just shop around with any local dealer or private CAT A owner.

I am not sure what would happen if you apply a PTA with a dealer and don't want to shop with them when the PTA gets approved. Will they just happily hand you your permit?

For CAT B firearms, the local DFO told me some info that is not consist with what is on the application form.
I would say, first get a CAT A firearm(apply by yourself), air rifle, shotgun, rims....what ever. Get anyone and you no longer have that 28 days waiting period.
Then you can pretty much buy a CAT A/B when ever you like.
Gizardry
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Skitz » 26 Apr 2017, 4:34 am

Sweet info guy, I was looking for this for a while :lol:
Skitz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Apr 2017, 10:02 am

Unless you have ALREADY CHOSEN the rifle at the LGS;

Do the PTA application yourself, send it email. piece of cake.

Otherwise, your bound to purchase a rifle at the LGS that holds your permit (when it returns) I'm not sure how they'd respond to you asking to take the permit, theyd either refuse, and possibly claim it in 'their' name.... or charge for their time, plus the 9buck fee....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by js3030 » 08 Sep 2017, 4:18 pm

Lokvo wrote:Not too sure the PTA laws in Victoria but in QLD I lodged my PTA's the same day I lodged my cat A/B application. Took note of the reference/case number of the application. License approval came in about 3 weeks, I waited about another week and then called QWL and informed them I had a PTA in and was just following up on it (very politely) and I got an approval email that same day! :D Just don't forget though, once your PTA's are approved to ask weapons licensing via a call to forward a copy of your PTA to your preferred dealer (if the dealer is not your local) that way it speeds up the process of purchasing your firearms to save on receiving the PTA's in the mail and then sending them to the dealer (saves you about a week or so).

How recently did you do your cat A/B application Lokov?
I'm in Queensland and I've had my A/B licence application in for a month. Do you think I should go ahead and submit my application for PTA now?
js3030
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by matto9018 » 04 Oct 2017, 12:30 pm

I’m still waiting for my first PTA
I did course 11th June. Did application online 14th June, Id check 15th June.
Did PTA in dealer shop on 25th July.
Finally heard from weapons licensing on 14th Sept and got license in mail 26th Sept.
Still waiting to hear from PTA, only put down bolt .22
Anyone did similar what I did?

Cheers
matto9018
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by js3030 » 31 Oct 2017, 12:56 pm

Just received an email acknowledging my licence approval - took exactly 11 weeks from the day I did my ID check at the police station.
I have had a PTA application in for almost 4 weeks - we'll see how much longer that takes.
js3030
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 31 Oct 2017, 4:42 pm

my understanding is that you have to have your firearms licence in Vic to apply for a PTA, you can send the PTA application off with your licence application but it only saves you postage time, you have to wait the 28 days for your licence and then 28 days for your first PTA
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 31 Oct 2017, 4:45 pm

marksman wrote:my understanding is that you have to have your firearms licence in Vic to apply for a PTA, you can send the PTA application off with your licence application but it only saves you postage time, you have to wait the 28 days for your licence and then 28 days for your first PTA

Incorrect. They can be waited out concurrently.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 31 Oct 2017, 5:05 pm

Its way quicker through the dealer, they are pretty swamped lately, my LGS put pta's in on Thursday that only arrived monday, its normally almost instant but they seem backlogged after amnesty.That being said i had a pta approved in bugger all on monday so I really dont know, but they cat a(Gecado 27 and .22 Browning pump), maybe they take a bit more time vetting catb, just incase horror of horrors somebody already has rifles they consider adequate for "genuine reasons"!

Have you got a safe yet? Make sure you get one bigger than you think you will need, they fill up fast!

Welcome to the hobby/sport/obsession! Im only new myself and so far every firearms owner ive met since having my license have been so friendly and welcoming i cant find the words to accurately convey it, unlike many other hobbies/sports that can really be full of f#$$%wits!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 31 Oct 2017, 5:09 pm

That's because we have guns, why wouldn't we be friendly :) Unlike that lawn bowls crowd, those savages.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws