One Nations Firearms Policy

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

One Nations Firearms Policy

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Feb 2017, 1:29 pm

Sounds fair and reasonable to me.

http://www.onenation.com.au/policies/firearms
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: One Nations Firearms Policy

Post by Gun-nut » 22 Feb 2017, 6:33 pm

"New gun policy under review" has me interested. Hopefully their new policy, once finished will benefit gun owners-its important that we keep writing to ON senators, they're obviously listening to gun owners, so lets be heard. I also see they have emitted their stance on supporting the status quo, I imagine they're waiting until after the WA and possibly QLD state elections before they release their full gun policy, should be interesting.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 23 Feb 2017, 4:51 am

What is an "illegal gun?" I thought all guns were legal over there, just that ownership required the proper category license?
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Feb 2017, 6:49 am

We have prohibited firearms and illegal ones too.

Those are the ones gained by nefarious means and have avoided any registration. You know like the 303 that your great grand daddy used in WWI And has been stored in your garage for 50 years..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 23 Feb 2017, 9:37 am

Wylie27 wrote:We have prohibited firearms and illegal ones too.

Those are the ones gained by nefarious means and have avoided any registration. You know like the 303 that your great grand daddy used in WWI And has been stored in your garage for 50 years..

That's what I thought. So if somebody steals your car does it become an illegal car or can you get it back :mad:
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by albat » 23 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

As mentioned before new gun policy under review is interesting would be better getting it out there sooner rather than later before the state elections if its of benefit to shooters im sure she would snare plenty of rusted on Lnp and labor voters who have had a gutfull of political correctness
Last edited by albat on 23 Feb 2017, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Feb 2017, 2:50 pm

Title_II wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:We have prohibited firearms and illegal ones too.

That's what I thought. So if somebody steals your car does it become an illegal car or can you get it back :mad:

It becomes illegal and stays that way generally.. you need to apply to get it back, jump through hoops and hope it hasn't been destroyed..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Feb 2017, 4:08 pm

Assuming that you have reported the car "as stolen' to the Police and Insurance Company, the vehicle may become the property of the said company. (?)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Feb 2017, 4:20 pm

IMO The One Nation Firearms Policy reads more like a political speel than a actual Policy and appears to be lacking in details.

Also, the "New gun Policy under review" is a little bit concerning, like what exactly is under review?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Feb 2017, 8:14 pm

RoginaJack wrote:IMO The One Nation Firearms Policy reads more like a political speel than a actual Policy and appears to be lacking in details.

Also, the "New gun Policy under review" is a little bit concerning, like what exactly is under review?

I don't think its concerning at all, ON senators have showed support for the firearms community several times within recent months, Pauline herself opposed the 96' buyback. I think they're waiting until the election is over before they release their policy to avoid heat from the anti-gun media.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Feb 2017, 8:47 pm

RoginaJack wrote:IMO The One Nation Firearms Policy reads more like a political speel than a actual Policy and appears to be lacking in details.

One nation in recent memory held the line that the current laws were good and did not need changing.....

Previous policy:
Pauline Hanson’s One Nation Firearms Policy is based on the following principles:
Shooting is a legitimate sport and pastime and participants should be treated accordingly.
Current gun laws are adequate and should remain unchanged.
Tougher sentencing on gun related crimes is required.
Australians have the right to defend themselves and their families in their own homes.
Disarming law abiding Australians is not in the national interest and will do nothing to reduce crime.
Increased inspection of shipping containers entering Australia, especially those ports that have no border security or next
to none.

from that there are 2 directions; either MORE gun control, or LESS.... I'd be betting its the latter..
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Feb 2017, 8:50 pm

This is a bit long,I hope its not posted elsewhere, but a good read..... Imagine if someone stood up in Parliament with this speech, how long would they last....

Australians have always had reasonable access to firearms, and
law-abiding citizens have always had an understandable expectation that individual ownership
would continue, as indeed would the facility for them to pursue their sporting pastime. This
reasonable expectation has lost ground daily. Australian firearm owners quite rightly believe
the day is coming when the civilian population will be disarmed and only those who break the
law will possess firearms.
The uniform gun laws were ill-conceived and rushed through without thought or
consultation. Any proposed need has no basis in fact and is an affront to anyone who is even
slightly informed of the facts and figures. Dr Adam Graycar, from the Australian Institute of
Criminology, has stated that banning semiautomatic firearms will do nothing to prevent the
majority of Australian gun deaths.
While I would certainly not advocate illegitimate ownership of such firearms, we cannot
escape the fact that even just in the case of centre-fire semiautomatic rifles, the majority of
which are military style, there are in excess of a million such firearms in Australia, yet this
style accounts for less than two per cent of Australian firearm deaths.
Despite the free access to millions of firearms in Australia, the available data shows the
number of murders committed with firearms since 1979 has been in a steady downward trend,
despite the rise in murders generally over the same period. It should also be acknowledged
that this period of general decline covered the peak years of importation for the so-called
military style semiautomatic firearms. In fact, this period shows that an average of 92
murders, or 20 to 30 per cent of the total murders committed each year, were carried out with
firearms. Many more people are murdered by other means.
Since 1990, there has been a rapid increase in murders committed with sharp instruments.
These alone far outnumber murders with firearms for the same period—again, despite the vast
availability of firearms. Even when looking at suicides, where there is an alarming increase in
incidence, you will find a steady downward trend in the use of firearms. Available information
shows that since 1979 suicides have increased nearly 45 per cent but use of a firearm to
commit suicide has gone down by over 25 per cent. Since 1970, suicide with a firearm has
dropped from nearly 30 per cent of all suicides to about 17 per cent.
Removing completely inoperable guns from our war museums and paying compensation in
excessive amounts is probably one of the more foolish examples of this government's agenda.
The act of removing rusty, non-working machine guns from museums is contributing to
erasing our history and will not save a single life. A person in Darwin was paid nearly $½ a
million for 20-millimetre cannons from fighter planes. Considering that the current removal of
firearms from private ownership was largely targeted at centre-fire semiautomatics, and less
than two per cent, or 10 firearm-related deaths a year are attributable to this style of firearm,
is the $500 million buyback coupled with the unaccountable costs justifiable in the context of
the variety of weapons used to commit murder, and the many causes of accidental deaths?
Perhaps as many as 50,000 Australians die each year through the effects of diseases caused
by alcohol and tobacco. What impact would the $500 million have had in reducing these
horrendous figures. Each year, countless thousands die in road accidents and in all manner of
other activities, yet are we to believe that these and the deaths from alcohol and tobacco are
somehow more acceptable because so many people drink and smoke and drive? There are
millions of firearms and firearms owners, but despite the vast numbers and the amount of use,

in context, the number of deaths is relatively low, and the government's approach cannot be
justified.
Bear in mind that removing firearms from law-abiding citizens will most likely impact only
upon accidents, and in this case, there are only about 15 fatalities each year. One thousand
people die each year from accidental falls, and 250 drown. There was no gun debate, as such.
There was no consultation or concern for the facts, merely misinformation shoved down the
throats of an understandably emotional public.
This has been a political exercise, pure and simple, with no reduction in the amount of
firearms in society. In fact, quite the contrary has occurred, as the figures show. For every
firearm turned in, approximately 1.7 modern firearms have been purchased with the
compensation. There is also the issue of the number of firearms that have literally gone
underground.
The returns do not begin to count for the estimated number of firearms. In particular,
hundreds of thousands of military style semiautomatics would seem to be missing. It is time
we acknowledge that crime is caused by economic desperation and helplessness,
unemployment, loss of hope, family breakdown, substance abuse, and cultural conflicts—not
by firearms ownership.
The Swiss experience is, perhaps, the best example. In Switzerland, there are more firearms
and fewer deaths than in Australia. The majority of firearms in that country are military
weapons—millions of them. It is only when we, as one nation, address these issues together
that crime will reduce. Violence and crime are not proportional to the availability of firearms;
they are directly linked to the security and decency of our society. Governments that pretend
otherwise are looking to hide the true causes of the situation and escape the responsibility for
addressing the real issues and, therefore, they perpetrate a lie on their people.
Saving lives, or reducing crime, was obviously not behind the government's attacks on the
private ownership of firearms. Indeed, they are guilty of the crime of using an emotional
period for political purposes. Have no doubt, the buyback has failed. There are now more
firearms out there than before, and many are modern and potentially more deadly than the
firearms they replaced. It seems that most Australians have not handed in their firearms, and
be assured, absolutely no criminals have complied.
What does the government intend to do with the millions of Australians who have not
complied? Will Australia become a police state with homes systematically raided and property
confiscated? Will the government harass, fine and gaol otherwise innocent law-abiding
Australians. History has shown that only the worst kind of government disarms its people. I
stand by my belief that Australians have the right to defend themselves and their families in
their own homes. Shooting is a legitimate sport and pastime, and participants should be
treated accordingly. Disarming law-abiding Australians is not in the national interest and will
do nothing to reduce crime. An honest government would take heed, so we can be sure this
one is not listening.
Simply put, it should be remembered that, during the last election campaign, the current
government used the slogan: `enough is enough'. Be assured that the firearm owners of
Australia are tired of unwarranted and unjustified interference. They are tired of being used as
political scapegoats and of being the victims of United Nations treaties. You can be assured
that Australia's firearm owners have adopted the Liberal-National coalition slogan because
that is exactly how they feel, that enough is enough. Always remember, outlaw firearms and
only outlaws will have them.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by twoforty » 28 Feb 2017, 2:30 pm

Title_II wrote:What is an "illegal gun?" I thought all guns were legal over there, just that ownership required the proper category license?

Basically meant to be guns smuggled into Australia and into the hands of crims.

Because they don't get them from us LAFO :thumbsup:
.243 Win Savage Axis Stainless
Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
twoforty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by trekin » 02 Mar 2017, 8:17 am

What you are reading on PHON's web page is not their firearms policy, it is only the preamble to the policy. Their current policy is the same 1998 policy, view-able here http://www.gwb.com.au/onenation/press/guns.html. It is this policy that is currently under review. I am reliability informed that it will essentially remain the same, only updated from being a QLD based policy to being a more nationally based policy. This updated policy is to be released shortly, in the meantime, however, contact them and let them know your thoughts on their older policy, and let them know that we, the shooting community (near two million of us) are mightily peeved with the actions of the Govt's, State and Federal, in regards to the Addler situation and the NFA in general. That peeved, in fact, that a lot of us will be basing our vote on this single issue. And by the way, for those unfortunate not to reside in QLD, Pauline also says that the appearance laws of other States "sounds like rot", and she is very opposed to such laws.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gun-nut » 03 Mar 2017, 4:27 pm

trekin wrote:What you are reading on PHON's web page is not their firearms policy, it is only the preamble to the policy. Their current policy is the same 1998 policy, view-able here http://www.gwb.com.au/onenation/press/guns.html. It is this policy that is currently under review. I am reliability informed that it will essentially remain the same, only updated from being a QLD based policy to being a more nationally based policy. This updated policy is to be released shortly, in the meantime, however, contact them and let them know your thoughts on their older policy, and let them know that we, the shooting community (near two million of us) are mightily peeved with the actions of the Govt's, State and Federal, in regards to the Addler situation and the NFA in general. That peeved, in fact, that a lot of us will be basing our vote on this single issue. And by the way, for those unfortunate not to reside in QLD, Pauline also says that the appearance laws of other States "sounds like rot", and she is very opposed to such laws.

That's good to hear, thanks for the update. I will say this though, I have seen a lot of support from One Nation senators and mps in favour of reducing the red tape that surrounds our firearm laws. If they support us, then they can expect support from me.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws