Wrong serial on rifle registration certificate

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Wrong serial on rifle registration certificate

Post by Octane » 23 Feb 2017, 10:42 am

Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice here as I'm maybe a little worried...

Received my certificate for a rifle but the serial number on it is wrong... So I guess I sort of have an unregistered firearm right now?

Tried the store I bought it a few times today but calling from work is tough and haven't been able to get through on my few attempts, so not sure quite what to do yet.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Wrong serial on rifle registration certificate

Post by Archie » 23 Feb 2017, 3:27 pm

I've had the same thing, dealer made a mistake and I saw when I got the certificate that the model and the serial number was wrong. Was no issue. Spoke to registry, had to go to a shop and get the dealer to sight it, then they sent something of to the registry to correct. No problem.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Feb 2017, 3:41 pm

Yeah that has been my experience. You have to get it sighted by a dealer and get them to send in the correct details. They won't do it over the phone on your say so. Same deal if the calibre [sic] listed is wrong.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Nick-J » 23 Feb 2017, 7:11 pm

I can beat that, my 300wsm wasn't even on the list when the police came around to look at my storage arrangement.

I got really worried and started ransacking a drawer looking for the certificate and the officer just said 'no worries I'll just note it down'. Judging by that response I assume errors happen a fair bit!
Nick-J
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Feb 2017, 9:59 pm

When I got in some trouble with police in Carnarvon at the interveiw I discovered my .222 and 7mm rem mag were not on my license.Fortunately I still had all the paperwork in a folder and could show the dates added at Bunbury and disposal from the shop I had purchased from.They were visibly disappointed as they thought they had an asassian.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Victorian gun laws